eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Double-Feature DVDs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Double-Feature DVDs Reply with quote

Has anyone ever found one of those damn double-feature DVDs worth buying? I swear, it's always the case where one of the films I like but not the other one. For example, I love "Demolition Man" but can't stand "Over the Top".

Evil or Very Mad
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of, I think, Casual Sex?, because for a while that was the only way to get Cold Comfort Farm. So that was worth buying because it got me the movie I wanted.

It wasn't a single DVD, though - it was two things shrinkwrapped together. I also got a decent Shaun of the Dead/Dawn of the Dead (remake) once.

And Demolition Man needs to be on Blu-ray. Has that sucker been re-transferred since '97?
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't believe so. But I have no complaints since the 2.35:1 transfer is excellent. And at least it's actually anamorphic since two other Warner Home Video titles, "2010" and "Outland", state that they're anamorphic which they most certainly are not. Plus, the director's commentary is wonderful. It's always baffled me why Marco Brambilla hasn't had a better career. He's visually astute and great at action staging while keeping the spatial logistics comprehensible. In fact, "Demolition Man" was my second-favorite film of 1993.

(Oh, if you're looking for an unintentionally hilarious commentary, you can do no better than director George P. Cosmatos's for "Cobra". Trust me.)
CharlesTatum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Jack, the only double feature DVD I ever got was "National Lampoon's Vacation"...coupled with the odious "European Vacation"!
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demolition Man was pretty great all around, and now that you mention it, it is pretty surprising that Brambila hasn't done much since. I wonder if dealing with Stallone and Snipes was enough to send him back to fine/conceptual art - his website doesn't even mention his feature film work.

The writers' careers sort of dead-ended/peaked there, too (although one seems to have done OK in television). Weird; that was a darn good movie.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that is weird with his not citing his directorial work. I mean, if all his films were deep-fried shit, then, yeah, but Demolition Man and Excess Baggage were very far from that.

Am also reminded of Mark Pellington. His phenomenal work in the extraordinary The Mothman Prophecies should have moved him up to the top echelon of directors, but he waited 6 years to do another feature film.

(Oh, and today I didn't find a double-feature DVD but a quadruple-feature one with Coma, Wolfen, Bad Moon and Body Snatchers, with the last three given impeccable widescreen transfers. Snagged it for $9. That's only $2.25 per film.)
CharlesTatum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, $2.25 is still too much for "Bad Moon"...

Smile
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's nothing great -- it probably could've been told in 30 minutes -- but the f/x were great and the three main characters held more than enough interest. Plus, the Clairmont-Scope photograhy by the always-great Jan Kiesser is delicious. Better than Silver Bullet, at least.

And, actually, Coma hasn't really aged that well. So chock-full of bountiful loopholes that it's hard to believe the novelist and screenwriter/director have frigging medical degrees!
CharlesTatum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Coma" freaked me out...when I was 11. I should rent it someday, see if it has the same effect, or goes "The Town That Dreaded Sundown" on me and isn't as good as I remember.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> DVD Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: