eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Shield

View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: The Shield Reply with quote

So I decided to catch up on this series and rented season one. After two episodes, I added seasons 2, 3, and 4 to my netflix queue. This is one ballsy show, and already one of my top 3 favorite cop shows of all time. I've never seen a show that captures the flavor of L.A. quite like this one, and Chickliss's character is a bad motherfucker in the league of Tony Soprano. Have to put it on hold for a bit to catch up on LOST, but once I'm caught up, I'm diving back into this.
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love The Shield. Now you know why Chicklis won an Emmy and a Golden Globe, and why that show deserves to have more viewers.

Now, can you believe Chicklis was 28 when he played The Commish?

-M

-V
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's by far the best American import that we get over here. Chiklis is equal parts amazing/terrifying/fantastic, and I really hope he can get a part in Hollywood soon that will do him justice.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm so happy that the next season isn't until '06. Gives me plenty of time to catch up on 1-4

And not only is Chiklis fantastic, It's got a solid ensemble cast as well. I've especially enjoyed Dent, Martinez, and Pounder's work here (Pounder's Detective Wyms is probably my second-favorite character on the show).
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, after Vic I'd say Dutch is my favourite character.
I-K

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More violent concurring going on over here... remarkable that a production team would have the nerve to write a show so "grey", as Mrs IK puts it; as soon as you've developed a liking for a character, they turn around and do something low, and as soon as you've made up your mind another character is a piece of shit, they go and redeem themselves just a smidge... one hell of a moving target, that.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I-K wrote:
More violent concurring going on over here... remarkable that a production team would have the nerve to write a show so "grey", as Mrs IK puts it; as soon as you've developed a liking for a character, they turn around and do something low, and as soon as you've made up your mind another character is a piece of shit, they go and redeem themselves just a smidge... one hell of a moving target, that.

Yeah, there's definitely an appeal, and a sense of intrigue, surrounding the character's moral ambiguity. I kind of see Vic Mackey as the flip side of Tony Soprano, and I'm sure that the show's creators took a cue from the success of The Sopranos. Both shows deal with a lot of stuff that the average generic cop show or mob movie wouldn't bother with - the politics and backroom deals, the family squabbles, etc.
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add me to the list of The Shield fanatics.

The show kicks all ass, although they still need a bit of reworking, but man it's just great. Chicklis as Vic Mackey is just awesome.

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
Dawn of the Matt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually got into the shield right when the third season started. My cousin gave me the first season and told me to watch it and if I didn't he shall dis-own me. So I sat down and watched the first season in I think a day (winter break).

The cool thing about the Shield it mixes equal parts of great story and drama with equal parts of character. Not many shows can do that.

So in turn thanks, Mr. Pyzik.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hands down favorite for this show is Dutch (owning only season 1 and planning a season 2 and 3 purchase at some point).

This is a performance that unfortunately tends to fall by the wayside with a big Alpha Male performance on the Vic Mackey character, which, while captivating appeals less to me than the layered, riveting look at this sad sack, ambitious for all the wrong reasons yet honest character- the close of the first season where Dutch takes down the serial killer at great personal cost to himself, then going in the next day and realizing the 15 minutes are up and there are new cases to cover, that's some great TV right there- in fact is some of the finest I have ever beheld.
Luke Pyzik
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, cuz -

Now all you have to do in return is catch up on the greatest cop show ever, period, end of discussion - THE WIRE. Don't make me threaten to disown you again.

Any "Sheild" fans that are not watching "The Wire" are damn fools. Forget cop shows, this may be the best television to ever grace the airwaves. "Sheild" fans, especially, will love it. Seasons 1 and 2 are on DVD. There is not a better way to spend your money. Trust me.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke Pyzik wrote:
No problem, cuz -

Now all you have to do in return is catch up on the greatest cop show ever, period, end of discussion - THE WIRE. Don't make me threaten to disown you again.

Any "Sheild" fans that are not watching "The Wire" are damn fools. Forget cop shows, this may be the best television to ever grace the airwaves. "Sheild" fans, especially, will love it. Seasons 1 and 2 are on DVD. There is not a better way to spend your money. Trust me.

Hmm. maybe I'll netflix the first season. I remember catching fifteen minutes of the first episode of The Wire and thinking it was badly overacted and full of cop show cliches - but 15 minutes isn't exactly a fair basis for criticism.
Luke Pyzik
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, McKay, knowing your taste - you will LOVE it. Just pop the first disk in your queue. I promise you the rest will not be far behind.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Deal. Hell, what's one more TV show to catch up on Very Happy
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- the close of the first season where Dutch takes down the serial killer at great personal cost to himself, then going in the next day and realizing the 15 minutes are up and there are new cases to cover, that's some great TV right there- in fact is some of the finest I have ever beheld.

Oh, absolutely. I think he's one of the few supporting characters in any television show that could probably do a 'Frasier' and carry his own show. Is it the second series where he has the moment with the cat? I saw that and just thought 'yikes'. It haunted me for hours.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm probably gonna drop by DeepDiscountDVD one of these days and pick up the Shield 2nd Season- its been on my to do list for some time, and I just won't watch the show on regular TV- I had so much fun just popping in one disc after another when I bought the 1st season- I want this thing commercial free and ready to go- My wife has been begging me to just netflix it- but now she's contemplating just buying the 1st season of Lost so she can analyze all the episodes, so that's the end of her argument (she's just annoyed cuz she won't watch the Shield whereas I will watch Lost).

But yes, I am looking forward to seeing how the characters' stories progress. A friend of mine had mentioned that very same "Cat" scene with Dutch- I told her I hadn't seen it yet, but looking very forward to it- like I said, its a great performance from Chiklis, but again, everybody loves an Alpha character- I think its the ensemble as a whole, and especially the perspective from the not so assertive and much more insecure characters that keeps the show honest.
Dawn of the Matt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cat was good, but the 3rd season has the most appalling, shocking moment in the whole series.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP Bartley wrote:
Quote:
- the close of the first season where Dutch takes down the serial killer at great personal cost to himself, then going in the next day and realizing the 15 minutes are up and there are new cases to cover, that's some great TV right there- in fact is some of the finest I have ever beheld.

Oh, absolutely. I think he's one of the few supporting characters in any television show that could probably do a 'Frasier' and carry his own show. Is it the second series where he has the moment with the cat? I saw that and just thought 'yikes'. It haunted me for hours.

Same here, the whole thing with the cat was just shocking.

But that doesn't compare to Aceveda's famous "head" scene.

THAT was shocking because I did not expect it in any way.

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
Dawn of the Matt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slyder wrote:
MP Bartley wrote:
Quote:

Same here, the whole thing with the cat was just shocking.

But that doesn't compare to Aceveda's famous "head" scene.

THAT was shocking because I did not expect it in any way.

Yeah I avoided saying the specific scene that topped the cat because not everyone has seen the 3rd season yet. So the shock you had because you didn't expect it will not be experienced by some people that frequent this board and have yet to see the 3rd season.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shield is the only TV drama I watch - too bad it's ending with Season 7.
smrtpants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Nevermind A&E... Reply with quote

yeahsobut doesn't Chicklis remind you of the A&W (as in Chubby Chicklis, I mean Chicken) version of Bruce Willis...at a quick glance that is.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> TV Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: