eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writing features

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Untrained Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Writing features Reply with quote

Hey guys! I've been enjoying your features (10 best lists, etc.) and was wondering how I can get in on the fun? I've got a few ideas for regular features I'd love to write up, but don't know how to go about seeing them posted along with yours. Very Happy
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya TUE.
What we normally do is wait until a writer has cranked out about 25 reviews or so, before we upgrade them to feature status (I'm not sure how many you've got in the system, but if it's close, get cracking!). Also, we like to encourage feature ideas that will turn into ongoing columns, rather than one-offs, if at all possible.
What's your idea? Maybe we can work something out.
The Untrained Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to do a series on great peformances (.i.e Frederic March in Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde; Nicolas cage in Adaptation) not unlike the similarly-themed column in (I think) Premiere. Also a series of lists of best perfroamces not to be awarded an oscar, or even nominated; 20 greatest scenes of film violence (i.e. Sonny Gets It in The Godafther) with a paragraph or two explaining the reason for choosing in all the above mentioned areas.
I haven't got quite 25 reviews up yet, but I am working on it. I'm tempted to write up some archived films, but I think (at least at this point) the greater service is to review what is currently out there, as that's how I found out about the site in the first place, and, hopefully, that's what the writing of reviews is all about in the first place: helping the curious potential-viewer make up his/her mind re: a certain film. Hey, Rex Reed hated Taxi Driver (I still have the review in a folder somewhere!) but that stop me from seeing it myself and loving it. But at least I had an understanding of some of the themes going in.
Anyhow, I digress. I'll keep pumping out the reviews, but I'd sure like to get involved in doing a regular feature/features!

Tom
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, man. I think the idea would be to work up a 'regular retro' theme of some kind, so that each week would be along the lines you discussed, but that they'd all be tied together in concept somehow.

Maybe put a few of them together and we can toss around ideas, but in the meantime, don't avoid the older flicks if you feel a review just busting to get out. Some of the older titles get a lot of traffic, and remember that once a movie has been out for a week, your review lives on for years.
The Untrained Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Features & older titles Reply with quote

I'll start working on a couple of ideas! Also, you've got a point re: the older titles. maybe I'll crank out a review or two on those, as well. Looking forward to getting this thing goin'!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Feedback/Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: