eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here's how Microsoft works....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Here's how Microsoft works.... Reply with quote

The Xbox console I own was made in October of 2002. I know this because there's a sticker on the bottom that says so.

This particular Xbox model contains what's called the "Thomson" hard drive. (Later models are fitted with either "Phillips" or "Samsung" hard drives, and you'll soon see why.)

Apparently the Thomson hard drive is something of a time bomb. As in...it's pretty much guaranteed to drop dead once it's two or three years old. Which I just found out through first-hand knowledge. Basically whenever I put a game into the console, I get an error telling me the CD cannot be recognized. And if I DO get the thing to load up, it only runs for 5-15 minutes before I get a dead-on full-screen error telling me "the disc you're using is dirty or damaged." But this happens on ALL my games, one of which I just purchased today...so it's not the software.

So I do a few Google searches and I discover that basically every half-knowledgable Xbox fan knows that the Thomson drives are always dying. It's an accepted fact at this point. So my Xbox is basically a fucking paperweight at this point. I've had the thing way too long to bring it back to a Walmart...so I call Xbox Tech Support.

Long story short: if I ship my Xbox to them (along with $79) they will repair it AND give me a year's fresh warranty. (As if THAT'S some kind of bargain; what fucking product needs a YEAR'S warranty...after it was just fucking FIXED for 80 bucks???) So then I poke around at maybe seeing if I can replace this hard drive myself...

I learn that IF you open your Xbox on your own, you can NEVER send it to Microsoft for repairs. They won't touch it. Which also means that you cannot, say, take the thing to a local repair shop. Which means that Microsoft is, basically, the only way I can get my Xbox fixed...for 80 bucks. Or I can buy an all-new one for $150.

Recapping: Microsoft installed a shoddy hard drive. They know they did because they replaced it with a different brand pretty quickly. They will not allow me to have it fixed unless I give them 80 bucks...despite the fact that I paid 200 bucks for the thing less than three years ago. They are, by their own design, the ONLY way to get an Xbox repaired, and they'll ask me for 80 bucks - even though it's common knowledge that this particular hard drive is destined to drop dead after 2+ years.

I've always been a huge fan and supporter of the Xbox system, but right now I'm so freaking pissed off about this obviously transparent scam. I mean, if everyone KNOWS that this specific hard drive is a lemon, why wouldn't Microsoft opt to handle it the right way?

Ugh, and all I wanted to do was play some goddam baseball.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, they're spending all this money to replace all those bad fucking power cords, but they won't fix your DVD? that's fucking weak.

I feel you bro. If my xbox died, I would be PISSED! I'd actually have to start reading or going outside again! Despite your problems, though, Xbox is still the best. I would pay whatever i had to to get it fixed, or get a new one. I can't get through the day lately without a MechAssault 2 slugfest.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's how Microsoft works.... Reply with quote

TheAngryJew wrote:
Ugh, and all I wanted to do was play some goddam baseball.

I'll send you a bat and ball in the mail first thing Monday morning.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks mang, but that's a PC for you...and that's all the XBOX really is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nick Sievers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a spare PC hard-drive lying around? IIRC some people replace theirs for more space, though this might only be relevant to game piracy. Not quite sure.

I got my Xbox around October 2002, so I guess its only a matter of time before it dies. Fucking Microsoft! I had no idea of this problem.
Daddy Plaid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the drive spinning or completely dead?
Bud of mine had same problem. It spun but read error.
Some help boards suggest a mod chip because of Xbox Live
running todays games aren't compatible with version 1 boxes.
If so, try disabling live.

If not, save 50 or so bucks and buy a samsung off ebay.
http://search.ebay.com/Samsung-SDG-605_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8QQsatitleZSamsungQ20SDG-605Q20

And learn to install here.
http://www.ddconsult.com/blogs/illuminati/archives/000400.html
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's how Microsoft works.... Reply with quote

TheAngryJew wrote:
I mean, if everyone KNOWS that this specific hard drive is a lemon, why wouldn't Microsoft opt to handle it the right way?

Because that would cost them money. Hard drives, period, come with anywhere from a 1-3 year warranty for the most part. It would be financially foolish for them to guarantee anything outside of that.

TiVo did/does the exact same thing. My hard drive just QUIT about a month after the warranty was up. They knew about the problem with specific branded hard drives, but I'd imagine it's just not worth the time or the effort, for them, to do anything about it. Hard drives are cheap. Microsoft (and TiVo) know that people are going to continue to buy their product no matter what.

TiVo had the exact same deal, too. "If you open this box without us, we will NEVER EVER EVER EVERRRRRRRRR support you again!!" And they wanted me to send it to them, with a hundred bucks, or something, to replace my small hard drive as is. Yeah... I said, 'Fuh you guys!' For less than about half of what they wanted to charge me, I replaced the hard drive with more than twice the space of the old one. (They already have pre-formatted drives online just for this sort of thing.) Look at it as an upgrade. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: