eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Defying Gravity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Defying Gravity Reply with quote

I am half an hour in.

I can clearly see that it is going to suck.

I know that I am helpless to resist watching it because I love interplanetary-era science fiction so damn much that even this sort of crap holds appeal to me.

--sigh--

Man, I hope Virtuality finds the international investors its looking for for funding, so that sometime next year, this foul taste will be washed from my mouth.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recorded it last night, catching up now. I'm about 20 minutes in, and so far I'm OK with it - although I'm starting to see hints of suckage as I'm typing this. Argh.

Maybe in a few minutes they'll all get Movie Sign and run to the theater.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the hints of suckage aren't so much hints anymore. Hrm.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weird thing is, by the end, I saw deeply buried hints of something interesting. Not the awkwardly dropped comments about "it", but somewhere underneath, it seems like Parriott wants to make the show I want to see but had to soap it up to get it produced.

The science is going to drive me nuts, especially since they make the mistake of tossing explanations out and then not quite working with the explanations. Like how they demonstrate the floating with the tomato in the first hour and have the baseball acting normal at the end, for instance. Also, why did pulling Zoe in take so long? The first tug on the tether (which seemed to grow between scenes) would have given her momentum toward the airlock, with each one after accelerating her until braking would have been the real problem...
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the science made me throw up a little. It's odd how it looks like they took so much time getting some of the ideas just right, then ignored other things completely. (I'm also irked by its barely-there attempts at imagining a real future. Instead of the 2050s of, say, Minority Report, all we get here are a couple of thin TVs, and the rest is totally 2009.)
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always that way, though. Drives me nuts, especially when they throw something in to show they've given it some thought, but which also exposes that they haven't thought it all the way through.

(My "favorite" case of this is Hollow Man, where they mention that the invisible man closing his eyes does nothing. There's a pretty good chance that without that bit, I wouldn't have thought, well, how does he see at all with invisible retinas? Does he have a full 360-degree field of vision now? How does he focus with invisible irises?)

Pretty effects, though - they've clearly spent enough money that I kind of can't wait until they get to Venus. Unless, of course, there's baby hallucinations all the way there. That is kind of going to get on my nerves if it lasts much past next Sunday.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> TV Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: