eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The 1st annual Holiday Whatdidjaget Thread...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: The 1st annual Holiday Whatdidjaget Thread... Reply with quote

So, what's the haul this year for everyone? Everybody happy? Here's my rundown...

B&D dual head Power Drill (I've been rennovating my father-in-law's home top to bottom with the rest of my in-laws to sell it in the new year, and really enjoyed the work- using wet and band saws, cutting and laying tile, molding, laying carpet)- it was good work that gave you a sense of achievement at the end of the day rather than all the bullspit paperwork and spreadsheets produced at my "job"- this was tangible product from effort, so my wife picked me up one of my most-used and useful items, which my brother-in-law had brought to the fray - full disclosure, he did much of the project- even doing plumbing, something I didn't get to tackle).
Electric Razor- I get 5:00 shadow at 1pm, so this was handy- I gave my electric razor to my father-in-law when he was in the hospital, and didn't want to take it back, so this was a nice thing to get.
Dark Knight SE DVD- well, you already know about this one if you've seen the DVD Thread- still haven't opened it- though I have gotten a few date offers onl facebook since changing my avatar to the above picture....
Gears of War 2- I'm actually replaying the first game now, and my wife was upset when I told her I'd be taking a break from 3rd person shooters prior to playing this- I explained that in order to have a fresh experience, I would need to "cleanse my pallette" with a different type of game before returning to 3rd person shooters- I'm going to replay Marvel Ultimate Alliance as Dr. Doom- a good dungeon crawler will definitely make going to GOW2 a welcome change.

I also just took advantage of a great Target sale where they dropped a bunch of 360 Games from 59.99 to 39- I know I could probably knock off 3-5 more dollars if I ebayed, but frankly this eliminates wait time, shipping charges and posible faulty used copies- I'd say $20 bucks right off the top for instant gratification trumps- so I picked up a copy of Mortal Kombat versus DC Universe...

So... Tell me about yourselves, what were your gifts? What gifts are you particularly proud of giving? What was the favorite thing you received?
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eat more oranges. NEXT!
Ryan_A
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wife was all about TV-on-DVD. Colbert Christmas, The Muppets, Family Guy, 30 Rock and Scrubs were all under the tree for me. A couple of CDs and a Futurama TPB.

The 'rents went with giftcards to a bunch of stores and restaurants.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main present for me was a shiny new ipod to alleviate the boredom of the long train journeys to work and back with new cds from Keane and Kaiser Chiefs to put on it.

A couple of books about football, boxers and socks, and Cloverfield, Poltergeist, Midnight Run and Peep Show series 1-5 on DVD.

Off the parents and various inlaws I got a Michael Caine bio, The Pogues book, a 50s sci-fi dvd collection, series 3 of Curb Your Enthusiasm, series 4 of The Wire, The Mist and Sunshine.

For the wife, she got lots of your usual wifey stuff. Last Christmas, we knew that I would be searching for a new job so we limited our spending and this year I spoilt her a lot to make up for it. So that makes me awesome.
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy tried to get the ironwork sculpture by a local artist I pined over, but some other person with good taste got to it first. So, he is going to call the artist about making something for me.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I don't have much in the way of family (I'm a lifelong bachelor and plan to stay that way), I treated myself to a portable DVD player...

http://www.amazon.com/LG-DP889-8-Inch-Portable-Digital/dp/B001AO2QN4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232460669&sr=1-4

...for only $150 at Best Buy and couldn't be happier. A beautiful screen with great resolution from a company, LG, that I'd never heard of before. Highly recommended, this.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you might have heard of them in the past, when they were called "GoldStar" (and were a data point in support of the theory that no company with "star" in its name is worth a damn).

I've considered getting on if only to have a region-free player, but I've been treating myself to big lots of crime novels (Hard Case Crime has been having a really nice $1 sale over the past couple months), so I wouldn't be using it on the bus as much as I thought anymore.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: