eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foreign DVD Releases of U.S. Films

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Foreign DVD Releases of U.S. Films Reply with quote

I've finally had it with this shit -- American films by American production companies and distributors making their DVD debuts in other fucking countries! And even after their debuts, they're still not over here!

Alligator and Maniac Cop 2 are just a couple of these titles. Those folks at Anchor Bay have released a 2-disc special-edition of Alligator, only it's a region-2. Why the hell should I and other die-hard fans of these films have to do without? Makes no damn sense.

What is the deal with this?
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Region-free players aren't that pricey these days.

I feel ya, though. The awesome Phantasm globe set still hasn't made its way to the States.

Eventually, though, everything comes out on region 1. Even the uncut Eyes Wide Shut is finally coming. I have about a shelf's worth of other-region discs that eventually became superfluous when region 1 discs came out to supplant them. So I don't jump to buy this stuff so quickly any more.

Whether the eventual region 1 discs will include the extras found on discs in other regions is another story. I know a John Carpenter mega-fan who'll buy other-region discs of JC flicks he already has on region 1 if they have extras that aren't on the R1 discs.

Don't expect sympathy from Bartley though. "Yeah, we get Maniac Cop 2, but we went without Clockwork Orange for thirty fuckin' years, mate."

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn right. No fucking Grindhouse either.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! I've got Death Proof in my notebook bag right now! Can't wait to see the missing footage.

Again, I just don't see the logic behind this foreign-country-first distribution malarky. Might just shoot off an inquiry to Anchor Bay about this practice. Yeah, I'm about as business-savvy as George W. Bush, but, hey, I know enough to know that these films would sell like crazy if they were made available in the States. Hell, I couldn't even get Year of the Dragon until a year after the non-region disc was available.

The awesome Phantasm globe set still hasn't made its way to the States.

Or, perhaps, back to the States if it were manufactured here.

Last edited by Jack Sommersby on Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Sommersby wrote:

Again, I just don't see the logic behind this foreign-country-first distribution malarky.

In the case of Anchor Bay, I think it partly has to do with rights issues. F'rinstance, Anchor Bay has the distribution rights to all the Phantasm flicks in the UK, but not in the US.

----------
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh, which one of you guys said the Hail Mary?

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=20430432
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's been out for about a month. Thought you knew that, and that you were kvetching because it isn't a 2-discer like the UK edition.

Lionsgate disc has:

Newly Recorded Interview with Writer John Sayles
Audio Commentary with Director Lewis Teague and Actor Robert Forster

Anchor Bay disc has:

That, plus Alligator 2: The Mutation

Actually, you don't seem to be missing much...

As for Maniac Cop 2, it was originally distributed by the long-dead Vestron. Vestron's holdings now lie with MGM and Lionsgate.

----------
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's been out for about a month. Thought you knew that, and that you were kvetching because it isn't a 2-discer like the UK edition.

Nah, I was just interested in the audio commentary with Lewis Teague and Robert Forster, especially since both have done wonderful commentaries before.

As for Maniac Cop 2, it was originally distributed by the long-dead Vestron. Vestron's holdings now lie with MGM and Lionsgate

I just thought since it had already been digitally transferred by Image Entertainment -- in a wonderful LaserDisc that received 5-star ratings in the video and audio department from a LD-review book -- that it'd be just a matter of time before it made it onto DVD. After all, Image is still putting out DVDs (at least they were last time I checked) so I thought this was a title they owned, but I guess not.

Damn, I should have never sold my LD player and LDs! There wasn't anybody who wasn't impressed with that MC2 disc I showed them.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> DVD Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: