eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doom on X-Box

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Doom on X-Box Reply with quote

So? Anyone?

Just let me know if its worth getting after Halo 1,2, etc.- seems a bit light on story. McKay? Weinberg? I know you are getting this.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's next in my rental queue after the new Splinter Cell game. I should be getting it next week sometime, so I'll post my impressions then.

I'm so happy it's finally out. Now I get to play what everyone else got to play last fucking year Rolling Eyes
Nick Sievers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only played the PC version and besides looking great it pretty much sucks, unless you like a thin plot and shooting various monsters for hours on end. Boring. I also don't get all the talk about it being scary. its whole concept is the equivalent of someone standing behind a door and jumping out at you unexpectedly. Sure, it startles you but its not exactly scary.

But considering you like Halo 1 & 2 you may dig it, I had a bit of fun with the first Halo but thought the 2nd was a pile of crap.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the plot was thin (but then, have you played Doom 1 & 2 ? Very Happy ). and the idea of having to switch off between a gun and a flashlight in some areas just seems retarded. Who can't aim a gun AND a flashlight at the same time? Probably the person who can't walk and chew bubblegum either. But what the hell, I'm still curious enough to give it a shot, just to see what the doom universe looks like with some decent graphics, if nothing else.

Now hold on, though. HALO 2 a pile of crap? Wha? With the exception of replacing the excellent rifle of HALO with that crappy battle rifle, and the annoyance of having to play as the arbiter every other chapter, I thought Halo 2 was a vast improvement. Dual Wield, being able to gun in vehicles while the AI drives, and a full array of on-line game modes - all things that are vastly superior to the first game.
CaptainFun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Doom 3 on the PC and it’s an excellent game. It doesn’t have much as far as storyline is concerned, but I didn’t pick it up expecting something like Deus Ex. The previous Doom games were simple shoot-‘em-ups and I wouldn’t have it any other way with the third installment. To me, the kind of people who trashed Doom 3 for having a lacking storyline were like the people who trashed the movie Ong Bak for the same reason. If you came looking for a storyline, then you’re kind of missing the point.

The game is gorgeous-looking, fitting to it’s sci-fi horror theme. The many different environments made it worth coming back to play over and over again (the “Hell” stage alone is worth the price of admission). From what I’ve heard, the X-Box’s version of the multiplayer was better than the PC’s, which was the game’s only major downfall in my opinion. The multiplayer on the PC version didn’t feel very well put together. I won’t put down another $50 to play the game again of course (I already blew it on a copy of Jade Empire anyway), but I do have high expectations for the game.
Nick Sievers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if its because i've played more PC shooters but the gameplay in Halo is just awfully dated. Nothing felt new or original and doing nothing but blasting beasties for hours on end gets old. Multiplayer is the same, PC games have been doing far superior multiplayer for years.

It was even more disappointing because it was released within a couple of weeks of Half-Life 2, probably one of the most interesting FPS in a very long time.

Quote:
but then, have you played Doom 1 & 2 ?

Yeah but I was only about 10 when those games came out and plot didn't seem to be much of a factor back then. As silly as most video game plots are I would rather follow that than simply shoot demon spawn for no reason hours on end.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's the deal:

I happen to like story alongside gameplay (I think this comes from growing up with about a decade of playing atari 2600 and commodore 64 games which basically left me hungry for a bit of plot alongside endless gameplay after a while. I have not played very many shooters finding the original PC Doom's too pointless to bother with (considering I also saw Wolfenstein and Duke Nukem doing virtually the same thing only adding Nazi's and smartass comments). My real introduction to a shooter that I could not put down was the N-64 Goldeneye- though not the most heavy story, it had wonderful, defining gameplay.

Then came Halo which basically let me know what being a soldier in Aliens or Starship troopers must have been like. I got vehicles, great plot (and yes, I will be the first to admit that its an old, derivative plot- but dammit they did it with VERVE) that put me into the drama instead of passively watching it in a movie (the same reason I don't like many video game movies- the whole point was to let you enter a world and have control), and some incredible gameplay.

Halo 2 was an incredible visual feast, not as satisfactory as the first in terms of story (I would rather have played the Chief throughout, but did have fun with the Arbiter- just didn't think the Arbiter should have had the climactic battle of the game), I felt the flood, which really lent the game a fantastic horror element were just not as formidable and horrific this time around, but hardly the disappointment many claimed- I simply was left wanting more, which is the mark of a good game.

I am very eager to try out HL 1-2 one day, but having spent dough on an X-box I really don't feel like spending $50-100 on HL and finding time to play it on my fiancee's laptop, which is the only computer we have that could handle the necessary requirements to play the game. So it's Halo or bust for me.

I really just wanted to know if Doom 3 was worth it, with all that in mind- I've advanced beyond shooting for shooting's sake (plus Max Payne also was such a standout, I really do need something worth the time investment to make the grade). Unless it's for Goldie.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, since I haven't gamed on the PC in years, I guess I don't know what I've been missing in the FPS genre. But I enjoyed both Halo games quite a bit, and I think the thing that sets HALO apart from most games is how high the production values on it are. Everything, from graphics to story to level design, to music and sound, is top-notch and it all gives the game a very cinematic feel.

As for plot in games, I always prefer a plot-heavy game like Silent Hill to a brainless shoot-em-up FPS or all the sports/fighter/driving games. Plot is good. Plot and ATMOSPHERE is the best (Silent Hill, Max Payne, Splinter Cell - all good examples of this). But if a game has little plot but fantastic atmosphere, it goes a long way towards relieving some of the monotony.

Well, I should have my hot little hands on Doom 3 early next week. I'll let ya know.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played for a couple of hours last night. I like it more than I expected to. Visually, it's great. Lots of interactivity with the environment, great lighting effects. Ambient sounds are also well-done. You hear lots of guys screaming and dying over the radio, or in some far-off room that's muffled by the walls. It's really creepy and makes you feel like you're in the movie Aliens at times.

I still think the having to switch between flashlight and gun is kind of dumb, but I'm getting used to it - and I admit, it does add to the suspense. Also, the levels look fantastic, but my one complaint about them is that they are far too linear and claustrophobic. Granted, claustrophobic is good in a survival horror game, but I hope there will be some bigger, more open areas down the road just to break up the monotony.

So far, so good. I'm actually hooked on the game already. I may even have to put the new Splinter Cell game on hold for a while.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I gotta say it - this game owns. I haven't been able to play it as much as I'd like, but the deeper I get into it, the creepier it gets. The use of lighting (or lack thereof) and sound effects is almost masterful in creating a really creepy environment. There are some areas where I've actually been afraid to go into the next room. I haven't had a video game freak me out that much since the original Silent Hill.

The online modes are okay. Coop is kind of fun, but I didn't care for the deathmatch. Too fucking dark to see anyone, and there's no flashlight in DM. But the single-player campaign is a blast. Having a partner in co-op removes too much of the scare factor.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok McK-
So gameplay and atmosphere is good. Is there any compelling plot to speak of, or is it room shoot up after room shoot up?

How would it match up to The Suffering (which I have not played), or how does it better or define itself from Halo? I have to say, when you first find the Flood in Halo 1 and need to get out of their containment chamber- that and the winding journey to blow up Halo is some tense, freaky shit that I will not soon forget- playing at 1am and jumping at every creak.

Is Silent Hill on the X-box as well? Which game has the mutated zombie wasps and sharks- that sounds fun.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that the gameplay and weapons are on par with Halo (minus the super long jump ability and dual-wield, of course). The atmosphere is way scarier than the flood scenes in Halo. It's a really good combination of "Jump out of the closet" scares, and the more drawn-out sense of dread that comes from creeepy monster sounds in the next room and equally creepy ambient sounds. The lighting and shadows are also used to full effect, and things will jump out of some tiny patch of shadow that you thought was empty. Trust me, if your favorite parts of Halo were the flood, then you'll love this shit. It must be played in the dark with the sound up for the full effect though (and a fat bowl before hand doesn't hurt either Wink ). I've tried playing it at a friend's house in the daytime, and it just isn't the same. At all.

I'd say it's also scarier than the Suffering, although that game had a greater variety of locations and characters and a more involved story line. There is a story in Doom, but it's mostly a backstory that you get from picking up the PDA's of dead people and accessing their email and voice logs. It's kind of a cool approach to telling the story, actually, since just about everyone but you is dead (you do find the occasional survivor that you can interact with, though).

Oh, and one more thing - the having to switch off between a weapon or a flashlight thing is actually cool. I know I hated it at first (as did many others), but I've really grown to like it. It gives a whole new dynamic to the game and adds to the suspense. Do you go down that corridor with the flashlight and see what's in the shadows, but have to back up and switch weapons? Or go down it armed, but unable to see shit? If you custom config the controller though, weapon/flashlight switching quickly becomes second nature (I don't like the switch button location in the default controller setup).

I think Silent Hill 2, 3, and 4 are on Xbox. 2 was pretty good, and 3 was okay, but 4 was really repetitious. The best was the original on PS1, though. That game gave me nightmares.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit this game scared me so bad last night, I literally jumped up off the couch. My heart was still beating fast five minutes later. God, it's been so long since a game was able to give me some proper scares. I LOVE IT!.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds intriguing- I tellya, don't know if I want that freaky a time- the Flood had me paranoid as hell playing late at night. Is there enough story to give a sense of accomplishment? Are you trying to stem the tide of demons pouring through, or just get off the planet alive- is there a bit of good story beyond just survival? I think that's my only hesitation at this point as far as a rental or purchase is concerned- that and it looks like Starcraft Ghost is pretty much MIA at this point.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you pick up a lot of story thorugh the emails and video/audio logs you find. What's nice is that you can check those at your liesure and don't have to sit through a bunch of expository cutscenes to get that story. In fact, you can start listening to an audio log, exit out of your PDA, and it'll keep playing while you continue to explore.

As for goals, though, you're basically trying to make it through the base alive with the eventual goal of escape. But in order to do this, you have to find a way to seal the entrance to hell and stem the tide of monsters. but it's mostly broken down into smaller objectives like find key A to get to door B to find control panel C to activate whatever objective D is.

But really, I just like the killin' Smile

Definitely worth a rental. I'm thinking of buying my rental copy, too, because my online game service is selling it used for $30 with free shipping right now.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good enough for me. Thanks man.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing - play it alone in the dark WITH HEADPHONES. I'm on my second run-through, and I'm noticing all kinds of creepy sounds on the phones that I don't remember from the last time. Whatever other shortcomings this game may have, the sound design is fucking masterful.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live out in the middle of nowhere with woods around me. That might just be too much. I'd probably end up involuntarily swatting my fiancee accidentally if she came downstairs and put her hand on my shoulder or something whilst deep in the throes of gameplay causing me to flail about in surprise- I tend to react violently when startled and paranoid.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, that's the PERFECT setting. Just warn her to hold up a pillow in front of her when she taps your shoulder Very Happy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: