eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What book are you reading, RIGHT now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hessian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading Arthur C Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama for about the 40th time. Their finaly bringing this Clarke classic to the screen, about damed time too. Can't wait to see it.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: Really? Reply with quote

I didn't know that one came with pictures.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Welcome, new poster.
Kelly Palma
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually reading a Janet Dailey Historical Romance novel at the moment -- Embarassed

But the last really good series of books I read were by Janet Evanovich - the Stephanie Plum Mysteries. She is a Bounty Hunter from New Jersey and they are all HYSTERICALLY GOOD. They begin with One For The Money and end with Hard Eight. All of the Stephanie Books are in numerical order and each has a catchy title/phrase/theme. Trust me they are awesome. I went through them all in like two or three months
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started reading King's new anthology, Everything's Eventual.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read that a few months ago. Unfortunately, it's about half good and half crapola. I'll let you decide which half is which Smile

My favorite was "Little Sisters of Euluria"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything's Eventual is a worthy read...I grabbed it when it first came out. There's some so-so stuff in there, but I tend to think the average King short story is stronger than the average King novel. Doesn't allow him to bog down in hundred-page expositions, just cuts right to the heart of the idea he's trying to get across. Plus, I often enjoy his comments on the stories more than the stories themselves. *shrugs* What can I say, I read the whole book pretty briskly and enjoyed it more than I didn't.

Anyway, just plowed through Red Dragon before I finish my push through The Anubis Gates. It is absolutely amazing how much crime fiction owes to Thomas Harris, and how many bad or medicre writers try to ape him. And now he has to write Lecter or no one wants to see it.

Paul
Paulapalooza
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrrr.

Thought I was logged in.

Silly I.

Paul

-THE DUDE
UDM
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Atrocity Exhibition, by J. G. Ballard.

Sex, violence, and Ralph Nader. The main character's name changes every few pages. One section is titled "Why I Want to Fuck Ronald Reagan." The ultimate WTF?!?! book.

UDM
punkass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immortality by Milan Kundera. It's not quite as good as The Unbearable Lightness of Being, but that's like saying that the Sistene Chapel's not quite as good as The Last Judgement - they both vastly outstrip anything else around.

Also continuing with my Nietzsche - halfway through The Gay Science, and getting down with Peirce, America's foremost philosopher ever. Also reading a few books on Einstein, Quantum Physics and the like, trying to squeeze more knowledge into my head. Oh, and I picked up the Lonely Planet guide to Libya from the library for a laugh.
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I am reading Dazzler: The Life and Times of Moss Hart, by Steven Bach. Great biography of an unfortunately almost forgotten Broadway legend.

Alex.
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But the last really good series of books I read were by Janet Evanovich - the Stephanie Plum Mysteries.

My mom had been reading these the past few months and was trying to get me to give them a whirl, of course, I declined, figuring something that my mom was reading couldn't be any good. (The stuff she reads normally makes me zzzzz.) We were stuck on a layover between flights (a one hour layover turned into three), so I started reading High Five and couldn't put the damned thing down. Sheesh. Apparently they're super popular, too, according to this chick that started talking to me in the airport when she saw the book cover.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sporkgirl
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trenton! that's where i's from! in one of the book she meets some guy for a money exchange in my mall, and it's like, right in front of my store that shit goes down... yeah...i'm not a nerd...
Paulapalooza
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:38 am    Post subject: Plum Reply with quote

Yeah, the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich are crazy popular. I worked with books for four years in two cities, and they sold everywhere. I'm sure Maegs, ex-Borders girl, can back me up on this.

However, if you want a good-ass page-turner that's a little more in the hard-boiled department, run, don't walk, to get Dennis Lehane's A Drink Before the War. God, Lehane is good. Be sure to read him in order, though. Second is Darkness, Take My Hand. It's not a comedy, per se, but there's a lot of organic humor to go with the pain and agony.

Paul

-THE DUDE
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just starting Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle
Kelly Palma
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Plum Reply with quote

Paulapalooza wrote:
there's a lot of organic humor to go with the pain and agony.Paul

what exactly is organic humor?
Paulapalooza
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:13 pm    Post subject: organic response Reply with quote

[quote="kz917"]
Paulapalooza wrote:
there's a lot of organic humor to go with the pain and agony.Paul

what exactly is organic humor?[/quote

What I mean is that the humor flows naturally out of what you know about the characters and the situations in which they find themselves, rather than having jokes that are obviously tacked on because someone felt "it's time to be funny now." I guess i just like using the word "organic." Blame Trader Joe's and Whole Foods Market.

Using that as a segue, Christopher Moore is very good at the whole humor thing, organic or not. I'm currently reading his second novel, Coyote Blue, a hapy riff on Native American trickster god mythos. It's a shame no one's made a movie of it, because it would be a fan-frickin'-tabulous flick.

Paul

-THE DUDE
Kelly Palma
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul -- I'll have to check those books out

~kz
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: