eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Han shoots first, mofo!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Han shoots first, mofo! Reply with quote

From the Star Wars website itself:

In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie, as well as the original theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.

See the title crawl to Star Wars before it was known as Episode IV; see the pioneering, if dated, motion control model work on the attack on the Death Star; groove to Lapti Nek or the Ewok Celebration song like you did when you were a kid; and yes, see Han Solo shoot first.

DAMN YES.
MrTinkles
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those unholy bastards. After Lucas kept insisting over and over again that the originals would NEVER be on DVD, that the new versions were the way he wanted them, blah blah blah....

Everyone knew he was lying, of course, and that they'd release the originals for the sheer sake of making money. I just didn't realize it would be this soon.
Jason Whyte
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has been against the Special Editions of Star Wars ever since I walked out depressed from the retooled "A New Hope" in early 1997, this is definately good news. It's bizarre news, however. Lucas never wanted to reissue the films and then does so, even if it's for a cash grab since the last SE release is dying down.

Curious about the restoration work they're going to do. I'm assuming it will be in 16x9 widescreen. The press release only mentions a 2.0 surround soundtrack, but since 5.1 is all the rage I'm sure they will want to beef up the audio.

I'll finally be replacing this cranky, worn 9-disc laserdisc box set which has nearly rotted:

"I talked to Jeremy Piven on the phone, and he told me that he discovered that he had a very high level of mercury. So my understanding is that he is leaving showbusiness to pursue a career as a thermometer." -- David Mamet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew this announcement was coming as well, but I distinctly remember Ozzo being prepared to wager his kidneys that it'd happen within less than 2 years.

So he wins a kidney.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have known you were gonna jump on this one first Scott.

Wonder what's going to go through Lucas's mind when he sees how sales on these devestate and obliterate sales on the altered versions? Quite a message on feelings towards his decision making process.

Ah who am I kidding, with all the cash this is gonna pull in for him, he'll just buy the entire Earth and blister card it. Either way, its a win for him.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kand El wrote:
Wonder what's going to go through Lucas's mind when he sees how sales on these devestate and obliterate sales on the altered versions?

I don't know that that's any sort of given. I imagine that there are a lot of people who are happy enough with the version they have and won't want to double-dip until HD versions come out, or might just buy Star Wars, or won't be interested in re-buying if they see that the legacy versions don't have 5.1 soundtracks (you want them as they were? You're getting them that way, matte lines, ca. 1980 stereo, and all).

I mean, sure, I'll be buying them (and kicking myself for not getting around to having watched the ones I spent money on two years ago yet), but I don't really think that there's a huge mass of people waiting for this who refused to buy the Special Editions.
MrTinkles
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm in that category. I didn't buy the SE DVDs because I wasn't interested in owning those versions of the movies. It wasn't a product I wanted. THIS, however, I'll buy. Maybe with my Patel money.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaySeaver wrote:
Kand El wrote:
Wonder what's going to go through Lucas's mind when he sees how sales on these devestate and obliterate sales on the altered versions?

I don't know that that's any sort of given. I imagine that there are a lot of people who are happy enough with the version they have and won't want to double-dip until HD versions come out, or might just buy Star Wars, or won't be interested in re-buying if they see that the legacy versions don't have 5.1 soundtracks (you want them as they were? You're getting them that way, matte lines, ca. 1980 stereo, and all).

I mean, sure, I'll be buying them (and kicking myself for not getting around to having watched the ones I spent money on two years ago yet), but I don't really think that there's a huge mass of people waiting for this who refused to buy the Special Editions.

True and fair enough Jay, I suppose we'll just have to sit back and compare sales when it happens. But I don't believe we are getting overly antiquated versions- there's been some cleanup done: from the USA Today article (also including some info about demand for these versions):

Fan attachment to the originals is strong. The movies topped entertainment website IGN.com's recent chart of Top 25 Most Wanted DVDs.

"People want the option of having the movies that they remember and people are opposed to George Lucas' revisionist tendencies," says the site's Chris Carle.

The original films' video quality will not match up to that of the restored versions. "It is state of the art, as of 1993, and that's not as good as state of the art 2006," Ward says.

So according to this, its a circa 93' edition- anyone know if this sports cleanup on the matte effects?

Me, I won't miss "Ring around the Death Star" that much.

Just keep in mind though folks, this also means the return of the Yub Yub song too...
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kand El wrote:
from the USA Today article (also including some info about demand for these versions):

Fan attachment to the originals is strong. The movies topped entertainment website IGN.com's recent chart of Top 25 Most Wanted DVDs.

Just keep in mind though folks, this also means the return of the Yub Yub song too...

I've been leery of internet polling actually representing reality for a long time (I remember Brisco County Junior crushing the other on-the-bubble shows when TV Guide did its "Save Our Shows" thing that year, despite it clearly being a niche show); even though they're now more likely to include my mom now than they were then, they're still a self-selected and biased sample.

And I've missed the Yub Yub song the past few years. It's not really the right note to end the six-movie saga on (neither was its replacement), but always worked in context for me.
Jason Whyte
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The original films' video quality will not match up to that of the restored versions. "It is state of the art, as of 1993, and that's not as good as state of the art 2006," Ward says.

So according to this, its a circa 93' edition- anyone know if this sports cleanup on the matte effects?

That sounds like they are porting over a composite master from the laserdisc...not good news as they will most likely be 4x3 letterbox transfers.

From what I remember of the Definitive Collection laserdiscs, the matte effects are certainly still there (and there was a frustrating "Rolling Bar" on some of the discs to boot), but the picture and audio were excellent...for laserdisc. LD transfers really don't carry over well to DVD.

Jason
"I talked to Jeremy Piven on the phone, and he told me that he discovered that he had a very high level of mercury. So my understanding is that he is leaving showbusiness to pursue a career as a thermometer." -- David Mamet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least it cleared up a bit of wonder as to where the source of the DVD is being taken. Certainly cleaner than the 77' print, eh?

I think its a little passive-aggressive for a self-proclaimed perfectionist to essentially post the caveat that there won't be any cleanup or work done on the roughness of the originals, so you should have bought the other ones and liked them so NYAH!
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Whyte wrote:
not good news as they will most likely be 4x3 letterbox transfers.

Oh, you can't honestly believe that. Not even Lucasfilm is that crazy. 4x3 would cause such an uproar - from Lucas himself, too.

As for the look of the movies: Knowing Lucasfilm, it'll probably cleaned up in terms of color correction and cleaning off dust and debris, which is all it really needs*. Anyone claiming the oldies don't look as good are probably going by comparisons to tweaked special editions, which people are now so used to that they don't realize how altered some of those shots are.

Me, I'm liking the purist offerings. If you want 5.1, fine, watch the new edits. This is Lucas taking the "original, completely untinkered" idea as literally as possible, and I like that. Remixed sound is fine, but I always prefer the origial whenever possible.

Heck, I might just buy two. Or three.

Dave

*Lucas' comments on "no work being done" reads, to me, that he's backing away from any chances to alter the films. He's not saying he won't clean the film; he's saying he won't get rid off those pesky matte lines and landspeeder "forcefields" and such. Which then reads as "you guys are so used to the SFX redos that I'm warning you now: them matte lines is ugly!" And I can see fanboys bitching about "bad" FX once they take a look at the originals.

That said, do you realize how many of the original effects hold up to this day? More than Lucas believes. The Death Star battle in Jedi alone knocks the socks off of most modern movies.
Jason Whyte
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave,

That earlier quote raised made me curious, considering that he seemed to be making reference to the Definitive Collection discs from '93. It wasn't the last time they released the originals, either; Lucasfilm did that "Faces" series in 1995 (although I think they did some tinkering to those transfers, especially with the brightness and color).

But I'm sure you are right; Fox video might not allow it either and we'll get to see them in 16x9 glory.

EDIT: From the definitive collection booklet regarding the soundtrack of Star Wars:

Quote:
The soundtrack for STAR WARS has been a source of controversy for years. According to Ben Burtt, who designed special dialogue and effects, there were three different mixes for STAR WARS audio tracks: a 70mm, 6-track mix, a 35mm Dolby Stereo mix and a 35mm mono mix. The 70mm 6-track version was the inital mix, rush released to "showcase" theatres. With a longer lead-time for general theatrical release, changes were made in the 35mm Dolby Stereo mix to improve the soundtrack and to compensate for the variations between 6 and 2 track. The immense popularity of the film (and, therefore, the need for more prints), combined with a lack of Dolby-equipped theatres prompted another soundtrack for theatres presenting the film with mono sound. In these various mixes, some sound effects were enhances and others diminished, thus varying the audio emphasis. As a result, audiences might have heard three slightly different STAR WARS soundtracks, depending on the theatre's sound system.

This laser disc edition represents yet a fourth version. Digitally remastered by Ben Burtt and Gary Summers (Re-Recording Mixer for RETURN OF THE JEDI and THE YOUNG INDIANA JONES CHRONICLES) at Skywalker Sound, the best elements of all three versions have been assembled. Using state of the art digital equipment, they have both restored and enhanced this extraordinary work with the utmost care and fidelity.

Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Lucas.

Liar. Whore. Satan.

You watch. Within two years there'll be another release - this one in sepia tone.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, I'm sick of the Lucas bashing. Dude says he'll only release "his" versions, and gets shit for it. Dude decides the public wants the originals, so he announces he'll give 'em what they want... and gets shit for it. And heavy, stinky, sticky shit, too.

I honestly believe he's not doing this release to make any more cake, but instead to placate an angry fanbase that's been turning their backs on him for a while now. Does that make him Satan? Or even a liar? Nope - just makes him a guy who made a very bad business decision two years ago and is now trying to make up for it.

Think of it this way: when Connery said he'd never do another Bond movie, he came back and did one anyway... and then did another some thirteen years after that. Is he a liar to be yelled at? Nah. Just changed his mind.

I've thought Lucas' choices were pretty damn awful lately, but here's his chance to play nice, and I think I'll let him.

Dave
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point(s), Dave, but there are some of us who really believe that this release pattern was planned from the very beginning, and that the ceaseless messages that "the unmolested OT will never see DVD release" was nothing more than a shameless marketing technique.

Yes, a person has the right to change his mind, but to go from "NEVER" to "OK, 18 months later" seems a little flimsy.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also flimsy to believe that Darth Vader built C-3PO. The guy just lives in a flimsy world, that's all.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your dog's ass is flimsy. Yeah I said it.
mseaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheAngryJew wrote:
Good point(s), Dave, but there are some of us who really believe that this release pattern was planned from the very beginning, and that the ceaseless messages that "the unmolested OT will never see DVD release" was nothing more than a shameless marketing technique.

Yes, a person has the right to change his mind, but to go from "NEVER" to "OK, 18 months later" seems a little flimsy.

And so what if it was a technique? My guess is it's gonna turn out to be a pretty good technique. His life's work is one of (if not THE) most lucrative multimedia property, and are more or less his to do with what he sees fit. The man is a businessman, and it may very well have been his belief that when people saw the Special Editions or the final editions (or whatever they were called), they would take them as the most definitive and true-to-ideal versions that could be made, as he apparently did. He was wrong. But with that mistake came the realization that there was a huge demand for the trilogy in their original forms, and he decided to fill that demand.

I've no doubt the money came into play. But Lucas hasn't been in any rush to do anything else. He's made a living/hobby of tinkering with these films, and why shouldn't he? They're his, entirely. Some ideas, like the updated editions, kinda sucked, and some others, like the 3D project, could prove to kick ass.

So wait... why are we blasting someone in the film business for being very, very good at what he does?
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple: Because we were lied to.
mseaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheAngryJew wrote:

Sort of, but shit changes. Where it becomes an issue is when you can show me the press release that says, "George Lucas pledges to never allow the original trilogy to escape onto DVD in its original form." Interviews don't really count to me. Too informal to trust, I think.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show me a press release from Disney that says Song of the South will never be on DVD.

en garde!
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheAngryJew wrote:

Well, I'm far from certain that we were lied to in terms of there being any actual intent to deceive. The thing is, we've got to be able to look into George Lucas's head to determine whether this was a premeditated plan, an opportunistic last grab at DVD money before DVD is relatively irrelevent, or a genuine response to demand. Since Lucas has no apparent interest in clearing this up for us, people tend to ascribe whatever motive to his actions they want.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(Lucas) says he's curious to see what the reception will be for the upcoming limited-edition DVD release of the three original "Star Wars" films. "It's just the original versions, as they were," Lucas said. "We didn't do anything to it at all. But we're not sure how many people want that."

You might say quite a few, considering how many fans were angered by the digitized, expanded updates of episodes IV, V and VI. Lucas claims he's not re-releasing the originals to appease fans, but rather to bate them. "Now we'll find out whether they really wanted the original or whether they wanted the improved versions," he said. "It'll all come out in the end."

Source
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is "bate" even a word?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> DVD Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: