eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RIP Tony Curtis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlesTatum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: RIP Tony Curtis Reply with quote

He was 85. That look on his face when he and Jack Lemmon first appear in drag, sauntering down the train platform in "Some Like It Hot," still makes me giggle.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I'll probably and deservedly take heat for this, but I haven't seen a single film of his. Just didn't get roped in in my radar.
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably one of the few people to despise Some Like it Hot, but c'mon Jack, you have to see it.

About Curtis, I don't know, I always found him to be the weakest element in very good films (which is what they used to say about Orlando Bloom a few years ago), upstaged by better actors -- The Defiant Ones (opposite Poitier), Sweet Smell of Success (Lancaster), The Vikings (Douglas), Spartacus (Douglas again), Operation Petticoat (Grant), and, indeed, Some Like it Hot -- and too weak to carry a film on his own, which may explain his career rut past the early 1960's.

Nothing new in this; Victor Mature went through the same decline, only to re-emerge, towards the end of his career, as a deliberate parody of himself (After the Fox). But Mature, surprisingly enough for someone whose fame was launched as beefcake material, could act, as My Darling Clementine proved relatively early on, and which was confirmed by his turning in the least embarrassing performance in The Robe (its spin-off Demetrius and the Gladiators, in which he had the starring role, is on my "guilty pleasures" list). Curtis appeared in serious films, but maybe as a result of getting upstaged, rarely left a mark. There was perhaps too much of the heartthrob left in him to be entirely successful, until middle age caught up with him.

I know that The Boston Strangler is supposed to have resurrected Curtis's career, and the accounts of its filming (which I consulted for my Richard Fleischer tribute) are quite heartbreaking -- especially the part about his being able to obtain the part by agreeing to letting the studio keep his name off the credits if he proved an embarrassment. But even then, I can't see how another actor could not have achieved as good as performance as his. And the years after 1968, sad to say, include no really notable work.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, Curtis wasn't in the league as some of his contemporaries, but he was no slouch when it came to acting. He certainly isn't embarrassed by any of his co-stars in the films named above, and he was just brimming with charisma.

A very sad loss, the world's a duller place without him. Anyone who's stuck for anything fun to read could do a lot worse than his autobiography.
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Matt. Tony wasn't the best thespian in the world, and his good looks were more a hindrance rather than an asset (watch The Great Race for example) just like it was for Leo DiCaprio, but he could certainly hold his own. His performance in The Defiant Ones remains my favorite along with it being my favorite movie of his, and he plays off Poitier impressively well.

I'll miss him for that movie and for Some Like it Hot and Taras Bulba. the guy was also capable of doing his own stunts, a true physical athlete.

My father was also a huge fan of his, and was really saddened by the news.

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
inevitablewilliam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has dominated the movie world for six years and this is a great loss to the industry,
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: