eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buy the Grind. Then buy the House.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Buy the Grind. Then buy the House. Reply with quote

Stupid move or typical Weinstein hosing the fans?

I would guess there's going to be a proper Grindhouse set eventually, with the fake trailers and everything else. Putting these out separately as two-disc editions, though, seems odd. Usually they put out bare-bones discs first, then wait six months or a year and unveil the fancy edition.

Watch, they'll put out the Grindhouse set without the extras on these 2-disc editions, so that if you want everything you have to buy everything.

I wasn't even a fan of Grindhouse and this still annoys me.

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, though - the part of me that bristles every time someone says that going to the theater is not worth it kind of loves this. "A movie bombs because you can't be arsed to get off your couch? No fake trailers for you!" And, hey, this particular movie was trying to recapture a specifically theatrical experience; it kind of fits that you won't get the whole thing on video.

Of course, I know the real reason is that the Weinsteins want to make more money, but I'm going to laugh at the people who said they'd wait for video anyway.

(Now announce the HD versions, please)
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to a theater, of course, increasingly isn't worth it. And more and more people are coming to that conclusion. It's probably the biggest reason why Grindhouse did flop. It was a nostalgia trip for a dead experience. I don't see many vinyl records on sale anymore either.

----------
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides, if they now wanted to capture the grindhouse video experience, they'd put the DVDs out in huge cardboard boxes labelled "Vestron Video."

----------
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...with shitty pan and scan transfers.

I seriously think you're on to something.
UDM
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Buy the Grind. Then buy the House. Reply with quote

Rob Gonsalves wrote:
I would guess there's going to be a proper Grindhouse set eventually, with the fake trailers and everything else. Putting these out separately as two-disc editions, though, seems odd. Usually they put out bare-bones discs first, then wait six months or a year and unveil the fancy edition.

As the full three-hour Grindhouse is what everyone wants on DVD, that in effect would be the fancy edition, I think.

I wonder if this has less to do with Harvey Weinstein than with QT and Rodriguez. This way, they each get a DVD release where they don't have to share the money with the other guy, or with the trailer directors, who are conspicuously absent.

UDM
SonicXtreme

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one of us decided to review both DP and PT separately, would that be allowed? Or am I out of luck on that one? I haven't seen either and I'm curious about the movies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> DVD Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: