eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nintendo Wii

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Grinch
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Nintendo Wii Reply with quote

What's the word on this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

much cheaper than a PS2, decent selection of launch titles (including backwards compat for GameCube titles, I believe), and everyone is raving about the gimmicky motion sensor controller (personally, I don't feel like having to wave my arms around constantly just to play a fucking video game, but that's me). I'm curious, but not curious enough to run out and buy one at launch. Maybe I'll pick one up later used, or after a couple of price drops.
the Grinch
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably gonna pick one up in six to twelve months. I thought the controllers were going to be a gimmick too, but everyone I've talked to that's used it or owns says it's really great. Plus, it's the only system my girflfriend expressed an interest in. The ladies seem to did Nintendo.

I just hope they get a better mix of titles, they really need to get off of Mario's dick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped bothering about game consoles around 1995, so whether it's PS3 or XBox or Wii I don't really pay attention to such things, except that Mario has become Nintendo's most memorable trademark character. It's like Mickey Mouse for Disney -- it implies a long-standing tradition, though you don't see many recent cartoons with Mickey in them, even though Goofy and the Donald Duck universe (Uncle Scrooge and the nephews usually) were given their own TV series. And in video games, Nintendo is the best-placed company to establish its credentials because it used to dominate the market to such an extent 20 years ago that there was no real competition outside of Sega until about 1995 when Sony launched the first PlayStation.

In other words, Mario implies tradition, and in the relatively new field of video games Nintendo is the only company to have any type of distinguished history in the field.

It amazes me still that before Wii some very serious analysts were almost telling Nintendo to abandon console production and stick to producing games for others because they had become third player (behind Sony and Microsoft). In this respect alone the popularity of the Wii seems like a nice reversal of fortune. And they also seem to have understood one key principle -- price plays a large part in purchasing decisions. Sure, you can have all the bells and whistles accompanying the PS3, but is it worth $600? For a price like that, I'd rather buy a newer computer.
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard about this site on television:

http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/ a.k.a. dubbleya dubbleya dubbleya dot some people should really get a life dot com.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got one for Xmas, and the entire family is addicted as all hell. Granted, I'm very much a non-video game person (due to my suckiness at them), so this is coming from a non-gamer*. But still. I can't put the damn thing down at all.

(*Which may be the point: cheaper price tag, graphics that aren't meant to impress, and easy-ass game play. This is designed for the average family.)
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Cornelius wrote:
(*Which may be the point: cheaper price tag, graphics that aren't meant to impress, and easy-ass game play. This is designed for the average family.)

And also I hear that Sony's image went from bad to worse (the rootkit fiasco, perhaps?), which may have helped Nintendo even more.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some goodies I've discovered lately that add to the Wii's family-friendly rep:

It's got a diary on it that logs every game played each day, and for how long. Lets parents keep an eye on their kids.

Easy parental lock of rated games. The wife and I personally prefer just watching after our kid instead of just up and locking her out, but some parents want/need this, and it's damn easy to use.

Wii Sports comes with a training program that follows your performance in physical activities and challenges you to actually work out while you play. To avoid overdoing it, it also pops up a "why not take a break for a while?" message during long sporting games.

It's also loaded with a ton of genius marketing gimmicks, like one where you can save your avatar to your remote, take your remote to your friend's house, and presto! You're on their Wii. Oodles of other web-community-esque concepts are designed to build serious loyalty. If it pans out to big sales, the guy who thought this stuff up is due for a proper raise.
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be clear: even though Nintendo is regarded as third place in the industry, they make a great deal more money than Sony and MS. Sony's game division barely made a profit and MS continues to lose money. XBox and the PS are so complex and expensive, and there is a market out there for a pure gaming station (vs. DVDs, streaming music, etc.) Nintendo is making serious cash from the consoles and didn't piss everyone off by screwing with backwards compatiblity.

I'm totally intrigued by the features that Dave has mentioned as well. The logging and parental locks are very smart. I can't stand to play games right now because they're usually so boring, but the idea of something being more interactive with the Wii controller is appealing. It was incredibly smart from a marketing perspective to build something that does, as Grinch said, appeal to women. I know a lot of moms for whom a lack of backwards compatibility is anger-inducing.

Anyway, this is a console I could see buying.

-V
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way they make more money than Sony as a corporation - unless you're talking stricktly on a console per-unit basis. My gripe with Nintendo is that with the exception of a few Resident Evil games and the like, most of their titles are for the kiddies. I'm just not into the Goofy-ass Mario arcadey style games or the Zelda shit. However, they are starting to add some more mature looking titles to the mix like Red Steel, and the controllers do look intriguing (although I can see my arms getting tired after a couple of hours of gaming). I will probably pick one up after a couple of price drops and a few more mature-demographic oriented titles to sweeten the pot.

Fuck the PS3 though, there's no way I'm paying $600+ for a console unless it also cooks breakfast and comes with the virtual girlfriend suck module. Of course, I thought $400 was steep for the 360 at the time, but in retrospect it's been worth every penny. I like the multifunctional use of it, and use it just as much for movies and music as for gaming.
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a corporation? No. Sony as a company makes more. However, Nintendo's game division makes more money than Sony's game division.

-V
SonicXtreme

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to chime in with Dave about how sweet the Wii is. And this is coming from a gamer.
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Paquin wrote:
And also I hear that Sony's image went from bad to worse (the rootkit fiasco, perhaps?), which may have helped Nintendo even more.

"rootkit" what? What's that? (I guess I could look it up, but you could probably explain it to me in English. haha.)

Just the fact that it's called a "wee" makes me laugh. Although when my husband told me it was backwards compatible, I immediately wanted to buy one. Although, how far back does that go? Because I still have my Nintendo and my husbands SNES. Razz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SonicXtreme

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a feature called the Virtual Console. This feature allows you to download games onto your Wii from the Super Nintendo, the old NES, the Genesis, the N64, and the Turbo-Grafx-16. They release new games every Monday for the Virtual Console. You have to buy the Wii Points Cards though. The more points you have, the more games you can buy. Older games like the NES and SNES games cost less than the N64 games. You also need the Classic controller that they have for the Wii. Now if you have games for the Gamecube, you can play them on the Wii, you just need the controllers for the Gamecube.
the Grinch
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Nintendo's advertising should be something like this:

"It's the only gaming system you can play several times a week and still expect to get laid".
the Grinch
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Cornelius wrote:
Some goodies I've discovered lately that add to the Wii's family-friendly rep:

I'd like to see them do remakes of some arcade classiccs and use the Wii controllers potential...hell, you could just port the originals over and it'd be cool as heck. Could you imagine Discs of Tron, Centipede, Robotron, Tempest, etc, reamped for Nintendo Wii?

Can you imagine what kind of games would develop if they allowed more 3rd Party companies? I highly doubt it, but imagine the sex games one could develop.

Man, suddently THX1138 and that book Vurt aren't looking like SciFi so much anymore.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: