eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One of the best video game articles I've ever read....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: One of the best video game articles I've ever read.... Reply with quote

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/games/manifesto.html
Daddy Plaid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed an awesome read!

This part...
Quote:
Exclusive sports licenses. Say goodbye to NFL football anywhere but with EA. That's right, they signed a deal with the NFL saying nobody could make games but them. So every other pro football game, including Sega's, will be back to using fictional teams so get ready to play as the Dallas Zombies with all-star QB Cletus Fuckhat.

y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is not one single reason in the known universe for even one more game where the save point is ten motherfucking minutes away from the boss, forcing me to fight my way down the same hallway each of the 62 attempts it takes me to beat the guy (I'm looking at you, Metroid Prime).

A-fucking-men to that. So far, this article's hitting it on the head.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't really played video games for five years or so (on consoles anyway), but I was shocked at how much of this article (which is awesome, by the way) applied five years ago much as it does now.

Things seldom change, because there's always a large chunk of folks who will buy without reading reviews first. Until they learn to do some research before committing their dollars, we'll always have stupid limitations on games (my most hated being when you have to 'unlock' features that you already paid for when you bought the game. Fuck you, Triple Play, and the Sosa you rode in on).
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the article does raise a good point that even though the next gen games will be prettier with shiny graphics, the character A.I. probably won't improve much. But then, since the consoles haven't even been released yet, maybe we'll be in for a pleasant surprise or two.
CaptainFun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2mckay wrote:
Quote:
There is not one single reason in the known universe for even one more game where the save point is ten motherfucking minutes away from the boss, forcing me to fight my way down the same hallway each of the 62 attempts it takes me to beat the guy (I'm looking at you, Metroid Prime).

A-fucking-men to that. So far, this article's hitting it on the head.

D'oh! I thought he was talking about Devil May Cry 3. Embarassed

But yeah, it's a pretty smart article. The gaming community is starting to wise-up about how great graphics doesn't equal great gameplay. A lot of the games they showed us at E3 looked fantastic, but we didn't learn a lot about gameplay. There were some games there that looked great in respects to gameplay, but many of them were overlooked by game franchises that look great, but in principle are just knock-offs of other games.
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting article. Although the last console I have purchased was the 16-bit Super Nintendo around 1992, I consider his points to be still relevant today. I would also add a few of my own:

-Games that force you to enter a parallel / secret world when the original world was just becoming interesting (examples from my day: Zelda: A Link to the Past or Final Fantasy II, only to mention those).

For computer games, which I still regularly play:

-The cheating A.I., something Sid Meier built a career out of. Consider Civilization III, where another power would immediately know, without espionage, which of my cities had the least defensive troops and would immediately rush for it, even if that meant crossing half my land and that I could not stop them because we had signed a right-of-passage agreement.

-And here's one of the most infuriating games I have played: Tropico, where it's apparently in good taste to play a Caribbean dictator (sometimes it's funny, most often it's not). Furthermore, since you get to set the wages of all workers and the price of all commodities, it would sound like a planned economy that would have them patting your back at the Kremlin, but no, you can suck up to the Americans as much as you want by giving liberty to your citizens. And furthermore, my goods for export would gather dust on docks, even if there was a ship waiting, because no dockworker would show up (even if as many as five were employed there) to load the crates. I would rack up massive deficits as a result and it would plunge my entire economy into chaos. Then I would face wage caps, and inevitably some generals would start a coup. Heh.
Dawn of the Matt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Theft Auto sometimes pisses me off. I haven't played San Andreas for about a week or two after playing it constantly. Mostly because a couple missions.

Yes I like challenging missions and all but when I have to friggin' drive cross country which in real time still takes about 5-7 mins I get pissed off when I die within minutes of getting to my destination.

There is a mission where I'm in San Fierro and I have to tail this reporter to Los Santos and that alone goddamn takes forever and once I get there I tail him only to spook him because he unexpectedly stops because an AI car crashes into him and I'm stuck there. Spook meter flies up and mission failed. Pisses me off.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: