eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Punch-Drunk Love: Brace yourselves for a cumbath

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:08 am    Post subject: Brace yourselves for a cumbath Reply with quote

Be prepared for Erik, Jim, and Collin's reviews for this flick. I'm predicting you'll actually be able to smell their semen as you read their respective reviews.

I liked the flick OK, but frankly I'm stunned at the overwhelmingly positive reviews this one's getting.

LOTR fanboys I can handle. These PTA boys are fast overtaking them.

Wink
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classy Scott,

I'm still trying to wipe the cumstains off of your gushing of Moulin Rouge!

REVENGE IS MINE!!!!!!

Erik Laughing
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A. You'd never even have SEEN this thread had I not immediately sent you the link.

B. There's more heart and artistry in the first 25 minutes of Moulin Rouge than in the whole of Punch-Drunk Love.

C. I remember a certain FEMALE who promptly helped change your critical tune re: Moulin Rouge

D. PTA could make an 84 minute film entitled Me Wiping My Ass and you'd fall all over yourself (for 12 paragraphs) praising it as the next Citizen Kane.

E. "Chicago Pizza" is a sham. Pizza was invented in Italy. Windy City idiots.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I need to know is that if Adam Sandler's in it, it can't be all that. This guy's last moment of brilliance was The Wedding Singer, and even that was far from cumbath worthy
Collin Souter
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same can be said for George Lucas fans, Scott.

Yes, I loved Punch-Drunk Love, and I'm not ashamed to say it. I know not everyone will like it, so I recommend it with slight hesitation. Look, if you didn't like Magnolia, you should probably stay away, because it's just as insane, but only half as long.

One of the best orgasms I've had all year.

Collin
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if someone loved Magnolia (and also thinks that Boogie Nights is one of the best films of the 90's) and only 'sorta liked' Punch-Drunk Love ?
Collin Souter
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I'm saying is that your expectations should be the same for Punch Drunk. It's not a crowd-pleaser, it's strange, the characters are the sort of people you're not used to seeing in the movies, and not everything gets tied up at the end. You're left to interpret things on your own, and that's not everybody's cup of tea. Many people hated Magnolia and it's not hard to see why. I'm sure there will be people who hate this too.

One of the reasons I'm a PTA fan is because he's one of the few young directors out there who doesn't try to be hip, cynical and ironic. He and Wes Anderson have been labled perpetrators of something called the New Sincerity Movement. It's a lable that works for them. Their movies are sincere. They have depth and humanity, something that seems lacking in today's cinema. The characters, as strange as some of them are, have personal issues that many people can identify with and their actions are consistent with their character, unlike most films where a character takes action just to move the plot along to a crowd-pleasing conclusion. By the end of a PT or Wes Anderson film, the characters are still messed up, but at least we know they're trying.

And these movies have a unique personality behind them. Originality, perfectly-rendered characters and subtle humor should always be encouraged. And the soundtracks also kick fucking ass.

But it's interesting that Moulin Rouge would be the comparison. These movies have their similarities. They're both about two people trying to maintain their love and need for one another against difficult backdrops (the decadence of Paris and the drab, money-obsessed America). Both movies use music to drive home the romance. Both movies have characters who have an innocence about them that you don't see too often. Both are very colorful and unique.

The big difference (but not the only, obviously) is that PT Anderson lets the viewer linger for more than a couple seconds on a single shot.

CS
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You're left to interpret things on your own, and that's not everybody's cup of tea.

Yeah! And I dont like big wurds either!
Collin Souter
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed No more drinking.

And please stop thinking about my semen. You're starting to creep me out (more than usual).

CS
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering:

Why is it that when someone disagrees regarding a movie you* LOVE, they're often dismissed as "not getting it" or being "unable to open their mind"?

(* - 'You' meaning anyone, not just Souty.)

I 'got' PDL. Despite the clumsy weirdness of it, I did understand it. All of it. And still I'd list it as a 'worthwhile curiosity', but not even close to the excellence of his last 2 flicks.
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That drives me nuts, too. Intelligent people can have differing opinions. Art is meant to be subjective. You can get something and appreciate the effort but not really like it.
Collin Souter
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't get it. I was merely trying to explain why I have consistantly enjoyed PTA's work and why some people might not (some people, not just Scotty). Of course a film like this will draw different reactions out of people. That's great, I love that about art. Bring it on. What a boring world this would be if everyone on the planet loved PDL.

But you were the one who said that PTA fans will like anything the man does, which is to suggest that we're a bunch of brainless sheep who lack objectivity. That's wrong. Yes, I was excited when the lights went down at the Music Box theater and the movie came on, but I was also excited about Attack of the Clones. What a let-down that was. It is possible for me to be let down by a PTA movie, as well as a U2 song or a performance by Edward Norton. Life is full of disappointments.

CS
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I see the front page of HBS is deluged in semen today.

Jesus, you guys better be right about this one. I really loathe Adam Sandler and all his bullshit these days. I know it's not a Sandler film, but it's still Sandler, by God.
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y2,

Put your Sandler hesitation at the door and trust us on this one. Even if you don't love it the way we do, I'll bet that you'll at least like it.

Erik

P.S. I have some leftover squirts for The Ring. Anyone else with me on great I think this one is? Not to mention Bowling for Columbine and the forthcoming The Grey Zone.
Collin Souter
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, I see the front page of HBS is deluged in semen today.

Yes, Welcome To Collinwood.

CS
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have some leftover squirts for The Ring

Now THAT'S one I'll hop on the circle jerk for. I'm way stoked for a quality horror movie. And I've ALWAYS got a squirt or two for Naomi Watts.
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw PDL Saturday night.

I enjoyed the film but felt like I needed a little more character development for Sandler's role. The romance was right up my alley: wierd, intense, quiet.

The worst part of this movie? The audience I saw it with. They were obviously the conditioned Sandler crowd. They kept laughing during the entire film. It was worse then Pavlov, it made me uncomfortable to hear people laughing when the character is so obviously breaking. I kept asking my companion, why are they laughing? this is not funny!

The woman a seat away from me decided to share her observations in a slightly louder than normal voice. "Why is he doing that?" "Is he going to wear that during the whole movie?" "Why doesn't he just cancel it?" She also climbed over us three times to get in and out of the row.

I did have the guts to turn to her, smile and say in my most sugar-honey-pie voice "I'm sorry, could you not talk so loud? Thanks! "
She apologized, then did it once more, apologized again and didn't repeat.

I love it when my hometown gets a mention Smile

-M
Collin Souter
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been hearing that a lot lately. Apparently, people think of this as just another Adam Sandler movie, which is strange. People are just laughing at everything he does in this movie. I haven't seen it with a suburban crowd yet, but I'm certainly curious to hear the reaction.
CS
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are a bunch of sick fucks

bleh....

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to which post are you referring with the "sick fucks" comment? (maybe all of them?)

I saw it, liked it overall though I had some problems with it. Review to come.
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each one that has to do with "semen" Confused

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: