eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your first DVD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bentino Furioso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Your first DVD Reply with quote

Movie City News just linked to some pieces in USA Today re attending theaters to see movies vs watching DVDs at home. The point was made that while we can often remember the first movie we went to a theater to see (although I can't), we don't remember the first DVD we watched.

Mine was The Maltese Falcon.
My first video cassette was The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

Anyone else remember their first DVD or video?
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the very first group of DVD purchases I made upon buying my first DVD player from The Wiz:

Aliens
Bachelor Party
Caddyshack
Conan the Barbarian

Now that I see this list, I can tell you in all honesty I had no idea till today I purchased them alphabetically- total coincidence.

I can remember some of my first rentals when I got to use my VCR card on my own I think:

The Howling
The Amazing Spider Man: The Deadly Dust (live 1970's one)
CaptainFun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first DVD I remember buying was "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". I bet that there were a few others before it, but that's the earliest I can remember.
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first DVD I bought was Gladiator. We didn't even have a DVD player yet.

-M

-V
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first batch was:

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
Pleasantville
Dark City

lindy03

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first dvd I bought was The Matrix for my son, for Christmas. I honestly don't remember the first that I actually watched.

Vhs...that was forever ago Smile I do remember that I saw The Empire Strikes Back for the very first time on vhs...my former father-in-law had recorded it from HBO. I also remember renting The Cotton Club and American Gigolo.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut

It came with my first DVD player, too.
Graecyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first DVD was actually purchased by accident, back when all I had was a VHS. I had bought 4 movies on Amazon.com and accidentally chose DVD for one instead of VHS.

It was The Mod Squad.

But after that, the first DVD I INTENTIONALLY bought... was the box set of A Nightmare on Elm Street.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jason Whyte
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The first DVD I bought was Gladiator. We didn't even have a DVD player yet.

The first two DVD's I ever purchased...both Contact and Boogie Nights were in my possession over two months before I actually owned a DVD player. heh. I knew I was getting one around Christmas, so I picked up about 25 or so beforehand. Man, those were the days.

Now about 600 discs later, I'm regretting it. Smile

Jason
"I talked to Jeremy Piven on the phone, and he told me that he discovered that he had a very high level of mercury. So my understanding is that he is leaving showbusiness to pursue a career as a thermometer." -- David Mamet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MrTinkles
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great topic.

For VHS, I remember my family buying a VCR in about 1984, and we didn't own any tapes for a while. We would tape things off of TV and watch them a lot, or rent tapes. One frequent rental was "Billy Cosby: Himself," of which I'm sure I can still quote large portions. I don't think we ever did buy it, we just rented it. That was back when you only got your rentals for one night! If you can imagine. I remember my grandmother asking, "What if you want to watch it again, or spread out your viewing over a few nights?" And I thought, What an absurd idea. Why would you need a tape for longer than a day? And now, apparently everyone agrees with my grandmother, which would be scary if it were extended beyond the realm of video rentals.

I have no idea what my first DVD purchase was. I know I bought my first DVD player in about June 2000, and I subscribed to NetFlix immediately. I do know the first DVD I ever watched, though, prior to that, at a friend's house. It was "Ravenous." I remember being fascinated by the idea of "chapters," where you could just skip to a particular point in the movie.

But regarding USA Today's original point, I don't remember the first movie I saw in the theater. We didn't go often when I was a kid, because there were six children in the family and movies were expensive. We'd go if there was a new Disney cartoon or a re-release of an old one. So I assume it was something like that, but darned if I can tell you what it was.
genji

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark City. It was a bare bones release over here, so I had to buy it again (US import) for the director's commentary, and the Ebert one.

It was the movie that got me into movies.

As for VHS... the first one I can remember watching (not owning) was For a Few Dollars More, which my Dad owned. I didn't really get it back then, thought it was boring. Now I own that DVD too. Smile
Dawn of the Matt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First DVDS: Blade, Something About Mary, Austin Powers , and there was one more I can't remember. I remember it well though cause we bought that DVD player when DVD players cost like 9,000 dollars plus your first born.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppose that's ONE method of birth control...

Civil trade.

Bahaha.
Dawn of the Matt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graecyn wrote:
Suppose that's ONE method of birth control...

Civil trade.

Bahaha.

Considering I was the first born I kind of objected to it, but the nice Vietnamese family treats me right. If I'm especially good I get two bowls of rice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only two???

Sheesh. I get one a day, and a half a squid to pick my teeth.

Gross huh?
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVDs: Bought a junky budget copy of Charade (have luckily upgraded since to the Criterion version) when we bought our depressingly expensive early adopter first player; the store didn't have much of a selection, so we went immediately to Suncoast before heading home to load up on Batman, Austin Powers, and two or three others.

VHS: Received The Man Who Knew Too Much and Citizen Kane as a birthday gift from a mom who suddenly decided I'd be the one to start a video collection (we had previously taped like crazy off of cable). A few days later, I went out to buy Charade (it's a habit, you see) and Sneakers.

Rental: Not sure which was the first for us, but the first I remember was the G.I. Joe cartoon (the one with the "MASS Device").

Good times.

Dave
The Untrained Eye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First dvd: L.A. Confidential.

First vhs (for myself): It was either Things To Come or Africa Screams (Abbott & Costello) (circa '85/'86).

First vhs for someone else: Jaws (circa '83/'84).
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First batch:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> DVD Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: