eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doctor Who
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Doctor Who Reply with quote

Christopher Eccleston has just been announced as the next Doctor Who for the BBC. Anyone care apart from me?
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always more of a Red Dwarf kinda guy, myself.

The name sounds familiar, tho. What else has he been in?
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's really good in A Price Above Rubies, and you also might remember him from The Others. He kinda disappears into the roles, which I like.
SpasticLemur
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, Dr. Who, truly love that series. Tom Baker will always be my very favorite incarnation of the good doctor. Just wish I could get the old series here. I'd record them, then transfer them to DVD.

Dish 500 doesn't even offer any PBS channels that makes it available to me though. Evil or Very Mad
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was the chief army guy in 28 Days Later... and also the bad guy in Gone in 60 Seconds. Don't let that put you off though (I mean, who could do anything with a villain whose name is...The Carpenter?).

He's a really capable actor, with his best roles probably being in British TV. If anyone's seen the original version of Cracker, he was Chief Inspector Billborough who ended up being killed by Robert Carlyle.

His best screen role is probably in Shallow Role (the flatmate who goes nuts)

Yeah Randy, I think I'd agree with you on Tom Baker being best (although Sylvester McCoy ties a close second). A lot of the old stuff is out on video or being re-released on dvd so you may be able to get some of the old classics soon.
SpasticLemur
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing a bit of searching, I found several Dr. Who DVD's available, unfortunately, here in the U.S., you must buy most of the series on DVD with just a few episodes.

However, I did find the Key To Time series as a complete DVD collection with Tom Baker (the 4th incarnation of the good doctor) at Amazon. Amazon wants 108.00 for this set, the link is

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000067FPE/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/104-4656197-1719162?v=glance&s=dvd&st=*

But after doing some more research, I found the same series over at Deep Discount DVD for just 93.00, and to me 15 bucks is 15 bucks because that means I can buy more DVD's. I got The Bridges Of Madison County for just 9.00 at Deep Discount DVD.

The Key To Time series Dr. Who collection link

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=BBC016920

I would have purchased the Bridges DVD through the site, but it was 3 bucks more plus shipping, and no shipping fees over at Deep Discount DVD.

The Key To Time series is a six disc collection.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I got that collection on vhs but not dvd. Buy it Randy, buy it!
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread to discuss the new season. Anyone else catch it? Anyone else like it?

I'm loving it so far - except for the bees thing, which is obviously going to be the season's main arc, yet the writers haven't found a way to work it in gracefully at all. It's all "Doctor, this adventure is exciting! Did I mention the bees? Weird. Let's continue our aventure!"

Other than that, though, this year's a keeper.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think this series has been excellent so far - much improved on the last. I just didn't care for Martha Jones at all, so I'm glad she's not in the whole season.

Does the season run concurrently, Dave? We've just had episode 3 here. Probably the weakest, but still fun. I thought the first 2 episodes were excellent though. Partners in Crime was downright hilarious at times, while Fires of Pompeii just looked fantastic.

Yeah, the bees arc is getting a little obvious - although there's also the matter of planets disappearing as well, as mentioned in the first 2 episodes.

What are your thoughts on Donna, Dave? When Catherine Tate was cast it caused a bit of controversy here. Still does, actually.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The season's set to debut over here on cable in a week or so. My wife, um, obtains the eps as they are over on your side. Ahem.

As for Martha... I seem to be the only person around who likes her, and perhaps prefers her to Rose. (My wife calls that blasphemy.) Davies' insistence on the unrequited-love angle didn't work for me, but otherwise, she was terrific, and I'm awaiting her return more than Rose's.

As for Tate... Since she's not a household name over here, the casting didn't really mean much. But she's a great fit (and a nice change of pace for the show), and I'm glad to see the writers move away from her "whine and bitch and squeal" phase from when we first met her.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just had the Christmas special on Friday, so the season proper begins this weekend. The special was kind of fun, although Sci-Fi's commercial breaks were annoying; without them, it seems like it would play like a short, crazy action movie, and is not designed for moments to stop and think.

I'm just glad to see that the Sontarans are showing up this season. They were ridiculous-looking characters, but enjoyably so, and the backstory is fun (if I remember correctly, some megalomaniac slaughtered his whole planet and replaced the population with clones of himself).

And I've read that Stephen Moffat replaces Davies as head writer after this series, so the future's pretty bright.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sci-Fi breaks are the very reason I can't watch them on that station. Breaks the flow in all kinds of terrible ways. (I also think the "next week..." teasers also ruin the flow of the eps, but that's the damn producers' fault.)

And double hooray for Moffat. I'm a huge fan, and his episodes are always the best of the season. Can't wait.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get too excited about the Moffat rumour, guys - he's on Tintin writing duties for Jackson and Spielberg so I don't know if he'd have time to commit to DW full time. Would be great if he did though - Blink from last season is still probably the best episode since the show came back.

Jay - I'm looking forward to the Sontarans too Wink
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he wouldn't have to commit to Doctor Who for a while - I gather Davies is writing the movie specials that will substitute for a new series in '09 while David Tenant spends most of his time on the stage, so Moffat has a year and a half to finish his Tintin scripts before show-running begins in earnest.

In truth, I'm at least partially satisfied with not-Davies. His name is usually attached to the year's stinker, and I don't know if his obvious skill at writing Dalek smack-talk balances out his faults.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, yes, it is Moffat after all Wink

Are we excited for the season's finale then? Have to say, this has been the most consistent season for me. The only story I've completely disliked has been The Doctor's Daughter - mainly because out of all the interesting potential daughters that he could have had, they picked the worst one Confused

Loved the Agatha Christie episode, and I thought the last two single-parters were magnificent. I'm completely in love with Donna by the way - a superbly written, adult companion who brings a lot more to the companion's relationship with the Doctor than just the lovey-dovey stuff of the last three seasons. If, as the season seems to be heavily signposting, she meets a sticky end, I'll be most upset - there will be blood.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm right with you - best season to date. The library two-parter remains the highlight, but there's not a dud in the bunch. (I even loved "The Doctor's Daughter".)

I was worried that Rose's return would be a sign of creative bankruptcy and cheap fan-pleasing gimmickry, but so far it's been solid.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was worried that the return of Rose was a bit desperate too - but it looks like it's been worked in very effectively.

Can't wait for tonight's episode!
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Last night's episode:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

That is all.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, that was my reaction exactly Dave. The wife couldn't stop laughing at me.

There's no way they're going to pull this off. No way...is there?
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you're officially killing the poor schmuck watching it on Sci-Fi (no watching on alternate sources for me, since this computer belongs to my employer and I thus don't want to take any chances of anything nasty getting on it).

I have loved the heck out of this series, though; I'm continually shocked how this show gets better every year. I do have to admit that I still wonder how good it would be if Christopher Eccleston were getting these great scripts; I've grown to really like Tennant's Doctor, but I really loved how Eccleston just felt slightly alien no matter what.

For that matter, I've really liked the second series of Torchwood and the first series of Sarah Jane; I smiled like a maniac when K-9 showed up in the finale.

I am looking forward to this (scroll down), though. Smile Should be a blast with a crowd.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, thoughts on the finale then?

I'll say nothing just yet for fear of spoilers...
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved it like mad - but also makes me happy to see the end of the Davies era. He's a fangirl in the worst way sometimes.

I'll save other comments until Jayman catches up.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F***ing Comcast.

Proceed with the thread without me, at least until Sci-fi does some sort of marathon or the DVDs come out.

Damnit!
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, as Jay is skipping the thread until he's caught up, I'll try and boil down my thoughts into bullet points:

1) As I feared, too many characters with too little to do. Jackie Tyler with a gun made me die a little inside.

2) Rose's return didn't work for me at all. Little emotion, and she actually annoyed me - it was like she came back not to save the universe, but to jump the Doctor's bones.

3) Hugely convenient get out clauses throughout the episode, from the resolution of the cliffhanger to the technobabble that saved everyone.

4) However - Davros was utterly fantastic. Best returning villain yet.

5) It was jaw-droppingly epic at times and for all its flaws, was never less than entertaining.

6) The last ten minutes was the most emotionally devastating television I've ever seen. Worse than Henry Blake dying and the end of Blackadder Goes Forth rolled into one. All of Donna's memories of her time with the Doctor, and all that growth she underwent - gone forever (or are they...?). Completely heartbreaking from "binary binary binary binary" to begging the Doctor not to take her back and right through to Wilf's last words to the Doctor. That final silent shot of the Doctor said it all. Catherine Tate has been utterly, utterly magnificent this season. The best companion yet and good on her for proving all the naysayers wrong on her casting.

So, yeah, barmy and enjoyable, but flawed with typical Davies' excess. I am greatly looking forward to the Moffat era - although Davies' era technically hasn't ended, as he's still writing/producing next years specials in place of an actual season.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with ya on every point.

The "double Doctors" and "not-really regeneration" and "Rose gets her own Doctor" bits all felt like fan fiction. (The reasoning for Rose having to return to the other universe when Mickey gets to stay was cheap and phony and pretty damn stupid.) But everything else was fantastic, especially Donna.

I cried a little when Harriet Jones bought it. I also loved her speech about why she doesn't regret her "Christmas Invasion" decisions, and the bit about why the Daleks suck because they're not human.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> TV Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: