eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BIOSHOCK

View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: BIOSHOCK Reply with quote

Been playing it for about a week on the 360, and wow. This game currently owns my soul, even though I'm not very far into it. I love a game that chooses to lavish time and money and effort on things like story and atmosphere and good voice acting and production values, and this game has it all. The most engrossing first-person shooter I've played in a long time, with a combat system of both conventional weapons and telekinetic powers that is easy to use and learn. The game feels like the Shining meets a post-apocalyptic Disneyland meets 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

If you have a 360 or high-end PC, then get your ass to the retailer of your choice and pick it up. (free demos are also availiable on LIVE or the Interwebs).

that's my PSA for the week
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been biding my time to wait for the 360 pricing to come down (we found an offer from FYE that gets us the whole shebang for $319- but I was ready to hold off till Halo 3 was out. The more I see of BioShock though... the more I can't wait.

And then I remember how little money I have for shit like this.

But I want BioShock- firstly the tv ad was brilliant- the juxtaposition of the pleasant Bobby Darin number, the noir-30's style and architecture underwater, the wonderful visuals, the creepy mechanics of the adversary, it looks fugging awesome, and your assessment confirms it. I gotta get this.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I think BIOSHOCK is gonna be a heavy hitter for sales and awards this year. Maybe it won't quite be the Halo 3 killer, but it'll come damn close. It really is a gorgeous game. I played it on saturday night for hours after the wife turned in, and kept going until my eyes were burning and I was nodding off. You can save the game and stop at any friggin' time but I JUST DIDN'T WANNA!

Get a 360. Between this and Halo 3 you should be up to your ass in gaming goodness until the new year.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, here's a reason to avoid the PC version, apparently

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=41921

Yet another reason why I prefer consoles these days, even though you might squeeze some improved graphics out of the PC version (if your machine has the right guts). with consoles, there's nothing to install, and no system compatability issues to worry about - Just throw the fuckin' disc in and play.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the only thing I play on the PC is Starcraft, which is addictive enough.

I actually got a little disinterested in GTA San Andreas (maybe not disinterested, but just stopped playing for a bit early on and just don't feel like re-learning all the game mechanics and maps over), and did my yearly Starcraft-a-thon- I love that game, and they are actually coming out with a third one. and that's pretty much the only game I go PC on.

But like I said, BioShock's making it harder to shuffle the 360 to the back of the Kandel purchase queue. Right now here's what I would buy on the 360 based on reputation and interest:

Gears of War
BioShock
Halo 3 (Duh)
Halo Wars- Halo a la Starcraft- what's not to love?
Conan- I don't know how good this will actually be but hey, Conan, like I'm gonna say no?

Helluva lot of shooters there, but I'm hoping the backwards compatibility will bolster that list with stuff I already have like Marvel Ultimate Alliance, GTA, etc.

Actually McKay, I just skimmed over a review of Bioshock on Gamespy and had to stop reading- its so cool sounding I just can't look at it anymore. They were describing the games moral choices, how balanced it is, and talking about napalm launchers and I got all teary.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of moral choices - this is fucking classic!

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2007/20070829.jpg
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ they churned that one out QUICK. Funny as hell and I'm horrified that I actually get the joke without even picking up the game. Now THAT'S good marketing.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well McKay buddy- I just won a bid on a used 360- so I'll be seeing ya out there!
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good times! PM me with your screen name once you're set up on LIVE. Then pick up Halo 3 and/or Call of Duty 4, cuz I guarantee that's all anyone is going to be playing on line for the next few months.
StingChameleon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im really looking forward to the PS3 version since I dont want an xbox
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me among the recent Bioshock converts since it hit PS3.

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Gonsalves, if I've said it once I've said it a hundred times- leave those little girls alone.

This one's actually on queue to be replayed- after two other games. Only this time I'm not going to be so nice...
mseaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plowed through the PC version, and loved it... more or less. Not to give anything away, but the once piece I was kind of disappointed in was the ending options. Apparently, one "bad" move in regards to the Little Sisters and you automatically get that ending. I was kind of hoping for some more variability or gray areas or something...

But still a kickass game. No doubt about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: