eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hollywood to Blame Again [Virginia Tech Shootings]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Hollywood to Blame Again [Virginia Tech Shootings] Reply with quote

Well, you knew it was just a matter of time before the conservatives started bashing Hollywood over the Virginia Tech shootings as the obvious scapegoats at the root of it all. A commentator on Fox News this morning questioned a psychologist -- this is in reference to Cho's disturbing writings -- where the line is between a possible future Hollywood screenwriter and a mass murderer. And the ever-myopic gang over at the ever-conservative National Review came up with this honey today:

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=ODdhNjYwNWEzY2UxMzAwMzVmMjA3NGVjNjRjYWNlZDk=

Yeah, if women just stapled shut their vaginas and movies like Kill Bill were abolished, life would just be so full of "moral values" -- like lying a country into a full-fledged, illegal war -- it'd just be pouring out of our asses.

And I've written this before and I'll write it again: Republicans decry Hollywood so much yet in Republican-dominated neighborhoods you see the parking lots of cineplexes packed to the gills every damn weekend. So they hate Hollywood yet pay out of their pocket to enrich Hollywood's pocket. And we're not talking about paying for a need but a want. So, of course, the 'ol Hollywood-is-evil argument is bollocks tenfold.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Republican mindset in mind, should we not be invading North Korea for this?
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always amazed how such events lead to the worst possible reflexes in American society (not the event itself, mind you, which is grave enough).

I was reading in one of the French papers that to prevent such events from happening again the firearms lobby was arguing not to restrict access, but to grant all students firearms so they could shoot down the killer in case such stuff happens again!

Right.

Blaming H'wood, the old canard. You might want to go featurey with that, considering the timeliness of the subject. This is a film site, ain't it?

However, Hollywood is one thing, video games is another. Film offers no interaction, whereas video games is all about immersion and interaction. And although I am quite sure that killing Nazis in a WWII game will not make you want to bring a semi-automatic to school (unless you're schizophrenic or something), I am concerned with game models (arcade style) that put a weapon replica in the player's hands and might almost teach anyone to be a sharpshooter -- doesn't even the army use such games to train its soldiers?

Also of interest will be what people make out of the Virginia Tech killer's motivations; from what the papers said, he already had morbid fascinations and had once been committed back in 2005. But I can't wait to see, since he was East Asian, someone play the race card -- again -- to justify his actions. From what I read, however, it seems more like a social class issue -- hated rich kids, apparently. Race might play a role, but not to the forefront.
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I am getting tired of the rhetoric that such incidents are recent phenomena, if we consider this, which apparently still constitutes "the deadliest act of mass murder in a school in U.S. history". Not perpetrated by a student, true, but that's like making a distinction between terrorists who plant bombs on airplanes and those who crash them into buildings.
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So St. Edwards University, nearby, shut down due to a bomb threat! And so did some other university. Agh!

Considering that I go to the university that previously held the record for the biggest school shooting (though the culprit wasn't a student), all this is extremely annoying.

But anyways, that's off topic on this off topic topic. All I want to add is that liberals are going to exploit this too, making it about gun control. Isn't the gun control issue really about dealers being naughty, and not necessarily the licensing process? But meh, lasjdf
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the logic with the whole firearms lobby goes...

...if the bad guys are going to get guns illegally -- and use them -- then the good guys should have guns, too, to protect themselves...

Doesn't seem a silly idea to me.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just not make guns in the first place. That'd save a lot of debate.
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great, so I just got an email:

Quote:

At approximately 5:30 p.m. The University of Texas at Austin Police
Department (UTPD) received a report of a non-specific threatening note
in Welch Hall. Police immediately investigated and swept the building
with officers and their dogs in accordance with their protocol. The
building was cleared as safe at 6:15 p.m. UTPD determined that
evacuation was not necessary.

: / how long will these copy-cats continue to do this?!!?
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Cornelius wrote:
You could just not make guns in the first place. That'd save a lot of debate.

That's, like, un-American, man.

Mom. Apple pie. The flag. Assault rifles.

I'm sick of you pinko wimps saying stuff like "There's no such thing as a drive-by stabbing." What about ninjas, man?? They can throw knives and stars and all that stuff! Therefore we should all have rocket launchers to deal with those terrorist ninjas that snuck into this country across the border to rape our daughters and make violent movies!

...Did I leave anything out?

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laura wrote:
: / how long will these copy-cats continue to do this?!!?

As long as you can make it in prime-time on every network...

Rob Gonsalves wrote:
I'm sick of you pinko wimps saying stuff like "There's no such thing as a drive-by stabbing." What about ninjas, man?? They can throw knives and stars and all that stuff! Therefore we should all have rocket launchers to deal with those terrorist ninjas that snuck into this country across the border to rape our daughters and make violent movies!

Depends which border.

Oh yeah, that's right:
Cheap workforce = MEXICO
Terrorists = CANADA

But ninjas...JAPAN? (well, they could do it by swimming to Hawaii...)
UDM
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Hollywood to Blame Again [Virginia Tech Shootings] Reply with quote

Jack Sommersby wrote:
Well, you knew it was just a matter of time before the conservatives started bashing Hollywood over the Virginia Tech shootings as the obvious scapegoats at the root of it all.

It's not really a Republican/Democrat issue. There are people on both sides of the aisle who tend to kick up a fuss about popular culture warping people's brains.

If you don't believe me, I have three words: Tipper. Fucking. Gore.

UDM
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, all I know is my kids won't be playing violent video games. Especially ones that stereotype certain races, and those do indeed exist.
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At about 11 a.m. UTPD received a low-level non-specific threat for
Perry-Castaneda Library. As of 12:55 p.m., the building has been
cleared
as safe.

sigh.

Goss, what's it like in your neck of the woods?
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen King on writing, violence, and crazy morons.

It's a short piece, but a nice one.

Quote:
He may have been inspired by Columbine, but only because he was too dim to think up such a scenario on his own.
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He may have been inspired by Columbine, but only because he was too dim to think up such a scenario on his own.

If that's the case, had he graduated, Hollywood would have snatched him up in an instant.

but...

That Bin Laden guy, he was original... Nobody's been smashing airplanes as a weapon since WWII.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, in King's Bachman Books back in the 70's he (as he mentioned briefly in his article) had high school shootups (Rage) AND an airplane taking out a skyscraper (The Running Man). On the "Still to come" front, he also had futuristic gladiatorial-style games (Running Man, The Long Walk) that dehumanized the participants and played to the very worst in humanity- all they have to do is shoot the runners up of American Idol and Survivor in the head, and we're there.

Lord but I love Stephen King.
the Grinch
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laura wrote:
And the logic with the whole firearms lobby goes...

...if the bad guys are going to get guns illegally -- and use them -- then the good guys should have guns, too, to protect themselves...

Doesn't seem a silly idea to me.

The guy behind the bloodbath in Bath was obviously a maniac..it would've made more sense if he went after the legislators who instituted the property taxes, not innocent children. However his final message has validity: "Criminals are made, not born".

When you create stupid laws...you make criminals out of non-criminals. We don't grow marijuana, coca, or opium here, yet it's still everywhere. Our jails our full of non-violent drug charges. Good luck getting the rest of the world to cease all manufacture of firearms. All that will happen is there'll be a black market for firearms....Prohibition, another stupid law, gave us organized crime.

Virginia Tech's campus had a campus wide (and unconstitutional) ban on firearms. How might this have been different if one of the faculty or students present had a concealed permit and a firearm. This assclown wouldn't have gotten as far as he did. A few months prior to this, a guy walked into a mall armed to the teeth...only reason he didn't rack up a huge body count was because an off-duty cop happened to be there and brought him down the minute he started firing.

Steven King: "But that was in the days before a gun-totin' serial killer could get top billing on the Nightly News and possibly the covers of national magazine."

The media makes headline stars out of these assholes. Then they turn around and take every opportunity to disarm us. It's like selling magnifying glasses to ants.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are is a fucking douchebag.

Christ. This place used to be beautiful. Now we have rats running around a junkyard.

Fuck you Hua or whatever the fuck your nonsensical shill name is. Nobody's home.
Big Ole Badass Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob's gonna have to second that, Kand El.

Used to be beautiful, yes. Let ole Bob have a run at the douchebag shills. Evil or Very Mad
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.... yeeeeesssssss... yes I can't think of a finer solution. Genius. Beautiful in its mathematical simplicity.

Yes. Giveth the shills unto Bob. Oh yes that's match point.

They want to play? Let them explore the vagaries of the Dookie Pounder tm

Yes. I Marc "Grandma Dynamite" Kandel invoke whatever Hollywood Bitchslap powers I have left to hereby ordain Big Ol' Badass Bob Efilmcritc Forum's "Minister of Enemy Relations". He won't give a shit, but might as well formalize it.

Yes. Yes Robert bring it. We shall make a very fine road on their bones.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Next time a golf club shill shows up here, I want screenshots of BOBB wreaking havoc on that company's forum or blog. It could be glorious.

(The photo evidence of whatever else Bob does... Well, I don't need to see that. It might make me an accessory.)
Thumb the Toad
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dookie-pounding. God I miss this place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Big Ole Badass Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob's gone a week.. and misses out on quite a few things.

People actually saying Dookie Pounder™, his new position, and the glorious return of Thumb?! Shocked

Damn it, son.. Bob's missed you. You a good man!

And by the way, Bob charges for his destructive services, guys.
That'll be 12 cases of Hooch™, and 3 fresh Mexican whores.

Sort of left the last batch in the Whore Dungeon™ for a few months and forgot about them. Embarassed
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, all that pop-up ad revenue had to go towards something. might as well be flesh and wine.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: