eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blatantly False DVD Advertising

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Blatantly False DVD Advertising Reply with quote

Isn't it titanically stupid to advertise a DVD of containing scenes not in the theatrical cut with a photo of one of these scenes on the back of the box yet the DVD itself doesn't have the scene it's from?

Two examples:

"Caddyshack" and "Bad Boys" (1983)

Any others?
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Blatantly False DVD Advertising Reply with quote

Jack Sommersby wrote:
Isn't it titanically stupid to advertise a DVD of containing scenes not in the theatrical cut with a photo of one of these scenes on the back of the box yet the DVD itself doesn't have the scene it's from?

Two examples:

"Caddyshack" and "Bad Boys" (1983)

Any others?

I am assuming here that you are referring to a still photo of a specific scene, not a promotional photo. Sorry, I don't have any example coming to mind, but I know it's a frequent discussion about theatrical trailers. If it's such a good joke that you must put it in the promotional material, why isn't it in the film?

As far as "blatantly false DVD advertising" is concerned, though, I have a different example to submit. Coincidentally, it involves some of those Rathbone Sherlock Holmes films I'm currently revisiting for Jay's series. Due to the byzantine copyright laws of the US at the time, it was possible for a work to have its copyright registration rejected if it involved a filing error, or lack of a notice in the film, which happened to four of the Holmes films, that as a result found their way into the public domain.

I'm sure you must have encountered the result of such errors in the form of cheap DVD releases using prints of mediocre quality, if not worse. Anyway, one such cheap company mining the public domain for sales released a boxed edition of the four Holmes titles, using prints of various quality (excellent for one, atrocious for two, and the last one would have been passable if not for the fact that five minutes or so were missing).

That alone is quite exasperating, but the publisher even had the gall of adding on the back of the box: "The enclosed four DVD titles were miraculously restored from the only known surviving prints, which were extremely damaged." There was just a small problem with that: the films had reportedly played on TV for years, and were in fact available in better (and complete) prints on VHS at the time (and now on DVD). So to justify the poor quality of their prints, they actually made up this story about these being the last surviving prints.

The DVD's also included hours of Rathbone's Holmes radio show, but that was meagre compensation for the poor quality of the films.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One classic example is the back of the DVD box for Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992 movie), where a photo features Seth Green in a deleted scene. (All his scenes hit the cutting-room floor.)

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Blatantly False DVD Advertising Reply with quote

Alex Paquin wrote:
I know it's a frequent discussion about theatrical trailers. If it's such a good joke that you must put it in the promotional material, why isn't it in the film?

The most common reason is that trailers are usually cut together long before the finished film is locked down; trailer editors work with footage they're given, not knowing that some of it might not make it into the final film, or that the director might choose a different take. Theoretically, the director would look at the trailer and okay it, but then might decide later on not to use a scene or a shot in the finished print, or to reshoot entirely. This is what happened with Internal Affairs, whose trailer showed Andy Garcia and Richard Gere crashing through a window; this ending didn't test well, so Mike Figgis changed it. Of course, the trailer with that footage had already been out there for a while.

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of which, also in the Internal Affairs trailer there's a deleted scene of Gere and Garcia conversing sitting down in a bar.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> DVD Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: