eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why President Bush quit golfing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Why President Bush quit golfing Reply with quote

The price of sacrifice:

Quote:
US President George W. Bush said in an interview out Tuesday that he quit playing golf in 2003 out of respect for the families of US soldiers killed in the conflict in Iraq, now in its sixth year.

The rest of the (short) article is priceless.

(I wonder if it has anything to do with getting busted for thoughtless swagger like this.)
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this news story everywhere and I don't understand why it's so frustrating to people. The quote, in context, didn't seem that interesting... basically he's just keeping himself out of the public eye when hes not working and that includes golfing.

Hey I'm just as much of a liberal as anyone else, but sorry, I just don't get this story at all.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Out of respect"? Good gosh. Oh, like his making a joke during a public appearance about those non-existent WMD by looking under chairs and tables? Fuck him. If I had the power, I'd send his daughter Jenna and her new husband to the front lines of Iraq along with Chelsea Clinton and Cate Edwards and others whose parents authorized military action in Iraq.

Again, go fuck yourself, Bush, you quintessentially lying son of a bitch-bastard!
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laura wrote:
I just don't get this story at all.

It's not about staying out of the public eye (his decision was made prior to the '04 election and his recent poll drops). It's basically Bush thinking he's being a stand-up guy for refraining from fun n' games while soldiers are dying. But the implication is: 1) he's only doing this because enough people called him on his poor behavior (including the hide & seek video Jack mentioned), and 2) "not playing golf for a while" is the sort of thing an out-of-touch jackass would assume might translate to "heart-felt sacrifice" among the public. The comment is very "let them eat cake."
Collin Souter
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's part of Bush's way of doing whatever he can to save his legacy. He's on his way out and even he (or at the very least, his advisors) has to know he's going down in history as a lame duck President. What will he be remembered for? Iraq, Katrina and a recession. "But at least I had the decency to stop playing golf. That's gotta count for something, right? And did I say global warming was a campfire ghost story conjured up by wussy Liberals? I was joking!"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: