eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resident Evil Afterlife

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss Horror

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Resident Evil Afterlife Reply with quote

Being an absolute lover of all the RE games, including having a tattoo of them, I have been disappointed with all the movies because they are so far off the storyline it's pathetic. But Afterlife absolutely took the cake.

The beginning was mostly narrated by Alice to catch us up in case we forgot what happened in the last movies, along with watching her videotape herself making a lonely diary. There was scene after scene of one person or another flying in an airplane. It was so mundane.

The action/fighting scenes were too unrealistic and over the top. Even though Alice has a million clones of herself, and her abilities are superhuman, it was still too much. Even fake can be believable if you do it right.

It was so predictable. A large part of the time I knew exactly what was going to happen.

So I'm guessing that the hive has been destroyed and now Umbrella bases it's research on a boat? You gotta be kidding me.

There was a part where a Tyrant (I believe that's what he's called) is using his huge weapon to break open their gate. Even though they only have a matter of seconds to pull a plan together to avoid being eaten by a zombie hoard, the movie deems it necessary that a couple of the characters have a touching moment. Not to mention they are moving very slowly to carry out their plan of escape. I was so disgusted.

I find it of utmost importance to mention that there are no creepy zombie scenes. The only time zombies are in the movie is when there's a group behind the gate, and a few run rabid chasing our heroines. The movie bases it's story on G virus mutants, and Las Plagas victims. So basically the zombies are 28 days later style runners opposed to the Night of the Living Dead. Boo.

~10 Reasons Why I hate all 4 of the RE movies:

1. In the games, there is no ALICE. She simply does not exist.

2. It leaves out a big majority of RE characters, and the actors chosen vaguely resemble our S.T.A.R.S.

3. In the games, you fight huge spiders, snakes, bees, and other creatures or plants. Not in the movies.

4. The game RE 1 focuses on an extravagant mansion that was built for secret laboratories, including a shark tank underground from the guest house. The first movie only gives a very small glimpse of mansion life.

5. RE 1 the movie claims that Alice and Nemesis were once married. HUH???

6. Umbrella has many mutated creatures to fight in the games, and hidden compartments with creepy sound effects that you never see in the movies. We have yet to see the Leech, nor have we had the pleasure of seeing the sewers on the big screen.

7. RE 3 introduces us to Nemesis. The game play walks us in and out of buildings within Racoon City. It is my favorite of them all. It has nothing to do with the extinction in Las Vegas.

8. The S.T.A.R.S. are elite members of a team that oppose Umbrella's doings. They fight Umbrella. They get the credit. Not a chick named Alice.

9. Wesker has much greater power than the weak Wesker portrayed in the movie. Alice would have had an ultimate fight on her hands.

10. Those that have watched the movies but never played the games, have no idea what the games are really about at all. And that's really really unfortunate.

My hopes are that one day someone will make a deal with Capcom, and redo Resident Evil 1 and stick to the game. And don't even get me started with Silent Hill, which was just as disappointing.
Big Ole Badass Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Horror - Now now, sweet tits, Bob has to disagree about all four of them sucking. Shame on you Bob did like the first one.... sort of. The rest do indeed suck. Mad

Bob's a huge fan of the games, and yes, was very disappointed in how the movies didn't follow the basis of them. Evil or Very Mad

This is usually how game/movies go. You're bound for disappointment. Although, Bob's also a huge fan of the Silent Hill series.. and the movie wasn't half bad. Then again, Bob was so liquored up off of the Hooch™, that he wasn't in a state well enough to pass judgment on movie, let alone remember where the hell he was. Rolling Eyes

Yet again, we disagree. So, he will not condemn all movies made from games, like you do. Razz
Miss Horror

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Bob, Bob, Bob....Bob, Bob

How much do I need to teach you, huh?

If they're gonna make a movie based on a game, then why don't they do JUST THAT??

The first RE was the best by far...but as it's own movie. Why didn't they just call it something else? Like...I don't know...Evil Residents of Racoon City? Umbrella's Oopsie?? The Runaway Virus?? When you get me all excited about a movie based on a game I love, then bring the game to life for me!!!

Do you know how much scarier it would have been if they had based it within the mansion!!!!!! REAL SCARY! Like, your underpants scary!!!!!! Now that's some exorcist shit!!! Shocked

Now you just had to go all Silent Hill on me. Indeed I must put you in your place once again.

Christoff played Silent Hill before he made his movie to get a feel for the game. He did an excellent job with the special effects. But alas...there is a big difference between getting a "feel" of a game and loving it.

His story line combines 1 and 2 and completely changes the entire story base. In Silent Hill 1, Harry loses his daughter Cheryl and runs around S.H. looking for her. Remember the scary as shit school with all the ghost babies??? Where's that in the movie? NOT! Remember the pterodactyls? The dogs? Once again, not in the movie.. So so much was left out.

S.H. 2, James is running around looking for his wife that keeps mysteriously calling him and wrote him a letter. Remember the creepy town?? The apartment building with room after room of manequins that bleed and scream???? Remember the acid spitting men that slide from underneath cars and make you piss your pants?? Silent Hill 2 was the most unnerving video game I had ever played. None! Do you hear me NONE of that is in the movie!!!! People may have even liked Pyramid Head because he overlooked Dahlia and ripped the skin off the crazy church lady!!! WTF!!! NOT!!! Pyramid Head (called Red Pyramid in the movie) is an insanely evil demon that reigns over S. H. He does not bring good tidings of joy!!! What the hell is this "the city burns beneath and that's ashes" shit?? No it doesn't!

Why they change the gameplay is beyond me. These games would make the scariest movies imaginable. Just imagine if they made Fatal Frame!! Or Siren!

Oh Bobert, what am I gonna do with you? Rolling Eyes

I guess you enjoy the fact that Rob Zombie crucified the mystery of Mickey Myers and turned him into an emotionally abused child. And all this time I thought I was getting thru to that storage space on top of your neck... But I will never give up on you! I know that somewhere underneath all that dirty 70's sex shagged out rug you got over your heart, there is a weak light that wants to shine out all its love to the world!
CharlesTatum
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You two make for very formidable debaters.

(Though how Booty-Obsessed Bob has any brain cells left after all his Hooch-drinking is one for the scientsts to figure out...)

Miss Horror

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's only allowed to talk during recess
Mr.Dark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Resident Evil Afterlife Reply with quote

Miss Horror wrote:
Being an absolute lover of all the RE games, including having a tattoo of them, I have been disappointed with all the movies because they are so far off the storyline it's pathetic. But Afterlife absolutely took the cake.

The beginning was mostly narrated by Alice to catch us up in case we forgot what happened in the last movies, along with watching her videotape herself making a lonely diary. There was scene after scene of one person or another flying in an airplane. It was so mundane.

The action/fighting scenes were too unrealistic and over the top. Even though Alice has a million clones of herself, and her abilities are superhuman, it was still too much. Even fake can be believable if you do it right.

It was so predictable. A large part of the time I knew exactly what was going to happen.

So I'm guessing that the hive has been destroyed and now Umbrella bases it's research on a boat? You gotta be kidding me.

There was a part where a Tyrant (I believe that's what he's called) is using his huge weapon to break open their gate. Even though they only have a matter of seconds to pull a plan together to avoid being eaten by a zombie hoard, the movie deems it necessary that a couple of the characters have a touching moment. Not to mention they are moving very slowly to carry out their plan of escape. I was so disgusted.

I find it of utmost importance to mention that there are no creepy zombie scenes. The only time zombies are in the movie is when there's a group behind the gate, and a few run rabid chasing our heroines. The movie bases it's story on G virus mutants, and Las Plagas victims. So basically the zombies are 28 days later style runners opposed to the Night of the Living Dead. Boo.

2. It leaves out a big majority of RE characters, and the actors chosen vaguely resemble our S.T.A.R.S.

3. In the games, you fight huge spiders, snakes, bees, and other creatures or plants. Not in the movies.

4. The game RE 1 focuses on an extravagant mansion that was built for secret laboratories, including a shark tank underground from the guest house. The first movie only gives a very small glimpse of mansion life.

6. Umbrella has many mutated creatures to fight in the games, and hidden compartments with creepy sound effects that you never see in the movies. We have yet to see the Leech, nor have we had the pleasure of seeing the sewers on the big screen.

7. RE 3 introduces us to Nemesis. The game play walks us in and out of buildings within Racoon City. It is my favorite of them all. It has nothing to do with the extinction in Las Vegas.

8. The S.T.A.R.S. are elite members of a team that oppose Umbrella's doings. They fight Umbrella. They get the credit. Not a chick named Alice.

9. Wesker has much greater power than the weak Wesker portrayed in the movie. Alice would have had an ultimate fight on her hands.

10. Those that have watched the movies but never played the games, have no idea what the games are really about at all. And that's really really unfortunate.

My hopes are that one day someone will make a deal with Capcom, and redo Resident Evil 1 and stick to the game. And don't even get me started with Silent Hill, which was just as disappointing.

Milla has a body that, by itself, proves there is a God and that he loves us. Milla's abs = fighting spiders? No contest. Admit it to yourself, you know I'm right.
dolby

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resident evil afterlife Movie is amazing science fiction movie...
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Resident Evil Afterlife Reply with quote

Mr.Dark wrote:
Miss Horror wrote:

Milla has a body that, by itself, proves there is a God and that he loves us. Milla's abs = fighting spiders? No contest. Admit it to yourself, you know I'm right.

Yeah, Milla proves hands-down that you don't need to have big boobs to be very sexily attractive.
Miss Horror

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys make me giggle

I love Milla, too. As a matter of fact I had unwavering faith in "The Fourth Kind" just because she narrated it. She's wonderful, but they still should have stuck to my beloved game's storyline.

Mr Dark~ Wouldn't you have loved to see Milla writhing around trying to beat up those spiders? Of course you would have! Surprised

And oh, Dear Jack.... Imagine her jiggling around fighting off those pesty zombies! But as we both know.... those big time movie makers didn't think it was necessary to put zombies in a zombie movie.
FastDebrid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Resident Evil Afterlife Reply with quote

Miss Horror wrote:

This is the problem when movie people chose to adapt successful video games, books and TV shows into the big screen.
They think that getting into the successful franchise will make the movie successful as well since there is already an existing audience, and a huge one at that. This audience leave movie houses almost always disappointed since they expect something very similar to what they have liked in the first place. Watching Troy online (thanks to Fast-Debrid), I'm one of these unfortunate people who get dismayed. It was way different than the book I loved to read in high school.

Connecting that to RE, gamers who have played it, of course, know the story. (Remember reading attentively the subtitles in the Code Veronica while Chris was talking).
When you watch the film, you'd think the story would focus with Claire finding her brother but since the franchise has already banked on Alice, the story still revolves around her and her expedition. Claire and Chris were only supporting characters. And the zombie-signature scenes were missing. Wonder why.
sam222

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was fabulous movie i like it
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: