eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Release Date thread/page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: New Release Date thread/page Reply with quote

Sure, the front page lists releases for the next 8 days. but that's not enough for movie sluts like us. So I decided the easiest method would be to add 'em like this.

http://www.hollywoodbitchslap.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31670

It's a no-post forum, so if you have any suggestions on what you'd like to see on this page, let me know.

Should the info be centered? Should I include the distributor's name? The director? Some actors? Should I go all the way through the summer? Should I just leave it as is?
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go all the way through the summer. We all look forward to the BIG releases.

Maybe if there's a particular director of interest - list him as director. Otherwise, looks good.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, but who's to decide who the "noteworthy" directors are? Sure we all wanna know when the next Spielberg flick is due, but other people care a lot about Michael Winterbottom and Catherine Breillat. Basically: if I add directors, I gotta add all of 'em. I'm anal about my movies.
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken. But I would consider those you mentioned as "noteworthy" - the only ones would be your Adam Shankman's and Clare Kilner's.

Although you may want to list so we can then fear and avoid. So, if the director thing is an option, you may indeed want to go the full way.
Ryan_A
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this idea.

What about making them linkable? Either to their respective IMDb page or maybe to a trailer, if available?

Just a thought...
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On limited/regional releases: Is it possible to include info on how limited (the typical "NY/LA" comment will be most used, I'm sure), as well as when/if the title's going to go wide?

Also, why not list wide releases first, instead of mixed in?

Great idea, by the way. Very handy.

Dave, whose city is never "selected"
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What about making them linkable? Either to their respective IMDb page or maybe to a trailer, if available?

That's something I was JUST considering, but it seems a whole lot of extra work when the reader could obviously just pop open an extra window and search IMDb on their own. I'm still thinking about it though.

Quote:
On limited/regional releases: Is it possible to include info on how limited (the typical "NY/LA" comment will be most used, I'm sure), as well as when/if the title's going to go wide?

I was going to include the "NY/LA" thing, but it seemed fairly redundant. 90% of all limited releases are NY/LA. The remaining 10% seem to be those regional releases in Baton Rouge whenever Jeff Daniels makes a movie about vacuum cleaners. Also, those who live in those "limited" areas know who they are. We're the Chicagoans, the Philadelphians, the Bostonians, the Detroitians, the Phoenicians, the Anchoragians, etc.

Regarding your second point, you'll notice that I have the film "Closer" italicized for Dec. 3rd, but you'll also find it in bold for Dec. 25th. I plan to do all "first limited, now wide" movies this way.

Quote:
Also, why not list wide releases first, instead of mixed in?

My main reason for not doing this was an "all movies are created equal" kinda thing, like I don't think that XXX Part 2 should automatically get higher billing than a tiny indie drama about horse breeders. But it's a good suggestion, and one I might just follow through on. It's all about making things smoother for the reader, so that might be a change worth making.

Thanks for the feedback, fellas. Take another look at the pages ( http://www.hollywoodbitchslap.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9724 ) now that they're all streamlined and funky.
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this. You know, I don't fear death, but I do fear not getting to see all of the movies yet to be released when I go.
lindy03

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natasha_theobald wrote:
I love this. You know, I don't fear death, but I do fear not getting to see all of the movies yet to be released when I go.
Laughing That's good stuff Laughing

I feel like that, too, actually Very Happy
Stephen Groenewegen
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies and gents, I gotta say, how cool is Scott?

What a top effort. These pages rock.

Thanks for going through the whole year too. I always get more excited about the fall releases than the summer popcorn flicks, so I'm well stoked with what you've done.

Good to have the distributor listed, and I like the idea of listing the bold wide release date separately, if a flick's already been out in limited release.

Thanks for putting in the hard yards to get it set up, these pages will be worth coming back to. Often.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas and fellinas. I aim to keep these pages updated as well as ANY online resource. And since I check those resources a dozen times a week, I don't expect it to be all that difficult.

Glad you're finding it helpful. But I must give credit to my muse: Miss Frosty often wants to know when Movie X is coming out. So I'd go to a release date site and tell her. Then I figured we could use one of our very own. So we should probably call that forum the "Frosty L. T-Byrd Release Date Compendium and Alaskan Extravaganza, Inc."
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Feedback/Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: