eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Hurt Locker" Cleaning Up Critics Awards

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Dec 2002
Posts: 4440
Location: Helena, Montana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: "Hurt Locker" Cleaning Up Critics Awards Reply with quote

Both the film and Kathryn Bigelow have cleaned up with the Boston Society of Film Critics, Los Angeles Film Critics Association, New York Film Critics Circle, and the Washington DC Area Film Critics Association. Last time I saw a sweep of this magnitude in these 2 categories was with L.A. Confidential and director Curtis Hanson.

(Still, I wish I liked The Hurt Locker better. The first half is extraordinary but the follow-through just seems disjointed and unfocused, as if the projector technician had unknowingly switched the reels.)
_________________
"Joe the Plumber -- you can quote me -- is a dumbass." -- Meghan McCain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Posts: 1947
Location: Sunderland, England

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and that year LA Confidential got screwed over at the Oscars by the James Cameron juggernaut. Good thing that couldn't happen here.









What?
_________________
"We hate the French! We fight wars against the French! Did all those men die in vain on the fields of Agincourt? Was the man who burned Joan of Arc just wasting good matches?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CharlesTatum
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Posts: 1114
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L.A. Confidential could have swept Titanic right out of the win column...if it wasn't for the worst reshot ending ever tacked on to an otherwise brilliant flick. I'm still pissed about it!
_________________
Charles Tatum's Review Archive
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Posts: 1947
Location: Sunderland, England

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coda at the medal ceremony? Had no idea that was a reshot ending. And it could have ended with Hanson capturing the rebirth of Christ himself, and I still think Titanic would have swept the board.

And Jack, your first post makes me wish you'd review more Cool
_________________
"We hate the French! We fight wars against the French! Did all those men die in vain on the fields of Agincourt? Was the man who burned Joan of Arc just wasting good matches?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Dec 2002
Posts: 4440
Location: Helena, Montana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Matt. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things; I even watched The Shining again just recently and made some new notes.
_________________
"Joe the Plumber -- you can quote me -- is a dumbass." -- Meghan McCain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Posts: 1947
Location: Sunderland, England

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you're always insightful and a pleasure to read.

Definitely interested in what you'd have to say about The Shining, going from the sterling thread we had going on it.

But I'm very pleased that Bigelow looks the favourite here. Her work was exceptional, I thought.
_________________
"We hate the French! We fight wars against the French! Did all those men die in vain on the fields of Agincourt? Was the man who burned Joan of Arc just wasting good matches?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Dec 2002
Posts: 4440
Location: Helena, Montana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, a woman has never won the best-director Oscar, has she? In fact, if memory serves, a woman hasn't even been nominated since Jane Campion for 1993's The Piano, right?
_________________
"Joe the Plumber -- you can quote me -- is a dumbass." -- Meghan McCain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 30 Nov 2004
Posts: 3569
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junior Coppola for Lost in Translation. I think she was only the third, too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Posts: 1947
Location: Sunderland, England

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarrasingly, I was under the impression that Carol Reed was a woman for a fairly substantial amount of time. Embarassed
_________________
"We hate the French! We fight wars against the French! Did all those men die in vain on the fields of Agincourt? Was the man who burned Joan of Arc just wasting good matches?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 1541
Location: Ogden, Utah, USA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP Bartley wrote:
Embarrasingly, I was under the impression that Carol Reed was a woman for a fairly substantial amount of time. Embarassed


Glad I wasn't the only one with this misguided notion.

"Wait a minute, SIR Carol Reed? ...Oh."
_________________
Slyder
-----------------------------------
I saw more movies at Sundance than Ben Lyons did!!!

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 1541
Location: Ogden, Utah, USA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesTatum wrote:
L.A. Confidential could have swept Titanic right out of the win column...if it wasn't for the worst reshot ending ever tacked on to an otherwise brilliant flick. I'm still pissed about it!


Tbh, yest it felt a bit tacked on, but I didn't have a problem with it. I still think the movie is a masterwork.

It could've won on ANY other year. Jim Cameron simply rode the hype all the way to the podium, and the Academy bought it.

David Cornelius wrote:
Junior Coppola for Lost in Translation. I think she was only the third, too.


Fourth actually. Campion, Callie Khouri, and Emma Thompson (she adapted Sense and Sensibility
_________________
Slyder
-----------------------------------
I saw more movies at Sundance than Ben Lyons did!!!

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush


Last edited by Slyder on Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 1541
Location: Ogden, Utah, USA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP Bartley wrote:
Hey, you're always insightful and a pleasure to read.

Definitely interested in what you'd have to say about The Shining, going from the sterling thread we had going on it.

But I'm very pleased that Bigelow looks the favourite here. Her work was exceptional, I thought.



Aren't you glad to see that Kathryn is dragging ol' ex-hubby Jim through the mud right now?

Avatar is turning out according to critics as a rather mediocre flick, while The Hurt Locker is pretty much been praised as one of the best of the year.
_________________
Slyder
-----------------------------------
I saw more movies at Sundance than Ben Lyons did!!!

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Dec 2002
Posts: 4440
Location: Helena, Montana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slyder wrote:
CharlesTatum wrote:
L.A. Confidential could have swept Titanic right out of the win column...if it wasn't for the worst reshot ending ever tacked on to an otherwise brilliant flick. I'm still pissed about it!


Tbh, yest it felt a bit tacked on, but I didn't have a problem with it. I still think the movie is a masterwork.

It could've won on ANY other year. Jim Cameron simply rode the hype all the way to the podium, and the Academy bought it.

David Cornelius wrote:
Junior Coppola for Lost in Translation. I think she was only the third, too.


Fourth actually. Campion, Callie Khouri, and Emma Thompson (she adapted Sense and Sensibility


I meant female directors who've been nominated.
_________________
"Joe the Plumber -- you can quote me -- is a dumbass." -- Meghan McCain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Posts: 1727
Location: Quebecland

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP Bartley wrote:
Embarrasingly, I was under the impression that Carol Reed was a woman for a fairly substantial amount of time. Embarassed


Evelyn Waugh...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 1541
Location: Ogden, Utah, USA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Sommersby wrote:
Slyder wrote:
CharlesTatum wrote:
L.A. Confidential could have swept Titanic right out of the win column...if it wasn't for the worst reshot ending ever tacked on to an otherwise brilliant flick. I'm still pissed about it!


Tbh, yest it felt a bit tacked on, but I didn't have a problem with it. I still think the movie is a masterwork.

It could've won on ANY other year. Jim Cameron simply rode the hype all the way to the podium, and the Academy bought it.

David Cornelius wrote:
Junior Coppola for Lost in Translation. I think she was only the third, too.


Fourth actually. Campion, Callie Khouri, and Emma Thompson (she adapted Sense and Sensibility


I meant female directors who've been nominated.


Rolling Eyes

I need reading glasses. Shocked
_________________
Slyder
-----------------------------------
I saw more movies at Sundance than Ben Lyons did!!!

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Dec 2002
Posts: 4440
Location: Helena, Montana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, habitually jerking off will do that to a guy.

Razz
_________________
"Joe the Plumber -- you can quote me -- is a dumbass." -- Meghan McCain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 1541
Location: Ogden, Utah, USA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I need to get laid.

Hopefully Big Ole Motherfuckin' Bad Motherfucker Bob has some whores available... make for a great Christmas present. Wink
_________________
Slyder
-----------------------------------
I saw more movies at Sundance than Ben Lyons did!!!

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
CharlesTatum
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Posts: 1114
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slyder wrote:
Yeah, I need to get laid.

Hopefully Big Ole Motherfuckin' Bad Motherfucker Bob has some whores available... make for a great Christmas present. Wink


Laughing
_________________
Charles Tatum's Review Archive
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
henrinaiara



Joined: 31 Dec 2009
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm...im not so sure about this... they'll probably missed some significant detail... well... forget it...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
timtim
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, there are some points which have to be criticized. whatever it has got 9 nominations for Oscar awards.
Back to top
timtim
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: "Hurt Locker" Cleaning Up Critics Awards Reply with quote

Jack Sommersby wrote:
Both the film and Kathryn Bigelow have cleaned up with the Boston Society of Film Critics, Los Angeles Film Critics Association, New York Film Critics Circle, and the Washington DC Area Film Critics Association. Last time I saw a sweep of this magnitude in these 2 categories was with L.A. Confidential and director Curtis Hanson.

(Still, I wish I liked The Hurt Locker better. The first half is extraordinary but the follow-through just seems disjointed and unfocused, as if the projector technician had unknowingly switched the reels.)


This only means that James have right connections. Film making is not only an art in Hollywood, its more than that.
Back to top
timtim
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: "Hurt Locker" Cleaning Up Critics Awards Reply with quote

Quote:
This only means that James have right connections. Film making is not only an art in Hollywood, its more than that.


This is obvious man.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group