eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

like it or not, you know you have an opinion!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 2630
Location: austin, tx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: like it or not, you know you have an opinion! Reply with quote

So, I thought I'd post my opinion of the Paris Hilton ordeal and hopefully spark a little debate? These boards are getting lame, folks! Hehe.

Anyways, what do you think!?!!?
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/laurjane
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5525
Location: Philadelphia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already know what I think: I'm pleased to see that the fucked-up nature of the judicial system sometimes DOES apply to the rich and famous.

You'll just dismiss my opinions because I don't like the girl, but it really is more than that. Had you or I been arrested for the same thing, I don't think we'd be sent home after three days. I really don't.
_________________
Scott Weinberg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 2630
Location: austin, tx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean you don't think?!?! It's a FACT that she got a heavier sentence than almost every other person who's committed a similar offense: when people DO get that 20 something jail sentence, the sheriff or whoever will typically turn them right back around -- that's almost ALWAYS how it works. It doesn't matter what you think you think! Look at the actual reality.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/laurjane
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
UDM
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 592
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"When people DO get that 20 something jail sentence, the sheriff or whoever will typically turn them right back around -- that's almost ALWAYS how it works"

Yes, but judges have bitching for years about that practice, which has more to do with overcrowding at jails than the way the system is supposed to work. If you're sentenced to 45 days in jail, how is it excessive and unfair to have to serve the full 45?

I will admit to being curious as to the nature of this "medical condition" that almost got PH off early. I thought maybe a severe herpes outbreak (which can be brought on by stress), but apparently the prison psychiatrists are claiming it's a mental problem. One could say that she's just acting...except for the plain fact that she can't act.

UDM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ben
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 08 Jul 2002
Posts: 1427
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laura wrote:
What do you mean you don't think?!?! It's a FACT that she got a heavier sentence than almost every other person who's committed a similar offense: when people DO get that 20 something jail sentence, the sheriff or whoever will typically turn them right back around -- that's almost ALWAYS how it works. It doesn't matter what you think you think! Look at the actual reality.


do you have some statistics to back that up?
_________________
--b
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 30 Jul 2002
Posts: 466
Location: Northside!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thing. She was drinking and driving. Then drove with a suspended license, while she was on probation for the "DUI-reckless driving" charge. She had the chance to go to a alcohol education class after she got the DUI, she didn't. (That would have looked great for her.) Then she showed up late at her court hearing when she got sentenced to the forty five days. Who the hell shows up late to court when you could possibly get sentenced to jail? If I was a judge, that would piss me off enough to send someone to jail.

UDM, it wasn't a "prison psychiatrist" that claimed she had a mental problem, it was her own bought and paid for psychatrist. Rolling Eyes (At least it was the first time, when she got out early.) And a lot of places were reporting that she had a huge herpes outbreak because she wasn't taking her medication and didn't bring it to jail. *snicker* TMZ said this, "UPDATE: Law enforcement sources have just told TMZ the County Jail medical team made the final decision to spring Paris based on Dr. Sophy's psychological evaluation. And we're told, Sheriff Lee Baca gave the final approval." That was all over the news on Friday, too.

The real fun part was that supposedly her mother was overheard saying, "I can't believe the money we spent on this!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Posts: 1818
Location: Sunderland, England

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know why she was pictured crying in the back of the squad car? Not because she was going back to jail, but because she was pictured in sweats.

She needs to go to jail for the full 45 days. Not because she's a vacuous cunt who has had everything bought and paid for, but because she has "fans". (Quite why she has fans I'm not sure. "Yeah, she's like um, totally, rich, and never had to work, and um, has, um had everything paid for in life. And she like totally fucked this guy on video!". It makes me sad that I'm bringing a child into the world where this vile waste of blood and tissue has been elevated into a demi-god).

And these fans need to realise that, no, you cannot escape the law because you wear fashionable shoes for a living, and mummy and daddy has paid for everything you've ever wanted. It could be her, Lohan, Spears whoever - they commited a crime, they serve the punishment for that crime like everyone else should do.
_________________
"We hate the French! We fight wars against the French! Did all those men die in vain on the fields of Agincourt? Was the man who burned Joan of Arc just wasting good matches?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 30 Jul 2002
Posts: 466
Location: Northside!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP Bartley wrote:
You know why she was pictured crying in the back of the squad car?


I know, I know! Pick me, pick me!

Because it was FUNNY!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 19 May 2006
Posts: 2024

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP Bartley wrote:
She needs to go to jail for the full 45 days. Not because she's a vacuous cunt who has had everything bought and paid for


Why not because she's a vacuous cunt who has had everything bought and paid for?

Her kind will be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes...
_________________
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams.

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 2630
Location: austin, tx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh!

1. First off, this is not a debate about whether she *should* go to jail for a probation related to drunk driving charge and whether or not the system *should* work the way it works currently. That's completely irrelevant. The debate is whether or not she was given favorable treatment... which is not true.
2. And no, she shouldn't go to jail because she's a cunt or because she has fans or because she doesn't have fans. That's NOT the way the system should ever work.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/laurjane
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 19 May 2006
Posts: 2024

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone.

- Bill Murray, Rushmore

Applies to rich girls as well.

Fuck 'em. Put all their entitled asses in jail. Failing that, make 'em work two jobs and still be barely able to afford a motel room month to month.

I don't give a shit if Hilton got "harsher" treatment because she's rich and famous. It's great entertainment. Get her in the crosshairs and take her down.
_________________
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams.

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 2630
Location: austin, tx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing how republican everyone becomes when they're jealous of another person's wealth and luxuries. What did Paris Hilton do to you? What, you want her to suffer because she has a big environmental footprint? Pfft. I'm not a fan of her, but I hope to god I don't hate people just for the fuck of it. It really brings out the worst in people when they're so emotional and reactionary in a situation like this.

But anyways, still, it DOESN'T MATTER if you give a shit. Stop SAYING that she got special treatment. IT IS A FALSE STATEMENT. Oh my fucking lord.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/laurjane
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 19 May 2006
Posts: 2024

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you asked for everyone's opinion. I gave mine. You're welcome.
_________________
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams.

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 19 May 2006
Posts: 2024

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave hasn't weighed in yet, so I'll do it for him. From his blog:



BWAHAHAHAHA. Cornelius for the WIN.

If laughing raucously at Paris Hilton's tears makes me a bad person, I don't want to be a good person.
_________________
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams.

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 2630
Location: austin, tx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly...
my...
point...

Just because it's a sensational/funny idea, doesn't mean it has any validity at all! Having an opinion is different than choosing to be intellectually dishonest because it's convenient.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/laurjane
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MrTinkles
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 675
Location: Portland

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben wrote:
laura wrote:
What do you mean you don't think?!?! It's a FACT that she got a heavier sentence than almost every other person who's committed a similar offense: when people DO get that 20 something jail sentence, the sheriff or whoever will typically turn them right back around -- that's almost ALWAYS how it works. It doesn't matter what you think you think! Look at the actual reality.


do you have some statistics to back that up?



Laura, sweetie, why don't you stop yelling at people for expressing their opinions (which you solicited) and answer this very valid question from Ben?

Love,
Eric
_________________
Film reviews, "Snide Remarks," and assorted merriment: EricDSnider.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 2630
Location: austin, tx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see that question, must have scrolled over it. And sure.

And, I'm not yelling at people, it's just no one's addressing the actual debate honestly. They're just saying they hate Paris Hilton. It's remarkable to me.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/laurjane
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 2630
Location: austin, tx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a nice article, probably the only one that actually exhibits real reporting and gives context to Hilton's case... it illuminates some of this: http://www.latimes.com/wireless/avantgo/la-me-paris9jun09,0,6799845.story

So, yeah, the Sheriff stepped out of bounds, like he had in the past repeatedly. So if he gave Hilton special treatment, that means he gave every other inmate special treatment. Wtf, guys?


Quote:

The questions have loomed large over the Los Angeles County justice system for years as judges watched in frustration as the sheriff slashed the sentences they handed down, often by 90%, to alleviate chronic overcrowding in his jails.

Baca on Thursday allowed Hilton who he had promised would serve 23 days in jail to go home to West Hollywood to finish her time under house arrest after serving just three days behind bars for repeatedly violating probation.

He cited an undisclosed medical condition as the reason to allow the hotel heiress to switch from a tiny cell to home detention and electronic monitoring, noting that she had served the 10% of her sentence currently being served by most female inmates in the county.

But Friday, an irritated Judge Michael T. Sauer ordered Hilton back to court and said he alone had the power to decide how her sentence was served. Sauer criticized the Sheriff's Department for letting Hilton out without his permission and remanded the 26-year-old multimillionaire who cried throughout the hearing back to jail.

As she was led out a side door by deputies, Hilton twisted back toward her parents. "Mom, Mom!" she cried. "It's not right!"

In sending Hilton back to jail, Sauer appears to be the first judge to publicly challenge Baca's authority to release inmates from jail short of their full court sentences.

Legal experts said Friday that the clash could have wide legal consequences.

"For decades, where [inmates] were housed and how they were housed was up to the Sheriff's Department," said Stan Goldman, a professor of criminal law and procedure at Loyola Law School. "Now that all may change, thanks to, of all people, Paris Hilton."

Baca defended his decision to let Hilton leave jail and said he was concerned about how Sauer's order if copied by other judges would affect the jail system.

"This has the strong potential to set up what will become an untenable precedent because of overcrowding in jail and the lack of adequate housing," Baca said in an interview.

In the last five years, the Sheriff's Department has released more than 200,000 inmates early, including some who ended up committing murders and other serious crimes when they otherwise would have been behind bars.

The releases were possible because of a nearly 20-year-old federal court order allowing the Los Angeles County sheriff to alleviate overcrowding by letting county offenders go home early.

A Times investigation found that many of those released early since 2002 had felony convictions and a history of violence and gang activity. Sixteen men released early were later charged with committing murders when they should have still been behind bars, and at least seven have been convicted in those slayings.

Behind closed doors, many judges have complained that the releases have circumvented the justice system essentially giving an elected sheriff the power to re-sentence offenders in violation of the constitutional separation of power. But few have been willing to speak publicly, and no one has challenged Baca on legal grounds.

On Friday, prosecutors argued that Baca overstepped his authority by releasing Hilton to home detention when Sauer had clearly ordered that she serve her sentence in jail.


And if you read on... it begs the question: why were the judge and the rest of us SO ENRAGED that Paris was sent back home, when in fact convicted felons were sent home early by the same sheriff before with absolutely no conflict with the court?!? Instead of using the opportunity to truly examine the system, we instead toy with the myth that she was given special treatment with her mansion arrest because it's entertaining for us.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/laurjane
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 2630
Location: austin, tx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add: if I wasn't yelling at people right now, this thread would be super boring.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/laurjane
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 19 May 2006
Posts: 2024

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The judge was right. The sheriff was wrong.

The sheriff was wrong all the other times, but there weren't a hundred camera crews covering those other inmates' early releases. The judge is making an example of the sheriff, not Hilton.

Though let's not pretend house arrest for everyone else is the same as house arrest for Paris Hilton. Most other people under house arrest don't have servants to go out and fetch shit for them. The judge was probably rightly pissed not only that his sentence was ignored but that a house arrest for Paris Hilton isn't really punishment.
_________________
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams.

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 2630
Location: austin, tx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, she got the typical treatment, not special treatment. House arrest isn't determined by the square footage of your house. And considering she drove on a suspended license and is spending more of a percent of her sentence than someone who's committed a felon, then she most definitely did not get favorable treatment.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/laurjane
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Danielle Ophelia



Joined: 28 Jul 2002
Posts: 148
Location: ...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this whole mess out of my system this morning, I did.

http://users.livejournal.com/__needfulthing/70905.html?mode=reply
_________________
Give me all your 80s music and no one gets hurt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 30 Nov 2004
Posts: 3401
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: special treatment. Remember that before she even went to/got out of/went back to jail, she was promised a cell in a "special" area reserved for celebrities, politicians, cops, etc. The idea is to separate anyone that could cause a commotion within the general prison population.

I repeat: This prison has a special celeb ward. Which means not only is it designed for special treatment, but it's a common enough occurrence that they have a permanent wing.

SPECIAL. FUCKING. TREATMENT.

And if you're bitching about how her sentence is heavier/lighter/whatever than others, I don't see the point. Nothing wrong with actually finding a punishment worthy of the crime, even if it doesn't match up with unfair breezy sentences handed down to others before. People get off easy for their tenth DUI, but does that make it right? The Sheriff lets everyone out early, does that make it worth arguing when he gets caught and has to actually do his job for once? Rob's right: the cameras only let everyone see a broken system, and if poor Paris has to be the first one to fix it, fine by me.

Finally - stole this from a friend's blog, which is much better than my own joke:

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Danielle Ophelia



Joined: 28 Jul 2002
Posts: 148
Location: ...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Cornelius wrote:
I repeat: This prison has a special celeb ward. Which means not only is it designed for special treatment, but it's a common enough occurrence that they have a permanent wing.


Precisely. Is it any wonder they don't straighten up and fly right? Bottom line: this crotch, like untold numbers before her, needs to be humbled.
_________________
Give me all your 80s music and no one gets hurt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 2630
Location: austin, tx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, yeah, sitting in a cell ALL BY YOURSELF for 23 hours out of the day really is so incredibly awesome. Special, maybe? Necessary, yes.

I'm not BITCHING about her treatment being harsher, I'm BITCHING that you and others are not actually looking at the reality when you say her sentence and her getting out of jail was because she was treated favorably... BECAUSE ITS NOT CORRECT. For the one millionth fucking time!!! God, people, listen to what I SAY. Argh. And you wonder why I yell.

I TOTALLY AGREE that this should highlight the real problem with the judicial system, but all you guys are doing is bashing Paris, which is not the same thing as bashing the judicial system at all. In fact, it completely hinders the real debate from ever happening.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/laurjane
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group