eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sucker Punch Critics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Dark

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Sucker Punch Critics Reply with quote

First, it's a crappy movie I'll give you that. What bothers me is how many critics (not on this site but elsewhere) get the little details wrong,
World War I Germans are not Nazis being the second most common mistake.

But the most common - by far - is central to the plot.

<SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! - DANGER, WILL ROBINSON>

Baby Doll is drug off to the nuthouse after fending off a possible rape attempt by her step-father. The bordello/dance hall fantasy level isn't just something Baby Doll created out of thin air really - it reflects a portion of her reality. Her dancing to hypnotize men isn't shown and it isn't really dancing.

She is being raped. And I don't mean this metaphorically. Her bordello fantasy is very close to her reality - she is an involuntary sex provider and the other girls have been going through it too, possibly for years.
That is how she "hypnotizes" the orderlies via moving her body.

And when it's too much for her to cope with even on her first level of fantasy she wanders off into a reality where she isn't absolutely and completely helpless. Every CGI explosion represents a rape and that's where the title comes from I think. The visual selling point of the movie tries to impress but it's just a retreat from a horrible reality. The "rape" scenes sell the movie - and just hide what they are in reality.

It's also a profoundly stupid movie with fantasy sequences that don't seem to fit the mind of a girl in the 60s (steampunk soldiers, Tron robots, mecha-samurai?), the soundtrack beats you in the face, and haven't we all gotten tired of the slo-mo/speed ramp thing already?
incredible

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing i loved in this movie is its visual effects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: