eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Civilization and Its Discontents (like me)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UDM
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Civilization and Its Discontents (like me) Reply with quote

As I move into my ninth month without a full-time job, I am rapidly losing all sense of humor about the whole jobhunting routine. It's just the culmination of tiny insults that have pushed me over the edge.

It's being told that I'm underqualified for a job that requires only a high school diploma. It's being told that I'm overqualified for a job in a field where I have no experience whatsoever.

I should have figured out the game years ago. But I just don't fit in very well. A relative of mine once told me I have an "obtuse personality." That's probably right.

You want to get by in the Real World, you have to speak the language. Next interview I get, I'm gonna go into corporate bullshit mode. "I simply wanted to say that I live to work, I care about nothing but money, I'd kill children for a promotion, I stay up nights worrying about my 'productivity,' and I think anyone who doesn't share my mercenary values ought to be taken out behind the barn and shot." Once hired, I will spend my time around the water cooler spreading dark rumors about the deviants among us who refuse to study the stock market.

Sometimes I wish like hell that I could pass for a Normal Person. But I hate people.

My cousin is married to a woman who thinks Harry Potter is Satanic. STOP EVERYTHING! KIDS ARE HAVING FUN! EVIL! EVIL! THIS HAS TO STOP! Her daughter can't read Harry Potter now. And if we're lucky, that kid will grow up believing that being a drone for companies like Enron is the most you can expect out of life.

Hell, I remember going into an employment office some years back, and the lady I spoke with warned me against telling potential employers that I had any hobbies or outside interests. "They'll think you have an attitude," she said. What the...?

Like I said, I should have learned the real lesson. I've just now realized that the whole purpose of the educational system is to teach kids how to abuse each other. So they'll fit in with society. So they'll be full of horror and contempt for anyone who will not go along with the master plan. And it's people like this who wind up in the Human Resources department of companies all across the land.

This isn't an original thought. I got it from reading R. D. Laing. Great guy, Mr. Laing was. He was terribly critical of the psychiatric establishment. Once he was brought to this patient, a woman, who completely resisted treatment. Ran around naked, tearing up the place. Drove the doctors nuts. Finally, Laing goes in there and takes his clothes off, so he'll be just like her. He got through to her that way.

It's probably very egotistical of me to view my inability to get a job as a symptom of the decay of society, but fuck it, I'm pissed off, and this is the Off-Topic board.

UDM
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took me 8 months and 30 days of one horrible experience (the worst job I've ever had) to get here. 8 months, no fulltime job, it just about drove me crazy.

I'm with you. I was told I was overqualified and way too underqualified. I was told to dumb down my resume, take all the management experience and all the accomplishments "because they don't want to see that." And I did it, I needed something that bad. It was only after I confessed this to a friend that I ended up with a lead that turned solid.

This process has to be one of the most dehumanizing around.

You know, maybe you should pitch your story to a local reporter, like local job market still struggles...etc. I thought about calling Eric D. at one point Wink

Seriously, hang in there (obligatory kitten poster.) And don't make the mistake I did. I settled for one job 3 months in and it turned out to be so horrendous maybe Wes Craven will call me.

-M
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:53 pm    Post subject: You gotta play the game right. Reply with quote

It's simple.

1. Go for jobs way above your standing.
2. Lie through your teeth on your resume.
3. Begrudgingly accept when the interviewer apologizes and offers you something at a lower level.
4. Never ever tell anyone that the PHD from Bangladesh University doesn't exist.

Seriously, I walked away from a job as a professional wrestling referee in a touring country town wrestling show in 1995 after reading a newspaper article about this new fangled internet thing that was going to revolutionize the world. I figured nobody knew anything about it and I could lie through my arse that I was an internet guru and all Ihad to do was learn on some poor dumb company's dime and keep telling them "these things take time, you know...

walked into a publishing company first day back in town and told them "I'm your internet guru. If you don't hire me, within the next twelve months you'll be left behind all your competitors. You need to be online and I can get you there." I held a resume with about 20% actual truth on it. I started the next day at my new job, with office. It too them almost six months to realize I didn't kow a GD thing about the internet. Took me a month to figure out how to even send an email. Fuck 'em. By the time they asked me to leave, I knew what I'd originally said I did and started my own business, consisting entirely of their clients.

The moral of this story - play the right game, not the one they tell you to play. Lie through your teeth and never feel bad. They owe you a living.

M'yeah!

OZ
the Grinch
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show them what bullshitting is all about...they have a name for "professional bullshitter".....it's called a "writer".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
UDM
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: Thanks, guys Reply with quote

Yeah, I need to reinvent myself. I've always wanted to be a consultant. I don't even know what the hell consultants do, but it sounds like a nice deal.

I tend to be brutally honest about things, as my friends find out to their horror when I critique their screenplays. But it's clearly time to do major revisions to the old resume.

UDM
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:53 pm    Post subject: Dude. Reply with quote

If you've been unemployed for nine months, tell them you started a business in that field and just sold it. Tough for them to check on that.

Oz
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was laid off in Utah for six months, got offered a job out here in San Francisco, came out to take the job, was told the position "would not be filled due to unforseen budgetary matters", spent 3 months sleeping on a friend's couch while I looked for something else, got hired with a consulting company, and have now just been told that Friday is my last day because all of their clients are backing out on projects. So I fully sympathize with ya'll.

Maegs is right, don't take the first thing that comes along. It's usually the worst thing. This company I worked for sucked. I like the clients I did work for, but the guys who signed my check were assholes. I'm kind of glad to be out of there, even though money will be a bitch until i get something else.

Oh, and consulting sucks. unless you're a highly skilled consultant with lots of experience and a solid client base, it sucks balls. Most of the time you're treated like a hired gun, and whenever the client has to cut the IT budget, your position is usually the first to go. Plus I spent half my life in fucking bay area traffic going everywhere between Wine Country, East Bay, and San Jose. Fuck it. The next job I get better be right on the BART line.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:06 pm    Post subject: Well... Reply with quote

I don't know, but I reckon you guys are just missing the obvious. This is the era of the online world. You can work for someone in Bangladesh as easily as you can get on a bus and work in an office for some asshole.

Let me make this very clear - any of you guys that have corporate experience and writing experience, if you want to make some doughbucks writing as a freelancer, it's easy to do. Now, before Scott tells me bullshit, I'm not talking about writing film reviews. I'm talking about technical writing, press release writing, brochures, sales emails, web content, ebooks, and that's not even discussing the glossy magazine/newspaper part of town. There's a ton of areas that people like you guys can make money writing as a freelancer, and all it really takes is the decision to go do it.

How do you go do it? I ain't saying, at least not here, but if you email me and you're serious about it, I can get you started. Take note: You might not make a lot for the first month or so, but once you've got a portfolio of work behind you and you don't feel weird asking someone to pay you $100 for two hours work, it's a cinch. Cool
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: