eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

like it or not, you know you have an opinion!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: like it or not, you know you have an opinion! Reply with quote

laura wrote:
So, I thought I'd post my opinion of the Paris Hilton ordeal and hopefully spark a little debate?

You sparked debate. Some of it didn't go the way you apparently wanted it to. You started lecturing everyone about what we were supposed to address. That's when we started to rebel. You came off more and more shrill and hurt, and some of us then enjoyed needling you all the more because of it. Especially since the original impetus was goddamn Paris Hilton.

This is the Bitchslap forum, man. We all burn smoking holes around each other and laugh at ourselves and each other. If that's changed, I didn't get the memo. Frankly, if you're gonna have that little of a sense of humor about yourself and be all like "NOW CHILDREN, LET'S STAY ON TOPIC," maybe this forum ain't for you. Just saying.

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still not get it? We didn't have to stay on topic. But when I say one thing, why jump down my throat and assume I have an opinion I never once stated? I said a, b, c, and you guys said STOP SAYING D. That means you weren't listening or taking anything I said seriously at all (at least not until I started to get frustrated and first had to repeat myself), which in my book is rude. And if me thinking that is rude = me taking things personally, then yeah things have changed around here.

Plus, let's just say I'm being sensitive. So? If you can tell I'm taking things personally, why persist? Didn't think that was how people who I've talked with for years would be.

I think it's rude to ignore what someone's saying. So yeah, I'm surprised. But fuck it, I doubt anyone will care if I'm on these boards anyways. That seems to be the opinion.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, who jumped down whose throat first?

First three posts in the thread:

You: Let's get a debate going, these boards are getting lame.

Scott: You already know what I think, etc. [not attacking Laura's view, just stating his own]

You: What do you mean you don't think?!?! ... It doesn't matter what you think you think!

Yeah, that's not rude.

You set the tone early. Everyone else responded in kind. Deal with it.

----------
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. I was attacking the logic of his argument. I wasn't ignoring him and saying PARIS IS GREAT SHE SHOULD BE FREED.

It DOESN'T matter what a person thinks is fair... the question is: what was the sheriff's routine? Not what you guess the sheriff's routine would be. That's not a personal attack.
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I went back and read this thread. And basically I've just been trying to explain my argument over and over and over again and to no avail really. Mostly I just got blasted. I think you guys all took your hatred of Paris Hilton out on me. So thanks a lot. Much appreciated.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's everyone just chill the fuck out and have some chips. Everybody here still loves everybody else. Now hug it out, bitch.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And yes, I think when someone hates someone they don't even know who's done absolutely nothing to them personally to the point where they want them to suffer, that must stem from some kind of jealousy. That's just my opinion. Jealous of Paris and her STDs? No. Jealous of the fact that she's richer than you and gets to do whatever the fuck she wants? Maybe

Yeah, we all hate that George Clooney too.

Laura, 1) well done for creating an animated thread that has livened the boards up of late, and 2) well done for sticking to your guns. Takes a lot to do that.

But this?
Quote:
I think it's rude to ignore what someone's saying. So yeah, I'm surprised. But fuck it, I doubt anyone will care if I'm on these boards anyways. That seems to be the opinion.

C'mon. Go back and read the thread on your graduation or the problems with your sister or the situation with your dad - then tell us no-one cares about whether you're on these boards or not.
Danielle Ophelia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Cornelius wrote:
Now hug it out, bitch.

Goddamn it, you took the words right out of my mouth. Razz

laura: It's not unusual to get your ass cut off and handed to you by this forum. If it's any consolation, things are pretty equal-opportunity around here--next week we'll be giving someone else and their thread a hard time, and you'll be welcome to join in. Your best defense, I find, is to suck it up and not take it personally. Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. 'K?
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I fucking took it personally. I'm not sure how else I could've taken it. I'm not an oversensitive person, I've been here since 2004, I know how things work around here. I'm the 7th top poster.

I was perfectly reasonable the whole time but kept on getting yelled at because people hate Paris Hilton! And then when I felt it necessary to point this out, I'm told to "deal with it." Well, whatever. I dislike a lot of things. And one of those things is being patronized.

I think it's really funny people are telling me how to interact on this site. I've met more efilmcritic people face to face than most people on this very thread!

Grr. Want me to suck it up? Fine. Go gang up on someone else now.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Laura, I'm still searching for statistics on how the Sheriff deals with his DUI's based on your theory, which I feel does have merit if the evidence bears up- I never said you didn't have a point, actually never addressed your argument all that specifically anyway, save for your comments about the sluggishness of the forum. Unfortunately its easier to find stated law than practice of the law in specific systems. My point was that the sherriff does have his celebrity constituents to keep in mind for his elected post, and when they see he takes care of their own, they're liable to throw votes his way- but this still doesn't prove or disprove your theory unless we can get numbers on how many norms get the same sentence times as celebs.

Without that we're stuck at square one. But my additions weren't aimed at you in vitriol (and the waaaaah was for Paris though I still posit that seeing your head explode a la Scanners would be cool Wink though like Daffy Duck, its a trick you could only do once ).

But I did take offense at your forum bashing- and my point stands- with everybody doing their own thing off on Myspace, YouTube, etc., not many folks spend quality time on the forums anymore, and why should they when they can hold court in their little e-realms. I've noticed the drop in participation, but we're far from dead. I've even seen a few threads resurrected that I always enjoy speaking on- but when you discount all that with a few curt slams on the overall community here as the Queen of All Things Interesting, for some reason or another that gets me steamed- I've got no plants to start my own little internet kingdom so here's where I do my talkin', even if its not met with tons of response.

Welcome back Danielle- you were here prior to my arrival, but I did some looking back on your history, and sure enough those were some exciting forum times- kin we keep her guys? Can we? Pleeeeease?

Here you go Laura, my peace offering from my Saturday trip to the Bronx Zoo- my buddy the Red Panda loves you:

Hello Laura! Pull up a branch and we can share some tasty bamboo!

Mr. Congo Otter also loves you!

Yeh, but I still think Paris is a gangrenous pustule on the ass of humanity! Got any fish?

Last edited by Kand El on Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's the thing Kand... people have already decided she got celebrity treatment. Where's the proof for that? Sheriff says no in all reports. If I knew how to track down the statistics to back him up, I would. But people have already decided. For no real reason.

And I don't know what the picture is.
Danielle Ophelia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laura wrote:
Well, I fucking took it personally. I'm not sure how else I could've taken it. I'm not an oversensitive person, I've been here since 2004, I know how things work around here. I'm the 7th top poster.

I was perfectly reasonable the whole time but kept on getting yelled at because people hate Paris Hilton! And then when I felt it necessary to point this out, I'm told to "deal with it." Well, whatever. I dislike a lot of things. And one of those things is being patronized.

I think it's really funny people are telling me how to interact on this site. I've met more efilmcritic people face to face than most people on this very thread!

Grr. Want me to suck it up? Fine. Go gang up on someone else now.

Holy sludge dogs. And here I thought I was being nice.

Kand El: Pleasure's all mine. Unfortunately, I don't have the energy for histrionics or meldorama anymore. Chalk it up to closing in on the big 3-0.

Last edited by Danielle Ophelia on Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check again- should show up.

Anyhow, yes, of course people think she got special treatment- its par for her course. I can only comment on me, and I say your claim has merit, but would be better served if there were some numbers on how many folks visiting that particular establishment get similar sentences- I'm not blaming you for not finding the data- I can't find the data.
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Daniella, I'm just a little sour on this thread by now.

And, I do, want some sushi?
Danielle Ophelia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laura wrote:
Sorry Daniella, I'm just a little sour on this thread by now.

And, I do, want some sushi?

Hey, it's cool.

I could do with a bacon cheeseburger myself. Or a big sloppy chimichanga with enough cheese to alarm Wisconsin, and hot salsa...
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laura wrote:
I was perfectly reasonable the whole time but kept on getting yelled at because people hate Paris Hilton!

No. You were the one doing the yelling, and some of us were doing hate-Paris riffs because it's a Paris Hilton thread. Nobody was yelling at you, so please, have a tall glass of get-over-it.

laura wrote:
And then when I felt it necessary to point this out, I'm told to "deal with it." Well, whatever. I dislike a lot of things. And one of those things is being patronized.

"It doesn't matter what you think you think" isn't patronizing?

laura wrote:
I think it's really funny people are telling me how to interact on this site.

Maybe because you're being a drama queen. Nobody else seems to want to say it, so I guess I will. It's all, "Go look at my blog! Debate what I wrote in my blog to make the forum less lame! And I'll yell at you if you disagree! AND I'LL YELL LOUDER IF YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT WHAT I WANT TO TALK ABOUT!"

It's not One-on-One Debate With Laura it's a fucking forum. People are going to go off on sidetracks, and talk about hating Paris Hilton because pretty much everyone does hate her, and the discussion isn't always going to be about you you you. Jesus.

----------
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, Rob,

I wasn't yelling at people, I was requesting that people listen to what I say in caps. Oh dear lord, how DRAMATIC!

People can disagree with me if they want and they can talk about whatever they want. Go back to my blog and read the comments... people disagreed with me on the same points you guys did. Did I get offended? No. Cuz they weren't blasting Paris via me.

Once again: when I say isn't that the sheriff's procedure, etc, an appropriate response wouldn't be: PARIS SHOULD GO TO JAIL, DON'T YOU KNOW, LAURA, SHE GOT A DUI BEFORE?!?!? It doesn't make SENSE!

And no, it wasn't patronizing. Just ask Scott, he wasn't the least bit offended and we had talked about it on AIM beforehand, so he knew exactly what I meant. Apparently you still don't <--- now THAT'S patronizing.

But anyways, I'll get over whatever I want to get over whenever I damn well feel like it. I don't know you, you don't know me. Let's keep it like that I think!

Last edited by laura on Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MrTinkles
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laura wrote:
Wow, no one's ever turned against me like this before. Not even Ozzers. Now I'm just some crybaby. Didn't realize that's what you guys thought of me. I'll never try to defend logical arguments again.

Well fuck you too.

Whether you're mocking Paris or me. Pleh.

Done.

"Done"? Followed by a dozen more posts (and counting)? Who do you think you are, Alex Paquin?

You know where Paris Hilton gets special treatment? At the STD clinic. BA-ZOING!!!
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm too stubborn to be done.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrTinkles wrote:
Who do you think you are, Alex Paquin?

"It doesn't matter what Walter Chaw thinks he thinks!"

----------
UDM
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laura wrote:
I wasn't yelling at people, I was requesting that people listen to what I say in caps. Oh dear lord, how DRAMATIC!

All caps=YELLING. That's a widely known Internet convention.

UDM
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

I was being sarcastic.
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Kand El, no exploding head until I get editing software. Razz NOW I am done. Really, we're just talking in circles.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well can you at least see panda and otter now? I don't pop up fuzzy animals for everybody!
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I can. Very cute. He asked for fish, and that's why I offered the sushi. But I ate the sushi already.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: