eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Explain something to me...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Explain something to me... Reply with quote

For his birthday, May 6 - less than a month ago, I purchased for my best friend, who I happen to have married, the Final Fantasy game that you play online with other people. Nearly a month later, I might not be able to give an accurate description of him if he went missing. Actually, he has gone missing. I have not seen him for days! The thing I hate most about this game, other than it replacing his real life with me, is that he seems unable to click pause. Pause would be useful to me. Even though he would still be spending far too much time on his computer, I would be able to have him every so often for whatever purpose is useful to me. No pause = unhappy me. Evil or Very Mad

So, explain to me, if you can, the joy of this game. Tell me, if you can, why it is so great. I'll wait, because I have had a month to learn a special brand of patience and delayed gratification. Neutral
Lurk

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boys! They are all the same no matter what age.

My roommate too. Fortunately this situation works out well for me as he is on the computer 24/7 in his room leaving me with his gi-normous entertainment system to play with. Before he was glued to the TV all the time and now I get the TV, two DVD players, and a truly kick ass stereo system with a gazillion CD's of his and mine. And he still cooks dinner for me and pays the rent and bills promptly on time. So I say, fry your brain with my blessing buddy.

I have every sympathy for you though. I have some friends who work at E.A. here in Vancouver, so I could probably find out some technical dorky explanation for you. Not that that would help.

Why don't you ask him about the concept of "aversion therapy" (he's a psych guy) and how you could implement a test program of after three hours straight on the computer, his lovely and friendly, but not amused wife gets to come in and sock him in the nose?

Just a thought.
jt

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok here's the deal. it is a mmorpg, which means you interact with players across the globe. i was very apprehensive about liking it at first, but it really has grown on me. admittedly, though, i have spent a lot of time on it recently and have neglected my familial duties. what i would like to do is set up an agreeable schedule for all of us. honey, would it be fine with you if i played after the little one is asleep, or is there another time that would be more preferable. all i ask is that i get about two hours. and the lack of a pause option does suck, but with people teaming up and relying on each other for help if one quits right in the middle, well......
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aversion therapy is a good thought. But, shouldn't not being with me more be punishment enough to change his ways?

jt - As I am not your mother or a cruise director, I will not be scheduling your activities for you. I will count on you to make better choices in the future, though. Thanks for stopping by.
Lurk

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But, shouldn't not being with me more be punishment enough to change his ways?

Well obviously. I know that and you know that, but he is a boy after all and sometimes they need gentle and subtle reminders. Like a sock in the nose Very Happy
jt

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get it ad nauseum you are not my mother/cruise director. you are my partner and your complaint is important to me. instead of ignoring your request, i am merely trying to find an amicable solution. take it as you will, i am done posting about it. lets talk about this at home.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is why I don't play on-line games. Single-player games provide far too much time suckage as it is.
SpasticLemur
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play Everquest. I had 6 characters, and the levels at the time I started only went to 50, but with expansions, they increased levels to 65.

MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games) are quite addictive. I was glued to the monitor trying to level my character up and get better equipment. Other fun was that as stated earlier, you get to interact with people all over the world.

Trouble is, as you get higher in level (especially with Everquest, or Evercrack as we call it) you MUST group with people to advance. Some mobs (bad guys) take as many as 50 plus people to bring them down, all working together. So as you progress, the politics involved of dividing up the loot gets nasty, one reason why I quit. Trying having say 65 people attend a killing, you have maybe 5 to 10 people that can use one thing that the bad guy gives up as loot. Those 5 to 10 can really get into some ugly arguments as to why whom should get what.

The other reason I quit, there is a command in EQ called /played. When typed, this gives you the exact amount of time that you have sat in front of the computer playing the game or advancing your character. I was astounded:

/played

Your current playtime on Aaldolur is 83 days, 16 hours, 20 minutes

Meaning that for the year that I played EQ, I sat in front of my computer screen for 83 TWENTY FOUR HOUR DAYS. I just had a hard time comprehending that I could sit at my computer for almost 3 full months out of a year playing a game. That's why it's called Evercrack.

My better half at the time was also a gaming widow, but then again, i can't stand to watch Lifetime on the TV 24 hours a day Rolling Eyes

Lemur
Lurk

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh My Lord 83 Days!!!

Well I can't say too much because I spend about four or five days a week on the ball field, but at least that's with "real" people. Very Happy
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and at least you're getting some exercise and sunshine

you all heard about that Asian kid who keeled over dead at an on-line cafe' after playing Evercrack for four days straight? drugs are baaaaad
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he got pulled into the game itself and is presently throwing discs at a glowing red dude in a game of life and death.
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that would be interesting.
the Grinch
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evercrack!

They call it Final Fantasy, because it's the last game you'll ever play. See ya. Video games are a drug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
the Grinch
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oz wrote:
Maybe he got pulled into the game itself and is presently throwing discs at a glowing red dude in a game of life and death.

Discs of Tron!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Explain something to me... Reply with quote

natasha_theobald wrote:
For his birthday, May 6 - less than a month ago, I purchased for my best friend, who I happen to have married, the Final Fantasy game that you play online with other people. Nearly a month later, I might not be able to give an accurate description of him if he went missing. Actually, he has gone missing.

Obviously you and I are both FF widows. Same thing goes on in this house. In fact, that's where the HE of the house is right now. Downstairs playing FF. Where he's been for the past two and a half hours.

My best friend and her boyfriend have taken up playing Evercrack. I used to speak to her on the phone about every other day (we live in different states now), but in the past 7 months since she's had Everquest, I don't think she's called me but once a month. No lie! On his weekends, her boyfriend doesn't even leave the house. He just sits in front of the computer playing EQ.

I wonder if they have one of the /played counters on FF.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!!!

I missed your post, probably in the midst of the move. Here we are in a whole new place with boundless adventures awaiting us just outside the front freakin' door, and STILL Final Fantasy gets priority. I hate this game!! I begged. I said - Please give it away. Let it ruin someone else's marriage. AAARRRGH!
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah. Wait until Halo 2 comes out.
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's time to:

A.) Put the PS2 into the microwave or melt the memory cards

B.) Mysteriously choose to revert to dial-up.

As any good pinko, I'm all about sabotage.

-M

-V
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Withhold sex. Trust me, it works.
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why should I be punished? Withholding only causes additional pain and suffering. I shouldn't have to sacrifice more due to his insanity....

Sabotage may work, but it might end up costing too much - money to replace the item, withering stares at my audacity, etc.
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refuse to replace it...then again, it may only work if you're the only one who knows where the bank is.

-M

-V
the Grinch
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends don't let friends play Evercrack. Same goes for FF online.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: