"Bloody, ballsy and funny as hell. Definately not for the squemish..."
When it comes to Zombie flicks they generally fall into two categories; The cheesy low-budget stuff, which I love, and the ones played strictly for laughs. Dead Alive fuses the best elements of both and throws in some unexpected twists.Dead Alive is a movie where most of the enjoyment comes in the form of graphic, and often hilarious, bursts of carnage that do an excellent job at catching the viewer off-guard.
I won't give away any of these parts in this review. I highly recommend that you check this one out without doing too much research. I have seen a few reviews and plot synopsis' out there that give away some of the best parts. Fortunately, I saw the movie before anyone had an oppurtunity to spoil some of the best moments or I would have been one pissed-off camper.
Don't even look at the back of the box. Here is all you need to know about Dead Alive to decide if it is your kind of movie...
1. It is a zombie movie. If you aren't a fan of the genre you may not have as much fun as I did watching it. Even still, if you like your gore by the bucket then you should find much to like about this one.
2. The acting is 90% better than 90% of the other Zombie flicks out there. 'nuff said...
3. Dead Alive is really gross As I mentioned above, there are blood 'n guts to spare in this puppy. This movie probably sets some sort of record for sheer volume of blood per minute.
4. It doesn't take itself too seriously. The one liners are well placed and their delivery is dead-on. Some parts are so intentionally corny and crude that you can't help but like it. At the same time, there are scenes of realistic violence that off-set the humorous parts quite nicely.
5. It doesn't wear out it's welcome The pacing is brisk and the story does a great job at holding your attention. Every time I watch it I get a little misty towards the end because I am not quite ready for the credits to roll(That is saying a lot coming from someone with the attention span of a hemped-up chiuahua.)
That is all I'm giving you.
If you are still interested after reading this far then I think it is a safe bet that you will enjoy it as much as I did.In my eyes, this is an instant horror classic. Simliar in tone to movies like Re-animator and Return of The Living Dead. This is among my favorite Zombie flicks of all time and I have seen a few. Ask Scott.