eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dying for a Wii

View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Dying for a Wii Reply with quote

or to take a Wii, as the case may be:

Three DJs fired after woman dies following water-drinking contest

AARON DAVIS
Associated Press

SACRAMENTO - A Sacramento radio station fired 10 employees Tuesday, including its three morning disc jockeys, after a mother of three died following an on-air water-drinking contest last week at the station's studios.

The hosts of KDND-FM's "Morning Rave" - who go by the on-air names Trish, Maney and Lukas - were fired a day after the station announced it was suspending the show and investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of Jennifer Lea Strange.

Strange, 28, died after participating in a water-drinking contest on the program.

She was one of about 18 contestants who tried to win a Nintendo Wii gaming console early Friday by seeing how much water they could drink without going to the bathroom. The show's DJs called the contest "Hold your Wee for a Wii."

John Geary, vice president and general manager of KDND parent company, Entercom/Sacramento, made the announcement Tuesday in an e-mail to reporters.

"Effective immediately, the 'Morning Rave' program is canceled and ten employees are no longer with the station."

A company spokesman, Charles Sipkins, confirmed the three DJs, as well as two other on-air personalities, "Carter" and "Fester," were among those fired. Five other employees who worked on the "Morning Rave" also were let go. All 10 were fired, the spokesman said, for violating terms of their employee agreements.

The "Morning Rave" had been on the air for about five years and was one of the capital's top-ranked morning drive programs.

During the contest, participants were given two minutes to drink an 8-ounce bottle of water and then given another bottle to drink after a 10-minute break.

Fellow contestant James Ybarra said he quit drinking after imbibing eight bottles, but Strange, who placed second, and others kept going even after they were handed even larger containers.

In all, according to witness reports, Strange may have drunk nearly two gallons. Afterward, she appeared ill when she went on the air, one contestant said.

Following the contest, Strange called in sick to work. About five hours later she was found dead at her home.

The Sacramento County coroner said preliminary autopsy findings indicated she died of water intoxication.

Drinking large quantities of water rapidly can throw off the body's balance of electrolytes, causing brain swelling and leading to seizures, coma, or even death.

In February 2005, a Chico State University student died after drinking too much water in a hazing incident at a fraternity. Matthew Carrington was forced to repeatedly drink from a 5-gallon jug and then do calisthenics.

In that case, one fraternity member pleaded guilty to felony involuntary manslaughter and two others pleaded guilty to being accessories to manslaughter, among other charges.

On the show, Ybarra said Strange had showed fellow contestants photographs of her two sons and daughter, for whom she was hoping to win the Nintendo Wii. The game console retails for about $250.
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about that, but public opinion was divided -- some said the station was responsible, others that the woman too had her share of blame to take.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line is this:

Morning radio comedy is like aural cancer. It must be stopped. Morning Zoo, Morning Rave, Morning Wacky, Morning Insano-Fuck, Morning Carnival with "Mary, Buzz and Fester" or "Jane, Claude and Chaz" or "Chaz, Coltrane and Chloaca" and their goddam joy-buzzers / silde whistles / whoopie cushions / nyuk-nyuk / forced laughter / no wit garbage has got to stop.

"Wacky" morning DJs are so 1984. Aren't they? Let's bulldoze all of 'em into landfill next to the ALF ashtrays and the Baby on Board signs.

"Wee for a Wii," come the fuck on. Wonder which overpaid fucking genius thought up that schtick. Get back to the bar mitzvah circuit, you worthless fucking stooges.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one that siddenly feels the need to pee?

Death to morning radio. Right on.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all Orson Welles' fault. That War of the Worlds shit set a bad example.

But to be frank, how many people know it's even possible to die from water intoxication? I can see where the contestants thought they were in for harmless fun.

UDM
CharlesTatum
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more of the same "fifteen minutes of humiliation for five minutes of infamy" that has plagued this country for the last umpteen years. I wonder how many of these radio producers saw a few too many episodes of Howard Stern and "Fear Factor", and thought "people will do anything!" I personally listen to "K-Charles," a techno and pop channel that is programmed by me, for me, exclusively available on my truck's cassette player!
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesTatum wrote:
I personally listen to "K-Charles," a techno and pop channel that is programmed by me, for me, exclusively available on my truck's cassette player!

I dunno, that station's been going downhill ever since Charles took over programming.
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest news: The deceased woman's family says "Wii sue."

Couldn't resist...
SonicXtreme

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lady died by drinking water? Whoa.

Umm, yes, death to morning radio.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: