eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Henry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Terror In The Aisles, On the Screen and in the Booth!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Henry Reply with quote

I saw Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer at the USA Film Festival in Dallas back in 1990 with McNaughton in attendence. I got to ask him if there were any true-life serial killers he modeled the lead character after; he was real cool and gave a very literate answer. However, Tracy Arnold, the one who played Becky, sat in the row directly below me and acted like a fucking prima donna, talking stuff to her companion while the film was going on. I swear, if I had to do it all over again, I'd have gone and got a Coke and poured the shit all over her and sprinted out of the theatre. Oh well, according to imdb.com, she only did 3 films and an episode of "Baywatch" afterward, so there is justice in Hollywood.

Finally, Rooker's performance is a work of genius. Never once does he push for effects; never sensationalizes the character like Anthony Hopkins shamefully did in The Silence of the Lambs. He had the character down stone-cold with the confidence that the camera would "get" his underplayed performance. (Admittedly, I did have a problem with the film literally-mindedly laying off the character's sickness on his prostitute of a mother -- it was right up there with Thomas Harris laying the majority of the blame on Francis Dolarhyde's emotionally-abusive grandmother in Red Dragon.) And he's also highly adept at playing good guys, too, with his appealing work as Tom Cruise's initial rival in Days of Thunder a thing of beauty.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy you really have a hate-on for Silence Jack. Do you really think he "sensationalized" Lecter? Or is your view perhaps colored by audience approbation (which sensationalized the character to the umpteenth degree) rather than Hopkins' choices? I found it a very open performance of a man who is completely honest in his intentions, appetities and drives (its his latter two displays of the character I take umbrage to- and frankly only half-heartedly with "Hannibal" which though deeply flawed, has its moments of grace- pretty much the first half of the film).
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy you really have a hate-on for Silence Jack.

And then some. For something so thuddingly obvious and implausible, it just amazes what a critical hit it was.

Do you really think he "sensationalized" Lecter?

Well, uh, since you put quotes around the verb I used to describe the performance, I'd have to say, uh, well, um, yeah, I do.

Or is your view perhaps colored by audience approbation (which sensationalized the character to the umpteenth degree) rather than Hopkins' choices?

No, because I saw the film at a sneak preview a week before its official theatrical release and thought right then and there that it was way over-the-top. And I was glad to see a week later that Gene Siskel agreed with me on it.

(By the way, I still think it a shame that David Lynch pulled out of both writing and directing Harris's novel "Red Dragon" back in the mid '80s. Would've loved to have seen his take on Lecter.)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Terror In The Aisles, On the Screen and in the Booth! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: