eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Event Horizon in a Non-Eventful DVD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Event Horizon in a Non-Eventful DVD Reply with quote

Damnit!

Most of us have read that Event Horizon had about 30 minutes cut out from it for its U.S. release, and that the British cut retained these 30 minutes. OK, fine, the first DVD release of it from Paramount Home Video was extras-free -- hell, it doesn't even have an anamorphic transfer! -- but all was fine when I read of a special-feature edition due out in the future. Saw it in the store yesterday, flipped to the back, and, GOSH DAMNIT, that 30 minutes -- which detailed what was actually behind that dark horizon the first ship had been to -- isn't there!

Here's that rare film that managed to scare the living daylights out of me, and Pimple-Dick Paramount can't score us the longer version! I'm, in case you haven't surmised by now, extremely pissed. Really, what the fuck is the true benefit of DVD extras if stuff like this isn't included in the special edition!? I don't give a damn if it's got all these making-of featurettes and interviews. I could care fucking less! About as idiotic as Anchor Bay advertising the uncut version of 1983's Bad Boys when it's the same damn version I saw on cable, with a photo on the back of the box from a scene that isn't on the DVD!

darkofnight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Event Horizon in a Non-Eventful DVD Reply with quote

Jack Sommersby wrote:
Damnit!

Most of us have read that Event Horizon had about 30 minutes cut out from it for its U.S. release, and that the British cut retained these 30 minutes. OK, fine, the first DVD release of it from Paramount Home Video was extras-free -- hell, it doesn't even have an anamorphic transfer! -- but all was fine when I read of a special-feature edition due out in the future. Saw it in the store yesterday, flipped to the back, and, GOSH DAMNIT, that 30 minutes -- which detailed what was actually behind that dark horizon the first ship had been to -- isn't there!

According to the featurettes on the new DVD, the British cut only retained a few of the deleted scenes in the American version and not the full thirty minutes. That was apparently lost after post-production, so there's a chance we may never get to see it...if that info's on the up and up.

I really like the film as is though, and I'm not too disappointed in not seeing that extra footage. Plus, I really like that what's beyond the dark horizon isn't fully revealed to us. That might have spoiled the mystery, and I really like that the film only shows parts of it through flash edits (by the way, freeze frame those flash edits and you'll find some truly messed up imagery...incredibly violent).

That being said, the featurettes also state that the reason for the negative audience reaction was actually because they were becoming way too uncomfortable during the movie. It was so violent and grim, apparently, that people began to forget they were actually watching a film. If that's to be believed, I am a little disappointed that I'm not going to see the full on version that promises to really scare me into a nervous breakdown. Still, I am very satisfied with the film as is. Plus, I knew the footage wasn't going to be included way back before the DVD was released, so at least I knew what I was buying.

As for the featurettes themselves, I found them really interesting. Anderson especially comes off as a guy who knows just what's right and wrong with the movie (which doesn't explain the sheer badness of Soldier, Resident Evil, and AVP, but whatever). I would recommend a rental to see the featurettes, because you might find them interesting.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to read something from ya, my man.

Yes, I agree that a good deal of unnerving dread is conjured up with us not seeing what's beyond the dark horizon, where our imaginations go to work and perhaps make it a lot more horrifying. But, still, with 30 whole miutes taken out, I do indeed want to see what they were about. And I did freeze-frame the scene you're talking about, and all I really noticed was some violent anal-raping. If that's all the characters could do after being exposed to this quintessential evil, then, hey, I'd hate to see what the squeal-like-a-pig hicks in Deliverance would do when exposed to the same experience!

The DVD is on sale for $9.99 at Best Buy, and I'll probably buy it tomorrow being that it does boast an anamorphic transfer, and I have to go out there anyway to buy current Norton Anti-Virus for my new laptop -- a Sony, by the way! I haven't watched the film since I started on my medication, so who knows how frightened and tripped-out I'll get this time!
darkofnight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Sommersby wrote:
And I did freeze-frame the scene you're talking about, and all I really noticed was some violent anal-raping. If that's all the characters could do after being exposed to this quintessential evil, then, hey, I'd hate to see what the squeal-like-a-pig hicks in Deliverance would do when exposed to the same experience!

Oh, I wasn't talking about the scene where they find the visual journal with the crew going all Deliverance crazy. I meant the final series of flash edits when Dr. Weir shows Miller what's beyond the dark horizon right before Miller blows up the Event Horizon. Although now that I think about it, examining those shots in detail would probably take away the visceral impact.

And I also admit to really wanting to see what's actually beyond said dark horizon. Still, knowing Anderson's track record concerning the monsters he actually does show on screen in his other movies, I'm glad he took the subtle road on this one.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. I go and buy the special edition anyway, hunker down on my bed to watch it, and my frigging A/C unit conks out when it was 103 outside, so I got to watch it in a pissed-off mood sweating down my sheets. Better have the A/C fixed when I get back, for tonight's the special-edition disc of it. Sheesh, I wish I was back in Montana.
memoryleak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Still eventful Reply with quote

Maybe it's just me, but those missing 30 minutes would have to go a l-o-n-g way to changing my mind about "Event Horizon", which IMHO is one of only a few movies where I was tempted to go back to the box office and ask for a refund!.
CharlesTatum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I thought it was just a bloody remake of "2010."
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strange: First time I saw it, I though it was about average, nothing more. Watched it again and thought it exceptionally creepy. Watched the newly-released DVD and thought it below average.

What a see-saw of opinion this film brings out of me. I think the key is to watch it by yourself with all the lights out.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> DVD Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: