eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Movies that left you baffled
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Movies that left you baffled Reply with quote

You know, there were certain movies that I've seen in my life that just left me wondering what the hell is it that I saw, whether for better or worse, and would take quite a while to get used to them if I liked them (whether thinking about it or watching it a second time), or immediately reject them if I didn't. Certain examples:

Unforgiven
Terminator 2
Wyatt Earp
(which I ended up hating to the bone)
Lost Highway
Angel Heart
The Sixth Sense
12 Angry Men
Battlefield Earth
(which I hate)

Every Terrence Malick movie, and lastly and lately Koyaanisqatsi. That film turned out to be something completely unexpected since I never heard of it and was expecting more of a traditional documentary rather than what was released. This movie really baffled me, but only after really digesting it's silent message did I actually finally got it. The message may be a bit extreme in certain points, but wow, that was quite an original idea. If you thought a movie with 12 men arguing and 2 sets made a great movie, then you ain't seen nothing yet. I guess the approach of "less is more" can be true in certain places.

Anyone ever had similar experience?

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
genji

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a little obvious, but The Life Aquatic. I'm still trying to decide whether I liked it or not. Lost Highway, too, and Eraserhead.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything by Takashi Miike besides Audition. That guy is seriously a WTF filmmaker.
BigFlax

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By baffled you just mean on opinion? Because some of those movies, I don't know what's to be confused about, plot-wise (or even anything else-wise, really). There are certainly movies I've been baffled by in terms of plot and such, but usually I end up not liking them. (Masked and Anonymous, the movie with Bob Dylan, is a good example. Did anyone appearing in this movie have even the first idea what was supposed to be happening?)

As for a movie that I don't know whether I liked or not, a good example is K-PAX. I'm still not sure if I thought it was okay or if it was stupid.
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually both, either in plot or opinion.

At first when I saw Unforgiven, eventhough it was quite a story, I couldn't make anything out of it. It wasn't until I viewed it several times and got a bit more educated when I finally said what a masterpiece that film was. That one was on opinion, and now that I remember, the same thing happened to me when I watched Dances With Wolves for the first time.

Plot? Lost Highway and Wyatt Earp, simply because it was either too complicated or too pathetic to figure out, although Lost highway falls into actually liking it as a bit of a guilty pleasure, although it's still way out there, while Wyatt Earp, I decided that it insulted my intellgience and it was nothing but a giant bore.

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, anyone else has seen that film which was one of the reasons I opened this thread, Koyaanisqatsi? I'd like to hear what you guys think of that movie as well if you seen it.

Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McTiernan's writing/directing debut Nomads and Eye of the Beholder are two of my faves.
CaptainFun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2mckay wrote:
Anything by Takashi Miike besides Audition. That guy is seriously a WTF filmmaker.

I saw Miike's "Izo" a few months back and it confused the ever-living crap out of me. The fact that I saw it without English subtitles didn't help either.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainFun wrote:
y2mckay wrote:

I saw Miike's "Izo" a few months back and it confused the ever-living crap out of me. The fact that I saw it without English subtitles didn't help either.

They don't help. Dear god, they don't help.
Dawn of the Matt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first Miike's Ichi I was getting a grasp on, then like 3/4s the way through and the end just confused the living s outta me.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gozu and Visitor Q were intriguing and sometimes hilarious (and sometimes just plain vile). But plot-wise, they made fuck-all sense to me.
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It might be a little obvious, but The Life Aquatic.

I lu-huved the Life Aquatic. I think I'm becoming a crazy Wes Anderson fan. I mean, he doesn't make movies... he makes pieces of art and every detail, every line of dialogue, ever set piece... just seems to be SO intentional even if I don't always understand what Anderson is, uh, intending (to say)!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
genji

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainFun wrote:
y2mckay wrote:

Awesome. I'm seeing it on Friday. Also, The Happiness of the Katakuris. Genre-bending zombie musical fun. I loved every minute of it, but sure as hell didn't understand it.
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I was just forgetting.

Pink Floyd: The Wall

When I first saw it after I rented it, I had no fucking clue what that thing was all about... until I bought the album.

David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slyder wrote:
BTW, anyone else has seen that film which was one of the reasons I opened this thread, Koyaanisqatsi? I'd like to hear what you guys think of that movie as well if you seen it.

Been a loooooong time since I saw that one, but I caught the third movie in the series, Naqoyqatsi (sp??), when it hit video last year. As I called it in an old review, it felt more like a "museum piece" than a "movie." That is, its abstractness made it feel more like visual art than any sort of documentary. Dug it, though.

Anyway. Asian films are perfect for Confuso-vision. I remember one titled Shark Skin Boy and Peach Hip Girl, which was as impossible to follow as its title. But me likee.

Dave
genji

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Cornelius wrote:
Anyway. Asian films are perfect for Confuso-vision. I remember one titled Shark Skin Boy and Peach Hip Girl, which was as impossible to follow as its title. But me likee.
Dave

I wonder whether that's a cultural thing. I know that there are lots of ideas in Asian languages and cultures that just can't be expressed in English. Would these movies make any more sense in front of a home audience?
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2mckay wrote:
Gozu and Visitor Q were intriguing and sometimes hilarious (and sometimes just plain vile). But plot-wise, they made fuck-all sense to me.

The way I figure it, Gozu (and most of Miike's movies) make a sort of sense if you accept that everything that happens really can happen. Guy just gives you no warning that it's about to get seriously weird.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genji wrote:
I wonder whether that's a cultural thing. I know that there are lots of ideas in Asian languages and cultures that just can't be expressed in English. Would these movies make any more sense in front of a home audience?

Well, you think Time and Tide made any more sense to audience members back east? Doubtful.

Dave
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why do some people think that these movies will make more sense if you're stoned?

They say that all the time about Pink Floyd music, but I don't buy it... or am I missing something?

CaptainFun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all (albeit most) of Miike's films are too confusing. "Visitor Q" (which was awful in my opinion) wasn't too difficult and "Zebraman" (a Miike family film Shocked) was perfectly easy to grasp and, like "Izo", I saw it without subtitles. "Gozu" was a bit too much for me, but "Happiness of the Katakuris" was pretty fun just as long as you give it a few minutes to warm-up.

To gengi, who’s going to see “Izo” this Friday, be forewarned, “Izo” is an avant garde film along the lines of “Pink Floyd: The Wall”, not some sort of ultra-violent chop socky flick as I was originally lead to believe. Granted that it was indeed ultra-violent and was still a rather exceptional film (in my opinion), I still think that it’s only right that you be given fair warning.

Personally, I liked "Pink Floyd: The Wall". Everywhere I go, people blast this film. Why? It's been a while since I've seen it so maybe I should just go back and take another peek at it.

I've also seen some of "Koyaanisqatsi" as well (God, I can't believe how many of these films I've seen). I saw a portion of it in a film art class I took last year. From what I saw it was brilliant.
Thumb the Toad
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slyder wrote:
I wonder why do some people think that these movies will make more sense if you're stoned?

They say that all the time about Pink Floyd music, but I don't buy it... or am I missing something?

You don't need drugs to enjoy Floyd, and you don't need them to make sense of them, either.

Their stuff is easy to understand, though. If you want enigmatic music, check out The Mars Volta.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the Mars Volta's lyrics are pretty much word salad - in English AND Spanish (oh, I'm sure it all means something, but without knowing the context, your guess is as good as mine).

But . . . it fucking ROCKS
genji

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainFun wrote:
To gengi, who’s going to see “Izo” this Friday, be forewarned, “Izo” is an avant garde film along the lines of “Pink Floyd: The Wall”, not some sort of ultra-violent chop socky flick as I was originally lead to believe. Granted that it was indeed ultra-violent and was still a rather exceptional film (in my opinion), I still think that it’s only right that you be given fair warning.

Oh, I pretty much know what to expect from Miike. I'd be disappointed if it was just an "ultra-violent chop socky flick". Thanks for the warning, though.

On another note, I saw a collection of three short films, one of them by Miike, called Three... Extremes last night. Paradoxically, the Miike short, Box was the least screwed up of the three. The Fruit Chan and Park Chan-wook sections were much freakier. Pro-lifers beware!

And what was wrong with TIme and Tide?
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even freakier - I gather Miike's newest film being released in Japan this month is a kids' film. Not a twisted kids' film like I've heard Zebraman is, but straight-up family fun.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumb the Toad wrote:
You don't need drugs to enjoy Floyd, and you don't need them to make sense of them, either.

Exactly. In fact, the symbolism of The Wall (both album and movie) is so in-your-face obvious that it's no wonder it attracts so many teenage types who are sure they've found something like, deep, man. Deep.

That said, I friggin' love the movie.

genji wrote:
And what was wrong with TIme and Tide?

Its story is impossible to follow, at least on a first sitting. Every time I think of the thing, I'm reminded of Roeper's comment on the film, something along the lines of: "is it possible to like a movie without knowing what's going on?"

Me, I didn't dig it as much as others, mainly because the action/excitement wasn't enough to make up for the lack of coherence.

Dave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: