eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hypocrisy at Its Most Blatant

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Hypocrisy at Its Most Blatant Reply with quote

Ga. judge: Keep Potter books in school

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070529/ap_on_re_us/potter_protest

LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - The adventures of boy wizard Harry Potter can stay in Gwinnett County school libraries, despite a mother's objections, a judge ruled Tuesday.

Laura Mallory, who argued the popular fiction series is an attempt to indoctrinate children in witchcraft, said she still wants the best-selling books removed and may take her case to federal court.

"I maybe need a whole new case from the ground up," said Mallory, who was not represented by an attorney at the hearing.

Superior Court Judge Ronnie Batchelor's ruling upheld a decision by the Georgia Board of Education, which had supported local school officials.

County school board members have said the books are good tools to encourage children to read and to spark creativity and imagination.

J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books, published by London-based Bloomsbury Publishing PLC, tell stories of children with magic powers. They have been challenged numerous times since 2000, making them the most challenged texts of the 21st century, according to the American Library Association.

At Tuesday's hearing, Mallory argued in part that witchcraft is a religion practiced by some people and, therefore, the books should be banned because reading them in school violates the constitutional separation of church and state.

"I have a dream that God will be welcomed back in our schools again," Mallory said. "I think we need him."

So let's get this shit straight: she supposedly wants the books banned because of separation of church and state yet hypocritically wants God welcomed into the classroom!

I mean, does one need take drugs to come off as blatantly stupid in her hypocrisy as this religious nut?

Surprised
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've lost count of the number of kids who've read The Chamber of the Secrets and have taken up sacrificing virgins and riding broomsticks.

Oh no that's right...THEY DON'T DO THAT. They take an interest in books instead and enjoy the films as well.

What an idiot.

Btw, welcome back, Jack. Where you been buddy? Wink
CharlesTatum

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack returned thanks to my "Where's Sommersby?" spell that I cast thanks to my kids' school library...

Razz
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: