eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The courage of Spike Lee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> The Spike Lee Interview
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i-luv-toronto@excite.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: The courage of Spike Lee Reply with quote

I am very impressed with the independence and courage shown by Lee. I am not surprised that his work is so scrutinized. After all, this is America, home of the hypocrit.

On the one hand, we hear that there is freedom of speech and that wars are fought under the guise of preserving that right. Yet when a young gifted filmmaker addresses issues of race and inequity, he faces a barrage of negative attacks by those media personalities who profess to be true Americans.

On the other hand, if a European filmmaker approaches the same topics, often with far less insight and skill, he is praised as being corageous and inovative.

I'm sure that Mr. Lee is used to this double standard as most African Americans have grown used to being judged by the negative deeds of other African Americans. Funny how no one pre judges Caucasions by the deeds of others of that race. But, after all, this is America, isn't it?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> The Spike Lee Interview All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: