eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

be-Coming a Critic...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smrtpants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: be-Coming a Critic... Reply with quote

The following quote is from the HBS Radio website:

"Can I Be a Film Critic?
It's not easy, but if that be your goal in life, you can start by watching a LOT of movies, writing about what you see, developing a style and personality that is all your own, and then applying somewhere like Hollywood Bitchslap. We receive hundreds of thousands of readers every week, so if you qualify to join us as a reviewer, it can be an incredible forum for your work. But a word of warning - we get a lot of applications, and the vast majority aren't up to the standard we expect from our writers. However, when we reject an applicant, we tell them why, and how they can improve, so don't take a rejection as a slap to the face - take it as the first step of many in becoming a top notch film critic."

However, elsewhere on the HBS site, the following [somewhat discouraging/cold, but definitely contradictory] wording can be found

"3. We'll review the application and your submitted reviews, and if you impress us as an able addition to our fine stable, you'll get your account details emailed to you within a week or so (give or take a few days). If you didn't impress us, on the other hand, we'll probably not bother letting you know. Rejection tends to somewhat annoy people."

So which is it monkeys, will you or will you not rub our faces in our inadequacies?

Also, does it matter what 'generation' the two movies one chooses to review come from?

If not, does it matter if both movies that one chooses to review come from the same 'generation'?

And what of genre, is it preferential that each of the two movies that are the subject of one's reviewer submission are of either the same, or different genre?
MrTinkles
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rejected applicants do get an e-mail with the committee's comments.

It doesn't matter at all which two movies you choose, whether they're of the same generation or genre or not. One positive review, one negative, that's all.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the "we won't tell you" method was used a long while back, only to be updated to the new way later on. The Monkeys probably just forgot to update that portion of the site accordingly.

I will warn you that we often hit periods where it takes us longer than usual to sift through the applications, and right now's one of those periods. So be patient.
smrtpants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Cornelius wrote:
I believe the "we won't tell you" method was used a long while back, only to be updated to the new way later on. The Monkeys probably just forgot to update that portion of the site accordingly.

I will warn you that we often hit periods where it takes us longer than usual to sift through the applications, and right now's one of those periods. So be patient.

i should be much better at being patient by the time i actually make my submission - and who knows, maybe by then the 'jedi council' will have hit some node of impromptitude [=impromptu+promptitude]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Feedback/Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: