eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexuality and Same-Sex Crushes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Sexuality and Same-Sex Crushes Reply with quote

I was having a conversation with a bi-sexual friend of mine, who stated that he didn't believe sexuality was a fixed choice. It's not a case of saying "I'm straight, or I'm gay" for example, but it's more like a line from 1 to 5 and you place yourself alongside that line. So if you're completely staright you'd be 1, completely gay would be 5, bi-sexual would be 3 and all variances would fit on there accordingly.

So that got me wondering - I've never once had a sexual urge or thought towards a fellow man, but I can totally see if a guy is good looking or not. For instance, I've got a total man crush on Robert Downey Jr - seriously, he is one good looking fella and oozes charisma. Now, that's not to say I would want to have sex with him at all, because I don't, but if I was a woman...then probably. So what does that make me on the line? A 2?

So what are everyone's thoughts - is the line a better definition of sexuality? Where would you put yourself? And who are your same sex crushes? Or, if you are gay, who are your opposite sex crushes?
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie Hard Pill has a nifty running gag about the gay-straight index; each character is introduced along a chart of orientation (1-100, I think?). Your friend is right, the line is a solid defnition of sexuality.

As for my man-crushes, I've got plenty of 'em: Cary Grant, Gene Kelly, Goerge Clooney, Will Forte...
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they talk about this in Kinsey.

Anyways, the line makes sense to me. And I think the environment affects how middle or extreme you are; and in some cases, can push people over to the other end. But whether we're closer to a 1 or a 5, that's usually determined pretty early on in life. (In my opinion, what do I know?)

I have a gigantic crush on Natalie Portman. I could watch her for hours and hours. I really just admire her a ton and find her absolutely beautiful; I don't want to have sex with her.

Though from my experiences, heterosexual girls tend to find other girls more sexually attractive, than heterosexual guys and other guys. Girls are just more aesthetically pleasing than guys; fact of nature! I know plenty of straight girls who genuinely enjoy/would enjoy some action with another girl and I can't say I have not participated in things along those lines and I was not the least bit turned off when I did. heh. But I could absolutely never have a relationship with a girl; no way jose and I am definitely not a bisexual.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest man-crushes:

In the '80s: Mark Harmon
In the '90s: Kevin Anderson
In the 2000s: Russell Crowe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: