eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Bit Underrated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Reliving the Summer of 1990 - Week Three
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: A Bit Underrated Reply with quote

Murphy, who watched helplessly as his box office appeal plummeted after his directorial debut, the funky gangster comedy “Harlem Nights,”

I'm one of the few who actually thinks it's a pretty decent picture. Yes, it's contrived and derivative and saddled with way too many adoring close-ups of its star/writer/director, but I saw this opening night and found it very interesting and fairly funny as far as these things go.

As for Another 48 Hrs., another harmless cinematic endeavor. Was it a sequel that was just bursting at the seams to get made? No. But the action sequences deliver, the villains are colorful and menacing, and Nolte and Murphy still radiate some serious star chemistry. (Now, Another Stakeout -- that was one sorry-as-hell sequel!)
brianorndorf
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HARLEM NIGHTS needs to be revisited, that's for sure. It's been a long time...

I remember being overwhelmed by it at the time.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not terrible, but its also not up to 80's Murphy standards. I think the last truly good film Murphy's been in was "Boomerang" which, entertaining as it was, still wasn't "Coming To America" which was Murphy's last 'great' film.

Some may include "Bowfinger" and yes, Murphy was actually extremely funny in it playing the hapless younger brother of... himself, but the movie that surrounds him just runs with the most obvious jokes about the industry and doesn't really do anything innovative with them (or actually funny for that matter) - best scene? Murphy running through traffic.
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kand El wrote:
Its not terrible, but its also not up to 80's Murphy standards. I think the last truly good film Murphy's been in was "Boomerang" which, entertaining as it was, still wasn't "Coming To America" which was Murphy's last 'great' film.

Some may include "Bowfinger" and yes, Murphy was actually extremely funny in it playing the hapless younger brother of... himself, but the movie that surrounds him just runs with the most obvious jokes about the industry and doesn't really do anything innovative with them (or actually funny for that matter) - best scene? Murphy running through traffic.

Thought for a second you were talking about Holy Man. Oh wait, in that one he WALKS through traffic.

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be badmouthing Bowfinger.

K.I.T.

Keep It Together.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Reliving the Summer of 1990 - Week Three All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: