eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GRAW

View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: GRAW Reply with quote

That's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter Very Happy

IGN gave it a 9.2, and apparently it is the shit. They're saying it's the best looking shooter on the 360 so far (even over Call of Duty 2, and that game is GORGEOUS). My copy should be showing up in the mail in a couple of days, so I'll leave my first impressions here later for anyone who cares.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, beat this game last night.

PROS:

Gorgeous graphics. I mean stunning. Probably the most realistic-looking game on the 360 yet. It's all set in and around Mexico city, and having lived there for a couple of years, I can tell you that it's a pretty amazing-looking recreation. There's lots of cool little gadgetry, like combined night/thermal vision, a heads up visor display that tracks targets, etc. etc. Overall, a fun third person shooter with decent strategy and squad command elements.

CONS:

The campaign is really short - I think I beat it in about 10 hours. And the thing that pisses me off the most is that you don't get to re-do the campaign in "Lone Wolf" mode with the camera gun that lets you shoot around corners - that was my favorite part of the last Ghost Recon game and I'm rather fucking annoyed that they took it out Evil or Very Mad Also, they have a "cover" system where if you run up to a wall or car or other obstacle, your character automatically takes cover up against it - only it's a bit twitchy. sometimes you can't get stuck to your cover when you want to, or keep getting unstuck and inadvertently moving out into the open. Also, I hated where the "crouch/stand/go prone" switch was - kept standing up when I meant to lay down and vice-versa. But after several hours of play, I learned to work it with a little more finesse. Also, there was one very annoying glitch on one level where even though I'd killed everything in sight, it wouldn't let me advance to the next area. I can't believe they released it with that big of a glitch, but at least rebooting and restoring the last checkpoint helps you get around it.

Haven't really tried the on-line part yet, but I understand you have limited functionality in it (no "cover stick" mode, crappy night vision, no HUD target markers, etc. etc.)

Final grade - ****. I'd probably buy it when it hits the basement bin just because it's so damn gorgeous and is a lot of fun most of the time. But the sometimes clunky controls, the aforementioned glitch, the short campaign, and the lack of any Lone Wolf replay mode means this baby definitely isn't worth full price. Here's a tip, Ubisoft - next time you improve on something, don't make part of that improvement at the expense of the best elements of the previous game!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: