eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Patrick Swayze Dies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tulip

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Patrick Swayze Dies Reply with quote

after a two year battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 57.

On a personal note, my mom died of pancreatic cancer, though after her diagnosis she only survived 4 months. It's so strange to me that a cancer this deadly does not have any early testing.

It's hard to pick a favorite movie, he really did have quite a wide range: Ghost, Dirty Dancing, Road House, Red Dawn, the Outsiders, Point Break, and that movie where I believe he played a drag queen just to name a few and the hilarious skit he did with Chris Farley on SNL... just thinking about it brings a smile to my face.

R.I.P.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to think of how anything bad could be said about him. His choice of movies wasn't always golden, but he was always genuine no matter what he did. I pretty much hated Ghost, but I didn't hate Swayze in it; he was most likely the reason it was so huge. He had a lock on macho vulnerability without pushing it too hard. He seemed like a good guy; even playing a scumbag in Donnie Darko, he refused to play down to the character and ended up making you understand how some people could fall for his bullshit. Plus the motherfucker worked until he just couldn't work any more there he was, dying, in that cop show I've forgotten the name of. I bet he was good in it.

I can see where someone might not feel anything about him one way or the other, but it's hard to picture anyone actively hating or disliking the guy. In a town that doesn't produce very many of them, he was a true man, with all the good stuff attached to that word and none of the bad. Here was a man so confident in his own masculinity that he was a dancer, he gave his all in moist women's weepies, he played in drag, and then he could kick ass in stuff like Road House and still be 100% convincing. He was an original.

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
CharlesTatum
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm turning 41 in two weeks, and suddenly people like Patrick Swayze and John Hughes are passing away before hitting 60. It certainly puts things in perspective.

I agree that while he made some lousy flicks, he never seemed to be bad in those bad flicks. We knew this was coming, but it is still very sad.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesTatum wrote:
I agree that while he made some lousy flicks, he never seemed to be bad in those bad flicks.

Good lord, Road House is one of the dumbest action flicks ever made, but Swayze is goddamn gold in it.

Pain don't hurt.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, always a pleasure to watch, even if his films weren't.

And, by all accounts, a genuinely great guy who married his teenage sweetheart and was a strong family man.

Plus, he knew the end was coming, looked it in its face and told it to fuck off. Hope I can be as brave as he was if I was in a similar situation.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the news story:

"Swayze said he chose not to use painkillers while making 'The Beast' because they would have taken the edge off his performance."

Just like his character in Road House turned down a painkiller for the 9 staples doctor Kelly Lynch administered to him. I agree that film isn't very good, but Swayze was simply outstanding -- a 40-karat superstar. And, yeah, he was a good man without the kind of uncouth offscreen antics that the tabloids pounce on. Also, he knew how to enjoy life, as was very apparent when he did his own skydiving stunts in Point Break. Come to think of it, I don't think any other actor could've pulled off the characters in that film and Road House -- Peter Travers was quite right that the bouncer character had a lot of trapdoors and Swayze expertly sidestepped every damn one of them. Another non-great film with an excellent Swayze is the Calcutta-set City of Joy.
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was expected, but it still hurts when it happens.

RIP Patrick. He wasn't the necessarily the most gifted of actors, but he was definitely the most hardworking.

I'll remember him for the following movies.

Dirty Dancing
The Outsiders
Ghost
Grandview USA
Road House
Point Break
Steel Dawn.

My dad will remember him for North and South.

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
timtim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pure gentleman and an honest actor.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: