eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THE SUSPENSE!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lindy03

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurk wrote:
Oz wrote:
you've got to think that a whole lot of people who might not have otherwise been motivated to vote came out specifically for the gay question, and voted for Bush while they were there.

I guess Bush finally found one way to get red neck voters out of the closet. There is no fanatic like a relgious one.
OMG! I know!!

S*&^!!!!! Why??? It's D-I-S-C-R-I-M-I-N-A-T-I-O-N. Nothing more, nothing less. Plain, old-fashioned, turn of another century, hide your head in the sand Discrimination. After all this time? After all of these years??? What the hell is wrong with this country??
lindy03

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles Tatum wrote:
You should have seen Katie Couric and Matt Lauer announcing the concession- Katie in black and close to tears, and Matt had the same expression on his face as he did reporting 9/11. Busy hammering the last nail in the all powerful liberal media's coffin...
I saw it...are they still on? NBC, I mean? They've been on all freaking day.

I'm sure the local stations are getting phone calls from viewers..."Where's my soap opera??? Where's Montel??? Where's Judge Judy???"

You wouldn't believe the freaking morons who call local stations with complaints.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohio electronic voting machines score 'negative 25 million' votes in problem filled election day:

http://www.vindy.com/basic/news/281829446390855.php

But hey, don't want to be a sore loser... best not to actually investigate, or make sure that all the votes are counted. I mean, it's only the Presidential election hanging on this stuff.
lindy03

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maegs wrote:
he's done HORRIBLE things. Immoral, un-Christian things. I an incensed that Bush would take my beliefs and use them for political and financial gain--and still consider himself a Christian.
-M
Bush & his ilk remind me of the sadducees & pharisees that Jesus threw out of the temple.
lindy03

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oz wrote:
But hey, don't want to be a sore loser... best not to actually investigate, or make sure that all the votes are counted. I mean, it's only the Presidential election hanging on this stuff.
Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, Thomas Paine...all of them. They are all rolling over in their graves. This country has reduced them to jokes.

All of this absolutely makes me question the entire system. It's practices. What was the US built on??? Does shrub know? Did he take history?? Or was that just another class he skipped out on?

I mean, why should I bother to live here?? Nothing is what I thought it was. Oh, the US...land of promise. Land of freedom. Bull!
Lurk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindy wrote You wouldn't believe the freaking morons who call local stations with complaints.

Quote:
“For my safety, I know he’s the one who’s going to do the job,” retiree Rebecca Lesko said after voting for Bush in Linwood, N.J. “I think (Osama) bin Laden is scared of Bush. That’s why we haven’t been bombed yet.”

I would say it's these kind of people. OBL isn't afraid of Bush. You don't need any more proof than 9/11. What has Bush done to make America more safe? What? Does any American honestly feel more safe than they did before Bush came to power?

And now, despite all evidence to the contrary about how universally hated and despised Bush is, they have thrown their lot in with him.

Dear Lord, I don't think these people realize what they have done, but I am very afraid they will find out.
lindy03

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles Tatum wrote:
But now, as my victorious Democratic senator Byron Dorgan and other liberals are pointing out, we must heal our divided nation...blow it out your combover, Byron, call Tom Daschle and ask to rent out his brand new house in Maryland.
Evil or Very Mad
OMG, you had a victorious Democrat???? You're lucky. I didn't think there were any. My entire state went Republican overnight. Governor, Lieutenant Gov., you name it, they are Republican.

Oh, with the exception of one new congressman.

That much power given to the Republicans...we're doomed as a nation.
lindy03

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurk wrote:
OBL isn't afraid of Bush. You don't need any more proof than 9/11.
I know, I know! That's why the tape turned up last Friday. So many in this country are so freaking stupid.

Lurk wrote:
What has Bush done to make America more safe? What? Does any American honestly feel more safe than they did before Bush came to power?
N-O-T-H-I-N-G. He's actually made it worse.

The real freaking tragedy...a poll(another one)was taken over the weekend and the majority said that they didn't feel safer. So, vote the idiot shrub out! It's not brain surgery!

Lurk wrote:
And now, despite all evidence to the contrary about how universally hated and despised Bush is, they have thrown their lot in with him.

Dear Lord, I don't think these people realize what they have done, but I am very afraid they will find out.
As I said, we are doomed. Living in another country is looking mighty inviting. I don't want to be here when the dirty bomb goes off. And, it will. There is no question in my mind about that. I have no doubt that OBL was telling us just that. 52% of the people looked the other way yesterday. Who will they blame when it does go off?
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRODO HAS FAILED!

Lurk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! The only thing that has made me smile all day, although it was a rueful one.
lindy03

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laura wrote:
Edwards is a lawyer, so of course he wanted to contest it.
John Kerry was, before moving on to the higher level of public life, a successful prosecutor. A lawyer, just like Edwards.
frankgrimes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture brought a smile to may face. Edward/Obama for 2008 sounds good to me
lindy03

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only solace of the day...
my daughter came home from college to vote yesterday, visited a bit with me, then went back to school.

She called me today to find out if I was all right. She proceded to tell me that she voluntarily watched the results all last night and this morning. This is my child who forever(since she was little) has told me she doesn't care about politics. That she isn't interested. That she was voting in order to not hear me nag her or be upset with her because she didn't vote. Then, she voluntarily watched the results, of her own free will, because she wanted to. I don't worry about my son this way...it does matter to him. It was only my daughter that I was worried about.

I have done something right.
lindy03

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about, in 2008, the people of the US (provided there is a country in 2008) take their heads out of the sand, rise up from their collective lethargy & actually create a third party? Or a fourth?

Let's not limit ourselves to Obama/Edwards/Clinton/another Repub/Demo no other party By God choice.

When will the US ever learn? There was a revolution in 1776. Let's have one again. Let's be of the people, by the people, for the people again
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be sure they don't end up on this picture:

Let's call it the George W. Bush Iraq Quilt of Death.
Kyle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfuckingbelievable. How can people support this guy?

At least we tried. IL voted Democratic, and my county voted 70% Kerry.

I came home today to discover our "Kerry/Edwards" sign ripped from our lawn. Nobody in the house has done this, and all the "Bush/Cheney" signs in the neighborhood are intact. I fucking hate people. There are no words to express how much I loathe these ignorant pricks. We now deserve anything we get. Way to go, America.
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lindy03 wrote:
When will the US ever learn? There was a revolution in 1776. Let's have one again. Let's be of the people, by the people, for the people again

I have been thinking thoughts like this all day. They say let the healing begin?! This will not heal. My husband has been talking all day about the four more years of darkness. Do we really have to wait? Is there nothing to be done?

Jon Stewart was looking at the map on their live show, talking about people in New England huddling together there for another four years. Funny? Yes. But, also kinda true. I have never felt more distanced from the ideals that won this election than I do at this moment.
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lindy03 wrote:
My only solace of the day...
my daughter came home from college to vote yesterday, visited a bit with me, then went back to school. I have done something right.

My five year old was so involved in this election, we didn't know how to break it to him that Bush won. His dad would teasingly call him a flip-flopper, and he would answer, "No, I misled you." He asked questions and took a genuine interest in the process. He wanted to know what the figures they used meant, like 1.4 million jobs. I am as upset for his hopes being dashed as I am for my own.
I-K

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oz wrote:
My couch is available for anyone who needs it.

Just as well, 'cause if anyone tried to paddle their way over here, they'd get thrown into a prison camp in the desert on arrival and left there until the hot sun bakes their brain into mush...

Quote:
The only solace I can find in all this is that it sets the table for an Edwards/Obama Presidential ticket in 2008.

"Obama" is too close to "Osama", dude. Never happen, or at least not until cancers and birth defects brought on by industrial pollution depopulate the entire lower Mississippi basin...
Lurk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
they'd get thrown into a prison camp in the desert on arrival and left there until the hot sun bakes their brain into mush

Apparently, there is a 52% chance of this being an unecessary alteration.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura,

I haven't really jumped on you for awhile, but this...

and he was gracious, though regretful, over it -- Edwards is a lawyer, so of course he wanted to contest it.

...is just fucking ignorant.

In the 2000 election, sorry, but I do believe the Bush campaign employed a shitload of lawyers to deal with Florida. And, oh, perhaps you didn't know this: Bush, for all his quips about lawyers (even though he sure isn't shy about using them when he needs them), was turned down for admission by the University of Texas Law School.

Yeah, ya hear all this talk about lawyers, but when someone gets in a car accident or gets hurt due to company negligence or dies because a fucking surgery sponge was left in their body after being sewn up, who's the first person the victims or their families call? That's right -- a lawyer. And please go gripe about lawyers to the little girl John Edwards represented whose intestines were sucked out because of a faulty pool drain. It was discovered that this flaw had been known to the company numerous times, and rather than fixing it with a 35-cent screw, they continued to churn out those drains.

Laura, please do us a favor so we know you're not a hypocrite: sign something and have it notarized that if you or your family ever is the victim of this kind of malfeasance, you won't hire a lawyer.

OK?

Last edited by Jack Sommersby on Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurk wrote:
Moving on up

This is only the beginning. Time to get out your futons Chris. And I still have an extra room.

Again, if I knew I could get a job up there, I'd relocate in a nanosecond.

Oh, and, uh, Baby Cakes, why take up space in a room when I can just take advantage of some room in your bed?

Razz
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just as an exclamation point on that, let it be known that the Republican lawyers today went to court to have the counting on a close Senatorial race stopped, before it had been completed, because they claimed 'it has gone on long enough'.

Of course, their guy had a few hundred vote lead at the time, which was rapidly reducing every hour.

I can deal with gloating, but let the gloating be over something valid, not that one of the guys who lost was a lawyer. I mean, seriously...

If Bush had lost, you know what you'd hear from me? "Thank you."

That's all. No death to the king, or impeach the criminal emperor, or any of that war talk. Just 'thank you'. It would have been nice to wake up in the morning for once and not get that depressing feeling that I've had every morning of the last four years, that I was about to learn about yet another horrific abuse as I opened my newspaper.

A Kerry win would have allowed me not to crow and kick the Republican voters to pieces, but rather to simply drift back into the peace and quiet we had up until four years ago, when the biggest issue the world had to worry about was "did Bill get blown or not?"
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, I was waiting in anticipation.

I think lawyers naturally look for problems, even if there aren't any. I never said I thought it was a bad idea for them to do so.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, I was waiting in anticipation.

To get studmuffin'd by the Studmuffin? Get in line, babe.

Cool

I think lawyers naturally look for problems, even if there aren't any.

Yes, they're known as "ambulance chasers", which Edwards is not. Which reminds me of something that many people have overlooked during this campaign: the GOP's inability to dig up any dirt on Edwards. I mean, here's a trial lawyer who represented people who had been screwed by bid bidness, and we all know the stereotytpical attacks on lawyers (like yours, of course) are the rule rather than the exception, and yet Edwards' career never left itself open to any smear tactics from the right. And this is a multi-million-dollar trial lawyer we're talking about. Of course, Elizabeth Edwards said from the start of his VP nomination that the Repubs would be picking the wrong man -- a man who, instead of defending the malfeasance of big bidness, took them to task for it -- to screw with for his past career, and she was right, no?

I never said I thought it was a bad idea for them to do so.

No, but you did make a half-ass, stereotypical statement that had no relation or relevance to the matter at hand whatsoever.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: