eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lost
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sporkgirl
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: lost Reply with quote

anyone who isn't watching "lost" by now, seriously, i'm going to kick your teeth in.
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who isn't watching because of Smallville. I keep telling her, but she won't listen....
sporkgirl
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell her she's full of shit, because you can watch lost on rerun on saturday. Very Happy
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not watching anything else but Scrubs for the next few weeks. I'm downloading every episode I can find and lining them up, one after another, and until I'm caught up, the TV is turned off.

But I'll catch up to Lost. Eventually.
sporkgirl
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't count, cause youse canadian.

i should clarify: if you're a neilsen family (the only people who count) or have a tivo, and you aren't watching "lost", i'm going to kick you in your teeth.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see them try to renew THIS series....
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILERS****************************************

PLEASE HELP

My recording of "Lost" got cut off tonight. Locke had just said to Boone, "How did you feel when she died?"

Please, please, please - tell me what he said.
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relieved.

This is so funny, first time I ever watch Lost, first time you miss it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Bless you.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to say it, but I'm getting really sick of this show's cheating ways.

First they NEVER show you what's "chasing" people. That's a cheat.

And then they offer the omnipresent idea that NONE of it is really happening, anyway!

So next week could have a brass band, 300 French hookers, King Kong, T. Rex, Alf and Big Bird. Because nothing's REAL anyway.
Luke Pyzik
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tivo cut off Lost at the same point as Natasha's. Luckily, I was only about ten minutes behind, and since my tuner was on ABC, i was able to see the end. What the hell is ABC's problem? First, they start running shows one minute longer to fuck up my TIVO, now, they're running it even longer, a minute past when they say it's going to end. This has caused me to axe my Desperate Housewives season pass because of the turmoil their rouge minute has caused my sunday night recording, and I say good riddance - the show is overrated anyway.

I enjoyed the feature a few months back taking ABC to task for this, but have any other media outlets addressed this, and has ABC come up with any kind of reasonable response?

What a bunch of pricks.
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. YEAH!

I too am ditching ABC programming, "Desperate Housewives" partly because it will interfere with "Arrested Development" when it moves times again. I would rather wait and get the full effect on DVD than be screwed over week after week with these piddling minutes issues. It doesn't only affect TiVo users - lots of people still record to video as well. It just plain sucks that the one year they finally get a couple of decent shows, they immediately start sticking it to the fans.
Ryan_A
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheAngryJew wrote:
Hate to say it, but I'm getting really sick of this show's cheating ways.

I HATED the finish of Lost last night. I don't mind the flashbacks to backstory, I don't mind the slowly doling out of info, but it's WAY too early in this show's life to pull the "it was all in his mind" ending.
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from IMDb:

Some TV viewers were expressing anger on Internet message boards and blogs Wednesday over ABC's decision to allow its hit drama Lost to run a full three minutes past 9:00 p.m. in hopes of discouraging audiences from switching to another channel and instead sticking around for Alias. One angry viewer posted a message saying that in retaliation he plans to write to advertisers telling them that he now plans to tape Lost and fast-forward through all the commercials. He encouraged others to do the same. "If the advertisers take note of many letter writers, they will pressure ABC to stop the practice of dragging over to the next show."
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show had me last night. It really did. But that ending is pretty unforgivable.

Like Ryan said, I think the flashback structure actually works incredibly well. I love discovering the backstories, particularly that little aside that Boone saw jackass-boy in the police station. But that little DePalma stunt last night was horseshit.
sporkgirl
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you were seriously *surprised* that it was a hallucination? i'm sorry, you just weren't paying attention, or you're too used to the furmulaic in the law&order variety.

i thought this week's lost was too dumbed down. it was too obvious what was going on, and i was kind of mad about *that*. "this is for later". i mean come ON. who didn't think locke was going to poison/drug him at that point?

and it is so not cheating to not show whatever is doing the chasing. if *they* had a clear view of it and we still don't get to see, that's cheating. but they don't know what it is (except maybe locke). and helllllooooo in a dream, you *never* see what it is that is chasing you.

if you really didn't see the end coming, i'm sorry, you just need to pay better attention.
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. For one - Bite Me.

Secondly - I said the show had me. Meaning it had me believing. Because it would be completely fucking stupid to allow the hallucination to go on for so long without any clue that it was a hallucination.

So he puts some applesauce on Boone's head. We're supposed to think that's a drug he was able to create on this unknown island that allows its victim to see his sister tied up (cough - fantasy maybe?) and then spend time talking to her, running with her, hiding with her and then seeing her picked up, taken away and then chewed up on the river? P-L-Fucking-EASE. If he never found his sister after she was taken away, it would have been a little less lame, but still unbelievably lame.

I thought it might have been a dream at first. Of course I thought of that. I even thought hallucination when he just HEARD his sister screaming. But when it goes ON and ON and ON and in the middle of the hallucination he's able to separate himself and have a flashback on TOP of that??? Gimme a small fucking break.

Even in Femme Fatale there were clues along the way that it was all a dream. This was a blatant CHEAT plain and simple that has nothing to do with "paying attention."
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viewers have known for some time that the island has its own sort of wish fulfillment reality, right? We've certainly known it since we found out Locke arrived in a wheelchair and became super-hunter/tracker guy. The mystical element of that has been in place, so you really have to question the reality or unreality of anything that happens. As Locke has already clued in to that, he can probably make or catch or do or drug anything he wants along the way. The invisible monster is the creation of their own fear, don't you think? It's the manifestation of what they had worried, in their deepest, darkest recesses might be on that island.
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically the show should just be called Lost In Sphere
sporkgirl
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps i chose the wrong word. you are right. a simple dream or a simple hallucination is not what happened and does not explain the structure and length involved. think of it more as a trip. a long, hard trip. he be trippin. in a dream, you're right. you cannot untie yourself and stumble around the jungle for sevreal hours. but if you be trippin', you can.

and it's part of the *fun* to not know everything that is going on. and to not have everything handed to you in a neat little package in the last 3 minutes of the show. in my opinion, *that* is cheating. it treats you like a fucking idiot. and i happen to think there were clues along the way that yes, it is not real. the not seeing the monster, the lack of coherent conversation, all the elements of an anxiety/chase dream.

too many clues and the audience feels talked down to, like we're retarded, too few and it's cheating. it's a delicate balance. you think they erred on one side, i think they erred on the other. fair enough.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-my gal and I knew the bro/sis race through the woods was BS- how could it be anything else? annoyed me though, b/c I would have been far, far more appreciative of the show if one of Locke's "great lessons" backfired on him, and he had to live with the consequences. Know-it-alls tend to tire rather quickly without a fuck up or two to ground them.

I don't mind not seeing the beasts. Worked for Lovecraft, works for me. And hey, we get more Polar Bears next week anyway. What really, really bothers me is nobody saying- well, it looked like... or ITS A BIG ...- that is where I as an audience member, must call Shennanigans- SOMEBODY would discuss what they saw, even if it was just a glimpse- fur, scales, anything? Besides, the monster's "roar" sounds like the end of day whistle at a steel mill- in other words, manufactured by humans.

If it is some ol' Star Trek/Twilight Zone/Outer Limits/Sphere/General Sci-Fi wish/fear fulfillment thing, well, as you can see, its not the first time someone has taken and older concept and gone fresh- that's fine with me, as long as the execution stands up- for me, Lost has done so. Part of what made "Farscape" great was that when they would do their "scientific conundrum" episodes, rather than ending with flowers and good will, there would be pain, reprocussions, consequences, and most importantly memory of the incident in future episodes. Lost does the same here (I have even heard a fun speculation from my gal of the passengers being in Purgatory, Heaven, or Hell being the cause), and I still have some faith that the show, which has done some really excellent twists that I did not see coming, still has the juice to suprise and fulfill at the same time.

Personally, the brother/sis romance was far creepier than anything else I saw- and the chunky Aussie guy beating our protagonist up was more real and horrible to me than the beasties- that often happens in Stephen King novels to me as well- the bullies are almost always worse than the monsters.
Daddy Plaid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!
Kand El, you know exactly how to write what I'm thinking.

Arrow My VCR took a dump like so and so's above...
what happened when they opened the hatch?

So anyone got any possible answers as to the invisibility thing?
My lame guess is they're on the bikini atoll.
the Grinch
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natasha_theobald wrote:
from IMDb:

Some TV viewers were expressing anger on Internet message boards and blogs Wednesday over ABC's decision to allow its hit drama Lost to run a full three minutes past 9:00 p.m. in hopes of discouraging audiences from switching to another channel and instead sticking around for Alias. One angry viewer posted a message saying that in retaliation he plans to write to advertisers telling them that he now plans to tape Lost and fast-forward through all the commercials. He encouraged others to do the same. "If the advertisers take note of many letter writers, they will pressure ABC to stop the practice of dragging over to the next show."

Because they know it's the only way they can get viewers to actually WATCH Alias, one of the most overrated, retarded shows I've ever seen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First season of Alias wasn't too bad. When Lena Olin was on it, it was kinda cool, too. Never appointment TV, though. And I haven't seen an episode in two years.

Lost? Well, the only good thing I can say for it is that every time I've watched it, I've gotten a really good nap... Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daddy Plaid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto, I'm hooked. I await next weeks 2 hour fest more than
I want to see 24 monday.

So, is next week it? Or anyway they might drag it out to another season?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> TV Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: