eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you have a screensaver, you should read this.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: If you have a screensaver, you should read this. Reply with quote

Sometimes technology doesn't suck. I just joined a thing called 'The Grid' and it quite rules.

It's basically a deal whereby you download a little screensaver, install it on your machine and every time you're not using your machine for an extended period of time, a program kicks on which gets research data from Oxford University, analyzes it, then sends back the results when it's finished.

What research data you might say. Cures for cancer, anthrax and small pox I'd tell you.

Basically, in order to figure out how to cure these things, scientists have to go through so much data that it could conceivably take their computers hundreds of years, but by using this thing they can utilize your computer's downtime and get things done all the faster. There's 2 million folks taking part in this thing, so that's a shitload of CPU time being taken care of in one hit, rather than over a long period of time.

And it's kind of neat to wake up in the morning and find that while you were asleep your PC's screensaver identified 52 molecule structures that could conceivably deliver a drug that kills cancer. Sure as hell beats flying toasters.

So if your machine stays switched on when you're not using it, go to http://www.grid.org/home.htm, download the software (it's not big) and do something useful with your downtime.

Oh, and join the 'eFilmCritic.com' team when you sign up. Razz
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's pretty cool. I've seen something similar in the SETI screensavers, where they use the CPU downtime to analyze radio signals from space. A pretty cool-looking screen saver, even if it doesn't help us find aliens.
pike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agreum, very cool screensaver, lets find some aliens now Very Happy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: