eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eraserhead 1976~ Give me a reason why I bothered

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss Horror

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Eraserhead 1976~ Give me a reason why I bothered Reply with quote

The most horrible movie I have ever watched. I don't get it. Can somebody please tell me what this movie was about??? Clue 1: The picture on the wall of the atomic blast. So, does that mean it was during a post apocalyptic time? Does that explain the mutant sickly baby creatures and the mumps on the lady's face?
Now what about them using his head to make erasers? The pencil dust...is that saying that men meant nothing? That is is as fragile as dust?
The guy moving the levers in the little room...was he the guy's thoughts? Similar to Stephen King's method in Dreamcatcher?? The windows of the mind?
I am so lost and confused. This movie had high ratings. I don't get it.
Mycosyco

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the same way. I rented it back in the late eighties because all the movie snobs talked about how great it was. I found it creepy and boring. I wanted to like it so I could agree with my avante garde friends, but I'm too honest to lie just to be "hip". In my opinion it's not a good movie, just another example of someone making something odd, claiming it's great art and shaking their heads at the "dummies" who don't get it.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with most things Lynch does, it's not about "getting" it, it's about getting into it. If you dig his style, as I do, you'll dig his stuff.

I've said this before re: Inland Empire: I love Lynch's movies, but I'm not about to tell anyone they're stupid because they don't like his movies, or they didn't "get it," or whatever. I know there are movie snobs who do shit like that. I don't play that.

All I can do is try to explain why I love his movies, including Eraserhead, and the place I do that is usually in a review. My job is not to convince everyone else that they should have the same taste I do. But, like, you two didn't dig Eraserhead and that's totally fine. That movie in particular is not gonna be for everyone. It polarizes even Lynch fans. It's not an easy movie.

Just saying, it's possible to like Eraserhead and not be some snob pretending I have information you don't have. Shit, I don't "know" what it's "about" any more than you do. I just dig what Lynch does. Then again, I also find Terrence Malick's films boring as fuck. That's just me. Others think he's the greatest great that ever greated and that, too, is totally fine.

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally managed to get through it, but I must admit I didn't exactly derive a whole lot of pleasure from it.
Miss Horror

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't trying to put anybody down for liking it. People like what they like. But personally, I at least like to have a clue of what's going on. And I was hoping for some feedback on the plot. I like challenging and debating movies. Getting other people's views is sometimes eye-opening. But for this flick...no one has yet given me anything to go on.
Mr.Dark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Well.. Reply with quote

You have to be deeply, deeply stoned to sit through the Naked Lunch.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people said you needed to be stoned to enjoy Kubrick's bloated borefest "2001", but it's so sensory-deadening mechanical that not even the best LSD could've made it a pleasure to sit through. Hell, being high watching the plane land at the beginning of "Die Hard" was more intense!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: