eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Movies that left you baffled
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, here's another one for the list - Primer

What the FUCK was that all about?
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee! I remember Ebertfest, with the director coming on stage and telling people that he'll answer an question except "explain the plot."

Although the film's so great because even if you don't know what's happening, it feels like you do. Or would. Or something.

Dave
Kyle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2mckay wrote:
Oh, here's another one for the list - Primer

What the FUCK was that all about?

That's my answer.
Thumb the Toad
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2mckay wrote:
yeah, the Mars Volta's lyrics are pretty much word salad - in English AND Spanish (oh, I'm sure it all means something, but without knowing the context, your guess is as good as mine).

But . . . it fucking ROCKS

All I can gather from Frances the Mute is that it's about an HIV-positive male prostitute trying to find his roots.

David Cornelius wrote:
Thumb the Toad wrote:
You don't need drugs to enjoy Floyd, and you don't need them to make sense of them, either.

Exactly. In fact, the symbolism of The Wall (both album and movie) is so in-your-face obvious that it's no wonder it attracts so many teenage types who are sure they've found something like, deep, man. Deep.

That said, I friggin' love the movie.

Hmm, I would say The Wall is deep (if incredibly narcissistic), for it's message about personal emotional barriers, but deep doesn't necessarily equal enigmatic, which it's not (only the small details are enigmatic, the big picture is very obvious).

That being said, the imagery is probably great to trip out to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumb the Toad wrote:
All I can gather from Frances the Mute is that it's about an HIV-positive male prostitute trying to find his roots.

Read "Mute" as "Mule" and spent too long trying to figure out what the frick you were talking about.

As for me saying "deep," it wasn't an insult to the movie, which does have its smart moments. I was more mocking the younger fans (I was one long, long ago) who'd see the vagina-shaped flower or the asshole-shaped judge and go "whoa, man, that MEANS something."

Dave
genji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Cornelius wrote:
Its story is impossible to follow, at least on a first sitting. Every time I think of the thing, I'm reminded of Roeper's comment on the film, something along the lines of: "is it possible to like a movie without knowing what's going on?"

Me, I didn't dig it as much as others, mainly because the action/excitement wasn't enough to make up for the lack of coherence.

Dave

To each his own, I guess. I didn't think it was that hard to follow. As for the Roeper quote... well, that's interesting, and I'd like to know people's thoughts on it. The answer for me would be a resounding "YES". There have been loads of movies that I haven't completely understood (or even remotely understood) that I still loved anyway. Another one I forgot to mention was a Seijun Suzuki movie, Tokyo Drifter. There's also Pistol Opera, which is even more nonsensical, at least to me. And I love it.

Oh, and I just saw Izo, which is one of the better Miike films, in my humble opinion. I didn't find it that weird, but maybe that's because I have some knowledge of Japanese folklore. And Buddhist/Zen philosophy, which the film has in spades. I don't think Miike has done anything quite like it before.
mrs_snook

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't understand lost highway but i loved it.

i recently madea friend of mine watch in dreams. that movie is a pile of crap, and it makes no sense. i needed to share the pain of having seen this movie with someone else.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrs_snook wrote:
i don't understand lost highway but i loved it.

i recently madea friend of mine watch in dreams. that movie is a pile of crap, and it makes no sense. i needed to share the pain of having seen this movie with someone else.

Same here on Lost Highway. Bizarre but fascinating. His best movie, or perhaps a tie with Mulholland Drive (Bill Pullman giving a kick ass performance, or a hot lesbo scene with Naomi Watts . . . too close to call).

Oh yeah, In Dreams sucked too. What a mess of a film that was. But still not as godawfully puzzling and lethargic as Eye of the Beholder
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

I'M COMING TO GET YOUUUUUU!!!!

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... if you know what I mean. Shocked

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2mckay wrote:

Same here on Lost Highway. Bizarre but fascinating. His best movie, or perhaps a tie with Mulholland Drive (Bill Pullman giving a kick ass performance, or a hot lesbo scene with Naomi Watts . . . too close to call).

And Patricia Arquette is just hotter than hell, and I can't say how much, otherwise I'd get a hard-on just by thinking about it.

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
filmbuff21

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. K-pax. I wasn't sure if it was profound or a festering pile of excrement. I'm sure if I saw it again I'd lean towards the latter. I'm growing bitter in old age.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: