eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Green Mile, The: Plot question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil M. Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:26 am    Post subject: Plot question Reply with quote

Question I liked The Green Mile a lot, and am usually not critical of gaps in a plot, especially where the story itself is allegorical or fantasy. Yet, in this movie, I kept wondering why the real killer was not made a suspect, especially after it became important (to several people) to not have the wrong man suffer. It's not as if the actual perpetrator was an "unknown"; quite the contrary --- he was perhaps THE most logical choice; yet no one ever even discussed reopening the case after he had been brought in on other charges (similar ones as I recall). It is hard for me to overlook this point ... considering the movie went 3+ hours and details were very important to the director.
The Guv'nor
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*** Spoilers ahoy ***

An interesting question. It's unlikely that it would have made any difference, since (i) the evidence linking Wild Bill to the case was circumstantial at best; (ii) the general lynch-mob tenor surrounding John C would have made it even less likely that the case would have been reopened; and (iii) the defendant wasn't going to be saying anything anytime soon.

On the other hand, it wouldn't have hurt for Paul to say "Hey, boss, I heard Wild Bill talking in his sleep about murdering those two little girls", just to see where it went. It wouldn't have taken much to prove that it wasn't going to go anywhere, and you would have slept better at night. Smile

Guv
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: