eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marvel Ultimate Alliance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Marvel Ultimate Alliance Reply with quote

So, anyone else pick this up?

I'm having a fucking ball with this, and I've barely started. Already unlocked Iron Man's classic suit, working on a Captain America solo campaign, running around as my favorite heroes, fighting Doctor Doom...

Granted, the gameplay is virtually identical to X-Men Legends, but man, its just so much more satisfying to play as heroes I care about (first thing I did was replace wife-beater toting Wolverine with someone more colorful). The Power-ups are a bit more rounded, and its not too hard to level up.

Cut scenes are nothing short of awe inspiring. Absolutely beautiful graphics.

Some of the vocals work well, some don't. Spidey seems a bit younger than his cohorts, and the writers can only seem to make him annoying and childish rather than witty- something that often happens to Spidey when he's not in capable hands of someone that recognizes that there is a point to the character's patter.

My one dislike, and this is nitpicker comic geek territory only, is the fusion between the classic and Ultimate Marvel universe- one has 60+ years of continuity and story to take account of and the other is a restart for newer readers- now how confusing is it when you blend the two? Anyway for the first little bit of the game Captain America, Thor, and the Fantastic Four (who are actually a bit of a blend between Classic, Ultimate and inexplicably, Movie), are only available in their Ultimate costumes, yet are alongside classic heroes and costumes- granted this is a simple aesthetic change, but its a little distracting though again, this is a biiiiiiiiiiig nitpick. I simply prefer my guys to sport their classic togs. I'll unlock those soon enough though, so its no big deal.

But really, having a lot of fun with this thing. Can't wait to plug away at it again tonight.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that care, I've now played this thing back to back no less than Three times and can't get enough. Between the colorful gameplay (the use of various character powers is well-balanced and more effective and graphically pleasing than X-Men Legends I and II) and the endless choices of character combinations, costume changes and power upgrades to choose from its like having every action figure I ever wanted as a kid running around and kicking ass.

Really great game, and don't even get me started on the superb cinematics. Anyone who thinks Galactus wouldn't work in movies should take a good look at this game and then strike themselves repeatedly with a wood plank hammered through with a nail.

The downloads of eight new available characters for the X-Box 360 version including Doctor Doom at this moment make me want that damn console even more than the imminent release of Halo 3.
BLUESHIRT7749

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely right. One of the more addicting games I've played lately. Great color, great use of characters and costumes. I have to to through it again though as I used a cheat (yea yea) to unlock Daredevil. So I didn't get the achievement points(360).

But great stuff indeed!
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I did play through and hunt down the Daredevil and Black Panther action figs to unlock them, but for the life of me couldn't figure out how to unlock Silver Surfer and just coded him- then, beating Mephisto on the highest difficulty level, he was unlocked- even though I'd just used him to beat down Mephisto- who knew?

Any FF game that comes out after the sequel is totally ruined now considering UA already gives you an FF/Silver Surfer game better than the first film's video game adaptation, and almost certainly better than any roaming platform they intend to put out.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: