eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You seem to be aware of the plagiarism problem...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baelzar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: You seem to be aware of the plagiarism problem... Reply with quote

Do you police your own?

Compare James Berardinelli's "Super 8" review published June 10th:
http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_template.php?identifier=2319

to this review posted June 17th on this site:
http://www.hollywoodbitchslap.com/review.php?movie=20762&reviewer=426

to the same review posted June 17th over at listal.com by PvtCaboose91:
http://www.listal.com/viewentry/1158475
Ben
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We absolutely don't tolerate plagiarism on our own site. He will no longer write reviews for us and we have removed all of his previous reviews.

We sincerely apologize to anyone that he might have plagiarized from, and we thank everyone who brought it to our attention.
PvtCaboose91

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I don't see any similarities beyond the mere trivial between James's review of Super 8 and my review. We note a few similar things in one or two instances, but there is no word-for-word plagiarism, is there? Please show me some Smile

2. That Listal review IS MINE!!! See how my forum username and my Listal username are the same? I even note in my Listal profile that I write/wrote for this site for crying out loud.

I didn't plagiarize any reviews. Admins? Look and see for yourself.
Baelzar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all admins, thank you for responding to this so quickly. I learned about this from a tweet by Mr. Berardinelli himself, and decided to act because I like his reviews (apparently I'm not the only one!) and know that he doesn't do it for the money. Nonetheless, he's a rottentomatoes "top critic" and meathead here should've picked a more obscure target.
PvtCaboose91 wrote:
1. I don't see any similarities beyond the mere trivial between James's review of Super 8 and my review. We note a few similar things in one or two instances, but there is no word-for-word plagiarism, is there? Please show me some Smile
Coming right up. You should change your name to Anthony Weiner, btw.
PvtCaboose91 wrote:
2. That Listal review IS MINE!!! See how my forum username and my Listal username are the same? I even note in my Listal profile that I write/wrote for this site for crying out loud.
No kidding. I pointed it out just in case people here didn't know you were spreading a plagiarized review across several sites.
PvtCaboose91 wrote:
I didn't plagiarize any reviews. Admins? Look and see for yourself.
You are, to be kind, a liar. Changing a few words can't cover up the glaring similarities.

Here's the review that you posted (uploaded to mejuba.com):
http://70.38.54.187/g/406/3f4c09e8-8763-44c1-ab53-bccc59ebd558.png

Here's James Berardinelli's first paragraph from his review published June 10th:
"Super 8 is an homage by its writer/director, J.J. Abrams, to its producer, Steven Spielberg. It's also a love letter to all those with a passion for filmmaking that emerges at a young age. Super 8 is the kind of high-profile movie we so rarely see these days: an original story (not a sequel, spin-off, re-boot, or adaptation) in 2-D. The special effects are state-of-the-art (would anyone expect anything different from an Abrams/Spielberg collaboration?) but are not used gratuitously. Unlike many science fiction features, this one puts the characters before the monsters and the big bangs. Abrams remembers the simple rule that a majority of his contemporaries have forgotten: action and mayhem have meaning only when an audience cares about the people trapped within the maelstrom."

Here's your dressed up theft of that same paragraph:
"Since mid-2010, an aura of mystery has shrouded J.J. Abrams' "Super 8" like a dense fog. From its initial teaser trailer over a year before its release to a series of elliptical trailers and its substantial but mysterious marketing campaign, movie-goers have been wondering exactly what it is. In short, 2011's "Super 8" is a nostalgia-dipped, Steven Spielberg-indebted science fiction thriller and a coming of age story; representing a homage to producer Spielberg and a valentine for those who have had a passion for filmmaking since childhood. "Super 8" is a rare type of summertime release in this day and age - it conveys a clever, original story (it is not a sequel, prequel, spin-off, reboot or literature adaptation) without the necessity for a third dimension. There are state-of-the-art special effects and a few big action sequences, sure, but neither elements are gratuitous since, unlike most summer blockbusters, "Super 8" is more interested in characters and storytelling than big bangs. In writing and directing this film, Abrams remembered a simple law from Filmmaking 101 that is commonly ignored by contemporary popcorn movie peddlers: that action and mayhem only has weight if the viewers can find themselves caring about the people in the midst of the chaos."

This is just the first paragraph. I've bolded the most pathetic part. This kind of stuff might have fooled your english teacher, but give us a break. Did you really think you could take a man's work, dip it in glue and run it through a thesaurus, and people wouldn't notice? On the INTERNET?

Keep up the denial, and I will make it my personal mission to expose you on every movie review site you are on, and those you aren't. Take down the plagiarized reviews on every site you've posted them, and it ends now.

Unless you do it again.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baelzar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this guy's like a plague.

http://www.listal.com/topic/plagiarized-movie-review
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus. I wasn't really going to say anything else, far as this site goes its "case closed". He plagiarized, repeatedly, by anyone's (or so I thought) definition of the term and this Listal place has a page, an entire page of people collectively shrugging, or worse, making excuses ("couldn't he remove that part and leave the rest?" Um... FUCK NO). Intellectual theft is intellectual theft. No exceptions.

But this is the quote that has me going from "what a silly, misguided bunch of fellows" to "you gotta be fucking kidding me, what a pack of fucking idiots."

Some fool named Tom who has moderator privilleges but not the sense God gave a mentally defective goat to manage his forum wrote:
Quote:
If someone puts so much effort into rewriting a review then it's not really plagiarism any more.

Dumb fucking tool. And with the nerve to be sanctimonious about it too. This site deserves all the Cal's in this world and all the recriminations, accusations and reputational thunderclaps that follow in their wake.

Cal's a young guy. Part of me feels bad that he's chosen so poorly as to wade this deep and it will follow him for a very long time if not the rest of his life. But these twits who choose to stick their heads in the sand... Yeah, have fun kids. Sooner or later Cal's going to knock off someone much less willing to simply cut ties and cast him off. And that site is going to take the hit alongside him for their willful stupidity.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that quote is puerile-priceless.

That's like saying, "Hey, that thief put months of work into the planning of his big heist, so, you know, that makes it OK because he did put a lot of effort into the process."

What a giant-size dipshit. And I can't make any sense whatsoever of those lame-butt defenses of Cal's dishonesty. "No real similarities"? Are they frigging kidding? Oh well, that's one review site that lacks any frigging scuples.
Baelzar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Tom," the mod who made that comment, is the owner and creator of listal.

So, I guess plagiarism is the official policy over there.

Not much more I can do about it then - it'll take some professional reviewer taking legal action to get their attention.

What a cunt.

Edit: They've re-posted the plagiarized reviews several times.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Feedback/Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: