eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Miramax Biggie in Surprise Departure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject: Miramax Biggie in Surprise Departure Reply with quote

from imdb.com

Culminating what today's (Wednesday) Los Angeles Times described as months of friction between Miramax Co-chairman Harvey Weinstein and Mark Gill, president of Miramax's Los Angeles office, Gill said in a surprise announcement Tuesday that he is stepping down to start his own production company with Mark Gordon (The Patriot, Saving Private Ryan, Speed) and financier Bob Yari. The company will be known as Stratus Film Co., which reportedly plans to focus on movies in the $10-million to $40-million range. The Times said that the split came after Weinstein attempted to shift Gill's primary focus to marketing despite Gill's own desire to concentrate on development and production"

Well, since Weinstein has been known to be a hack that likes to whore members of the academy by promoting lackluster films to academy award nominations. I guess Gill got tired of it and quit, to set his own studio to so he can now promote and whore members of the academy to promote HIS films to academy award nominations. Since now money is the main thing instead of talent and quality, I guess we'll have another crappy oscar race next year

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:40 pm    Post subject: maybe not. Reply with quote

I dunno, I'm thinking that with Bowling For Columbine, Punch Drunk Love, Insomnia, One Hour Photo and The Ring on the horizon (not to mention some film about Two Towers), there could well be enough quality going around to dull the whoring.

But you're right, Weinstein is a terrible hack. He had some good people bringing him good movies five years ago and he built an empire on their backs - now he's let Miramax become just another medium-sized teen-crap factory. Lions Gate seems to be the only shop in town (or outta town as it were) that's taking any risks anymore.
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think the change in Miramax came partly from hitching their wagon to Disney? Isn't that why they couldn't release Dogma? Don't you think the moral expectations cripple them creatively to some degree?
Kelly Palma
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disney = Big Black Space Sucking Hole
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Disney side of things doesn't hurt them too much. They didn't lose money on Dogma, they just didn't make any. Let's face it, gone are the days when Miramax would go find an Il Postino and bring it to a mainstream audience, now they rehash Jackie Chan flicks from 1988, put dubbing on Life Is Beautiful and make low budget studio flicks.

Though I'd sell my soul to them in a second.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: